What's new

Rice..

Jeeragasamba for Ambur biriyani and basmati for pulao and Hyderabadi biriyani. Broken raw rice or red rice for daily consumption.
Cooked in a cooker.
In a large vessel to ‘dum’ it when making biriyani.
Man now I’m craving some Ambur mutton biriyani🙂

I grew up in rice country. We ate rice all the time. Nearly all of that had a Doguet's label on the bag, but we also ate a lot of popcorn rice (similar to basmati). I can't even begin to add up how much rice & gravy I've eaten.

Everyone had a Hitachi Chime-O-Matic rice cooker. When I got my own place in college, a Chime-O-Matic was one of the first things I bought. That thing served me (and then us) well for I don't know how long--probably close to 20 years. I was a little heartbroken when it pooped out and I discovered that Hitachi quit making them. We now have an Aroma that does the same job in the same way (and is several years old).

We keep basmati, jasmine, and brown rice in the house. I occasionally get a wild hair and pick up something more exotic.

While I do like to have fun using different liquids and adding different herbs or spices to the rice, a lot of the time I just want a simple, "clean" rice flavor. When I do add something, it can be turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, garlic (fried a little), onions (also browned a little), fennel, or any combination of the above. I've always loved the aroma of cardamom with rice, as well, but we don't tend to keep cardamom around.

It's also good to toast white rice a little before cooking.

Rice and gravy you say?

Oh, yes. Just white, long grain rice with either cream gravy or brown.
My wife likes when I bake a chicken and make chicken gravy. She loves gravy on rice.

This morning she asked me how i make these rice patties. You mix a couple eggs into leftove rice. Enough to make a really wet mixture. Then add green onions peas carrots if you have them. then fry in patty form. Basically a fried rice patty.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My mother-in-law's specialty dinner was roast, rice and gravy. That and some pull-apart rolls would stick with you for a while!

Supermarket long grain white rice. I use a method I found online a while back.

• Put desired amount of rice in a large microwave-safe bowl.
  • Rinse rice till clear.
  • Fill with water till level is one finger knuckle over the level of the rice. (Water amount adjusts automatically!)
  • Nuke 20 minutes on high

That's it. Texture comes out like Chinese take-out rice!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Rice is served at every meal in my house, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
A decent rice cooker is well worth the investment if you want good rice.
2 cups Thai jasmine rice, 2 cups water.
Cooks itself and stays hot till you're ready to eat.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just started eating Brown Rice. I can’t get it figured out in the Instant Post. I do the 1:1 ratio. Used a couple different settings and times and still not perfect.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just started eating Brown Rice. I can’t get it figured out in the Instant Post. I do the 1:1 ratio. Used a couple different settings and times and still not perfect.

Brown rice, because of the outer coating on the grain, needs more water and a longer cooking time.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Brown rice, because of the outer coating on the grain, needs more water and a longer cooking time.
I suppose so. But just like everything you read online there are 900 different opinions. I’ve looked up a bunch of recipes and most say 1:1. Some say 1:2 some say 1:1.5. Some say cook medium pressure, some say high pressure, some say 20 minutes natural release, some say 20 minutes with 10 minutes natural then quick release. Some say don’t even bother just go buy it fully cooked from a restaurant

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I suppose so. But just like everything you read online there are 900 different opinions. I’ve looked up a bunch of recipes and most say 1:1. Some say 1:2 some say 1:1.5. Some say cook medium pressure, some say high pressure, some say 20 minutes natural release, some say 20 minutes with 10 minutes natural then quick release. Some say don’t even bother just go buy it fully cooked from a restaurant

Yeah, I know. I cook white rice at 1:1, and brown rice at 1:1.5 and in our rice cooker, cooking time is x1.5 of white rice.
It's a matter of taste too. Some folks like sticky gooey rice that comes in clumps, some like each individual grain to stand on its own. We prefer it soft and sticking slightly together, but individual grains will fall off as you eat it.

Legion

Staff member
Rice is served at every meal in my house, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
A decent rice cooker is well worth the investment if you want good rice.
2 cups Thai jasmine rice, 2 cups water.
Cooks itself and stays hot till you're ready to eat.
I lived with a Chinese family for ages, and it was the same, except it was plain white rice.

Rice cookers are so inexpensive, and foolproof. Even though we have an instapot I still keep one for when we want to cook two things at once.

There's another method of cooking brown rice that is worth trying. You boil the rice in an excess of water, like pasta, then pour off the excess water, put the rice back in the pot and let it rest for 10 minutes to finish cooking and absorb the residual water. This has the further advantage of reducing arsenic levels by about 60%.

Use a ratio of 6 parts water to 1 part of rice. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Rinse the rice in a strainer. Add the brown rice to the pot, cook at a low boil for 30 minutes, uncovered. Pour off excess water over a strainer in the sink. Put the rice back in the pot, put a cover on and let it rest for 10 minutes. Fluff up your rice and serve. Comes out great and so simple to do.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
There's another method of cooking brown rice that is worth trying. You boil the rice in an excess of water, like pasta, then pour off the excess water, put the rice back in the pot and let it rest for 10 minutes to finish cooking and absorb the residual water. This has the further advantage of reducing arsenic levels by about 60%.

Use a ratio of 6 parts water to 1 part of rice. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Rinse the rice in a strainer. Add the brown rice to the pot, cook at a low boil for 30 minutes, uncovered. Pour off excess water over a strainer in the sink. Put the rice back in the pot, put a cover on and let it rest for 10 minutes. Fluff up your rice and serve. Comes out great and so simple to do.

Thanks!

I posted earlier about Lundberg Organic Short Grain Brown Rice... Fifty years of preparing and eating. I use a seasoned, old, cast iron Wagner 2 qt Dutch oven. Same one I started with in college. Heat two cups of water, covered, bring to boil. While you're waiting, take one cup Brown rice, short grain, rinse under water in strainer. When water boils, salt is optional, place Rice in Dutch oven. Cover, bring back to boil. Turn down to lowest heat setting, to simmer. In Denver, at altitude, cooking time is 45 minutes from second boil. Set timer, do NOT stir Rice. After 45 minutes, turn off and remove from heat, keep cover on and leave alone, it will continue steaming lightly. If at sea level, use approx one hour cooking time. This is a tried and true cooking method. Do not stir. If you need to check on Rice while cooking, open cover, take wooden spoon, in the middle of the Rice, just move rice away from top to bottom, a little. This will give you an idea how much liquid you have left. Take my advice with the cooking times. Use a similar Le Creuset Dutch oven. The heavier the Dutch oven the better. You can cook at very low simmer. As mentioned, this is THE fifty year experiential method. We eat a lot of short grain organic rice. Lundberg. Costco sells a 12lb bag, eleven bucks. Natures Broom. Great stuff. Enjoy!

20210628_185728.jpg

20210628_185721.jpg

I only use jasmine with curry dishes, basmati the rest of the time. I like the Kohinoor brand extra long basmati and get it by the 10 lb. bag at the local India grocery, about $14. Takes 3 rinses to get most of the starch off and I add a splash of olive oil to the water; slightly less than 2 cups (liquid measure) to 1 cup rice (volume measure).

For cooking, I have the 1st rice cooker, a 70s National (Matsushita Japan). I picked it up for the novelty factor, always made rice stovetop (did not want a gadget) but curious when I saw who made it. Have not done rice stovetop in 5 years, this thing just works great. Rice is perfect every time and after I load it up I can forget about it. It does one thing and only an ON switch that shuts off automatically when the rice is cooked; ~15 minutes. Then wait ~10 minutes, fluff & serve. If it ever breaks I'd buy another one.

ebay pic

proxy.php

proxy.php

In recent months have been alternating between Jasmine and Parboiled rice. Our rice cooker usually stays in the cabinet, choosing to cook in a glass container inside the microwave.

This video is 9-10 minutes long but describes how a basic rice cooker works. Pretty interesting.

No longer eat it BUT Hawaiian roots it was a staple and anyone from the islands knows this :) hahahaha

that said white sticky (calrose) prefer out of a GOOD rice maker that and Aloha Shoyu and whatever with it

Basmati or Thai.
Wash it REALLY well.
Let it DRY .
In a pot melt 2 tablespoons of clarified butter and saute the rice well for 1 minute to cover all the grains well with butter.
Add 2 cups of hot chicken stock per 1 cup of rice.
When it starts boiling reduce heat to almost zero and put the lid on .
DO NOT touch anything for 15 minutes until rice absorbs all the water.
Remove from stove and let it rest for 10 minutes ,again without removing the lid or,even better,by removing the lid and covering the pot with a clean cotton hand towel.
There you go : classic pilaf rice!

Top Bottom