What's new

Rex Envoy aggression

Also, I have seen folks say it is much more aggressive than a GC84 and others say it is not nearly so. Strange how much YMMV with this one.

I find my Red Tip pleasurable so I hope I like it.
For me the GC .84 SB is both smoother and more efficient than the RexEnvoy. The Envoy Feels more Aggressive than the Gamechanger but in the results it leaves more stubble behind per pass in comparison to the GC. Envoy definitely has one of the best handles and I will give it that . YMMV, and hope the Rex Envoy works out for you. Happy Shaves!

If I can add anything, I used Muhle R89 with a Feather or Polsilver razor blade (vintage from the 80s) before and it was a great set and my stubble is hard. Now I use Rex Envoy with different razor blades (Muhle, Sputnik) and the effect is perfect. This razor cuts as effectively as the Muhle R41 and is only slightly more aggressive than the R89. It's perfect for me.

Also, I have seen folks say it is much more aggressive than a GC84 and others say it is not nearly so. Strange how much YMMV with this one.

I find my Red Tip pleasurable so I hope I like it.
This is exactly how it is for me, the Envoy is the smoother and milder shaver.

Well it is here, not sure when I will shave with it as I’m going to CO for a couple of weeks but l’ll report once I do.

4C4D0E87-82BC-4293-9457-01EB68C8757C.jpeg
4AC4F444-04CB-47B5-8E3D-475D811C11BC.jpeg

question for those who have both the Ambassador and Envoy, is there a reason to buy the latter if you already own the former?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
question for those who have both the Ambassador and Envoy, is there a reason to buy the latter if you already own the former?

If you ask me - the answer is no. The Ambassador offers you everything the Envoy does, and more. I've also seen that some folks say that the Ambassador is a more successful razor, and although the Envoy is supposed to be designed along the same lines, actually shaves with less comfort.

If you ask me - the answer is no. The Ambassador offers you everything the Envoy does, and more. I've also seen that some folks say that the Ambassador is a more successful razor, and although the Envoy is supposed to be designed along the same lines, actually shaves with less comfort.
Does the cost of a razor put you off the purchase? It is very expensive for what a Merkur 34c or DE89 can do. Do we really need a stainless steel or titanium razor?

Well, I did a quick shave this afternoon ahead of my trip with the Envoy. I did not find it as aggressive as a Red Tip, I would put it solidly between a Super Speed/Tech and Red Tip.

The blade is held absolutely rigidly and the knurling is SO NICE in your hand. I used a Shark Plat with 2 shaves on it and it was a nice close drama free shave.

It was not as effortless as a slant but I wasn’t expecting it to be. It is really efficient and feels like a rock solid tool.

I was a Snap-On franchisee after a career in fixed operations in GM dealerships (Master Tech, Advisor and Manager) and to me this is a “Snap-On” quality of tool. It just feels really wonderful in the hand.

Looking at it, you are rewarded with an appreciation for the fantastic machine work and elegant yet utilitarian looks.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Does the cost of a razor put you off the purchase? It is very expensive for what a Merkur 34c or DE89 can do. Do we really need a stainless steel or titanium razor?

Well, the Envoy is not exactly Merkur 34c or DE89. It is more aggressive and feels different. But I don't know whether it is worth the price - this is probably a subjective matter. I've bought the Envoy because I really liked the design. In my opinion this razor looks pretty cool. It has its stronger and weaker sides, like any other razor. I wouldn't say it is a great razor, but it isn't bad either. But if you can afford the Ambassador, it is a much better investment.

Last edited:
Well, the Envoy is not exactly Merkur 34c or DE89. It is more aggressive and feels different. But I don't know whether it is worth the price - this is probably a subjective matter. I've bought the Envoy because I really liked the design. In my opinion this razor looks pretty cool. It has its stronger and weaker sides, like any other razor. I wouldn't say it is a great razor, but it isn't bad either. But if you can afford the Ambassador, it is a much better investment.
And I also bought Envoy for the same reason. Before that I shaved a Muhle R89 with a Feather or Polsilver razor blade (vintage from the 80's) and it was an excellent set.

I think with the Envoy you are not buying perfect performance (I know I’m a broken record but the $34 FOCS performs better in every way for me) but you are buying a beautifully machined tool. It oozes quality.

Hi
I've noticed my Envoy has slight positive blade exposure making it slightly more aggressive than my Mercury 34 HD and Fine Marvel,
I'm still getting used to it, fine on my cheeks and head ( I have short beard) but I am struggling with the neck line, currently trying different blades but seems I cannot go ATG on the neck at all, only back to DE razor for about 8 months though so still perfecting technique

Top Bottom