What's new

Rex Envoy for Daily Shaver?

Started down the path of wet shaving about 6 months ago and I think my technique, prep and knowledge are finally solid at this point. I shave daily and would prefer something that's acceptable with 1 pass. Looking to upgrade from a Merkur 34C and 25C, both of which are too mild for 1 pass (might as well be using a Mach 3 or Fusion). Would the Rex Envoy fit that criteria or be too aggressive? Would you consider it smooth with the right blade? I have fairly mild skin and call it medium growth?

I have one and could use it everyday if there weren’t other razors calling out my name each morning. It’s a great razor. I wouldn’t class it as aggressive. It’s built like a tank and very good value for money - ie punches well above its price point.

I have an Envoy. I would call it slightly aggressive. IMHO it is more aggressive than the standard Blackbird but not quite as efficient.

I have a few other razors I like better for shaving every day. I'll name them since I'm sure you'll ask. Blackbird Lite, Timeless .95, Karve Overlander, Lambda Athena, Razorock Hawk V3.

I've never tried, but the Envoy might work in one pass if it's done against the grain. I don't think it would be very comfortable, so I won't be trying it to see.

I have tried the Overlander with one pass against the grain and it still required a lot of touch-ups. But it was quite comfortable with a nice post-shave feeling.

Edit: If I want to shave in one pass (not often) I use my Muhle R41. Which takes me almost as long as 3 passes with my other preferred razors because I go slow and careful with the R41.

Last edited:
I have an Envoy. I would call it slightly aggressive. IMHO it is more aggressive than the standard Blackbird but not quite as efficient.

I have a few other razors I like better for shaving every day. I'll name them since I'm sure you'll ask. Blackbird Lite, Timeless .95, Karve Overlander, Lambda Athena, Razorock Hawk V3.

I've never tried, but the Envoy might work in one pass if it's done against the grain. I don't think it would be very comfortable, so I won't be trying it to see.

I have tried the Overlander with one pass against the grain and it still required a lot of touch-ups. But it was quite comfortable with a nice post-shave feeling.

Edit: If I want to shave in one pass (not often) I use my Muhle R41. Which takes me almost as long as 3 passes with my other preferred razors because I go slow and careful with the R41.
I would have had the Hawk V3 in my hands today had UPS not delivered it to the wrong address (again, sigh) ... how do you rate the V3 versus the Blackbird Lite?

I would have had the Hawk V3 in my hands today had UPS not delivered it to the wrong address (again, sigh) ... how do you rate the V3 versus the Blackbird Lite?

I would say with a Feather ProGuard blade the Hawk V3 and the Blackbird Lite give a similar result. Of course, the Hawk like other artist club razors has the advantage of having more aggressive blades available, plus the Hawk-A base plate, which makes it more on par with the standard Blackbird.

I would say with a Feather ProGuard blade the Hawk V3 and the Blackbird Lite give a similar result. Of course, the Hawk like other artist club razors has the advantage of having more aggressive blades available, plus the Hawk-A base plate, which makes it more on par with the standard Blackbird.
Geez, clearly, then Blacklands has a thing for aggressive razors. I have a Hawk V2 and, with a standard (un-guarded) blade, I find it VERY aggressive. It's good with a guarded blade, esp. Kai, not so much Feather. Cross Blackbird off the list. I already tried and returned the Vector to them for aggressiveness, too.

Geez, clearly, then Blacklands has a thing for aggressive razors. I have a Hawk V2 and, with a standard (un-guarded) blade, I find it VERY aggressive. It's good with a guarded blade, esp. Kai, not so much Feather. Cross Blackbird off the list. I already tried and returned the Vector to them for aggressiveness, too.

I consider the Blackbird Lite a fine razor for everyday use. I don't consider it aggressive.
I have a Vector and IMHO it definitely has a learning curve, in fact I believe Shane has a video about using it every day for at least 5 to 7 days. That was my experience; after about 5 days everything just started to fall in place and now it works fine for me.

The Razorock Hawk worked great for me right out of the box.

For me I don't consider the Envoy more aggressive than the Blackbird...in fact I consider the Envoy perfect for 1-2 days of beard
I always speak for myself
I never shave 1 pass minimum 2 passes WTG and ATG

Blackland = ❤️
😁

I have a REX Envoy and can use it daily with a Gillette Perma-Sharp blade. Since my skin is fickle, I use very, very light pressure and do a 4-pass shave. The last pass is ATG. I’ve been getting 5 shaves on the blade. The Envoy has some blade feel. So if you don’t like blade feel you might consider something else.

The Blackbird Lite would not be as efficient as the Envoy.

YMMV

I shave every other day almost exclusively with my Rex Envoy, and I love everything about it. It's beautiful, solidly built, with a sure grip handle, and perfect blade alignment. To me it's just slightly aggressive. :thumbsup:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't like the Red Envoy much, I like its knurls and stand but very much prefer almost every other razor I have. The Envoy is much more aggressive than a Merkur 34c and the price for the most basic finish is overpriced. You get more for less with Lupos and Game Changers from RazoRock.

I don't like the Red Envoy much, I like its knurls and stand but very much prefer almost every other razor I have. The Envoy is much more aggressive than a Merkur 34c and the price for the most basic finish is overpriced. You get more for less with Lupos and Game Changers from RazoRock.
I love the envoy, much better for me than the CG84...I also had the Ambassador but that's another race
To tell the truth I don't feel the blade much... I feel it smooth "I like it"

To me the Rex Envoy is far from aggressive. Imo it compares with the 3 or 4 settings on my Fatboy. Not aggressive, but very efficient.

I have a REX Envoy and can use it daily with a Gillette Perma-Sharp blade. Since my skin is fickle, I use very, very light pressure and do a 4-pass shave. The last pass is ATG. I’ve been getting 5 shaves on the blade. The Envoy has some blade feel. So if you don’t like blade feel you might consider something else.

YMMV

Why if what you do works for you, why fix what is not broken.

Maybe blade sampler could product new grail blade.

I have never tried the Envoy, but it seems to have a solid reputation.

Another razor you might consider is the Yates Merica. In my mind, the Merica is a nice step up from the 34C and DE89/R89. For under $100 US it's a well-made razor that's a solid performer for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

YMMV
Agree with @GBerry. 👍

@Greg788 - The Blackland Razors Blackbird SB, paired with a Perma-Sharp blade and used steep, is also very worthy of consideration.

Top Bottom