What's new

Rex Envoy aggression

Can anyone tell me how aggressive the Rex Envoy is compared to
Merkur HD 34c
Gillette Heritage
EJ DE89.

Santa may bring me this for Christmas, but I will have to act fast before the wife spends all the xmas money.

Honestly, I felt mine wasn’t too far off from a DE89. It was pretty mild and ultimately had to move on to another member. Stunningly crafted, though, and the best grip available (IMHO).

Honestly, I felt mine wasn’t too far off from a DE89. It was pretty mild and ultimately had to move on to another member. Stunningly crafted, though, and the best grip available (IMHO).
Thank you for your response. I like mild razors. Hows the blade angle set? Is it similar to the DE89?

Thank you for your response. I like mild razors. Hows the blade angle set? Is it similar to the DE89?

I can’t answer that scientifically, but I remember the Envoy looked like it would be more aggressive but really wasn’t. I got the impression it could’ve had slightly negative blade exposure.

My experience as well, and I agree with the DE89 on the low settings. One thing I like about the Rex is the range - cranked up, the aggression (or efficiency) can be increased significantly, so you can go from Lexus to Ferrari with a turn of the dial (and infinitely adjustable).

My experience as well, and I agree with the DE89 on the low settings. One thing I like about the Rex is the range - cranked up, the aggression (or efficiency) can be increased significantly, so you can go from Lexus to Ferrari with a turn of the dial (and infinitely adjustable).
I think the Op asked about the Envoy (3 piece), not the Ambassador (adjustable).

Imo & experience same efficiency level as the Merkur 34C, but less comfortable. Merkur 34C is the better razor. Also it had potential to bite at least for my skin type. If you don’t find the right blade it can be a rough shave. The Gamechanger.84 is significantly better razor than Rex Envoy and much more affordable. GL

I don't have an Envoy but I've heard it's like an Ambassador on 3 or 3.5. I like my Ambassador on about 2-2.5 so probably the Envoy would be a little more aggressive than I'd like. The Ambassador on 2-2.5 feels milder than a 34c but is even more efficient. It's a great razor for me.

Advertised as a "3" on their Ambassador on the site, so that would classify it in the "mildly aggressive " range for me. A "4" is probably the top range I like to shave with the Ambassador.

I bought a Rex Envoy with a technological defect (short thread on the screw of the upper plate). Has anyone else bought this razor with such a defect?

Advertised as a "3" on their Ambassador on the site, so that would classify it in the "mildly aggressive " range for me. A "4" is probably the top range I like to shave with the Ambassador.
I tried both, and the Envoy felt more like 3.5 but for some odd reason the Ambassador felt way more comfortable, even at 4. They are not the same razor. My sweet spot was 2.5 on the Ambassador.

If you like mild razors, I’d recommend against an Envoy and instead recommend the Ambassador. I use my Ambassador at 2 or 2.5 (lower setting than the published equivalent of 3 for Envoy) and prefer moderately aggressive razors: Fatboy on 7-9, Timeless Ti 0.95 OC.

If you like mild razors, I’d recommend against an Envoy and instead recommend the Ambassador. I use my Ambassador at 2 or 2.5 (lower setting than the published equivalent of 3 for Envoy) and prefer moderately aggressive razors: Fatboy on 7-9, Timeless Ti 0.95 OC.
Despite the disadvantage, I can shave my Envoy and I am in love with it. I like this razor very much, but I do not see the need for an adjustable razor, although the Ambassador is also beautiful.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
One of the better mild razors out there. :)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also, I have seen folks say it is much more aggressive than a GC84 and others say it is not nearly so. Strange how much YMMV with this one.

I find my Red Tip pleasurable so I hope I like it.

Top Bottom