What's new

Reviving the IOTN thread

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
I loved to make mead as well, though I had trouble making them sweet - no matter how much honey I used the yeast would eat everything, resulting in a dry, winelike (but very pleasant) beverage.

I don't know anything about making beer, but you describe a universal problem regarding fermentation. There's a lovely dessert wine called Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise that's made by adding a bit of brandy to halt the fermentation. Good stuff!

It is my son's 5th birthday today. His choice for dinner tonight was hot dogs and mac & cheese. Hardly gourmet fare. Since I am not a boxed mac&cheese guy (though I do make an awesome from-scatch version), I whipped up Scotto's famous oven fries for the rest of us. I don't deep-fry as a rule (I hate the mess, mostly), but these fries are as good or better than anything else on the planet. They are not good for you by any stretch of the imagination, but are better than their deep-fried brethren. They become almost like pommes soufflets, puffing up and crispy on the outside, and creamy on the inside.
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
HlSheppard said:
Here was mine:
Here's a review that I couldn't say better of this 10.5% abv wonder:

"Pours a dark brown, with some ruby tinges in it. Head is large, big-bubbled tan, slowly diminishes to some decent lacing. Body has lots of carbonation, and lots of yeasty bits swirling around in it. Aroma is huge, yeasty, vinous, fruity, grapes, raisin, some doughiness, and hints of honey. Flavor is equally huge and complex, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, and changes over time as the brew comes up to room temp. Very full bodied, massively complex flavors and aromas. Very similar to the Westy 12, but seemed to have more lively and lasting carbonation."

A 22 oz. bottle of this will cure what ailes ya! :biggrin:

That sounds delicious. You know, Howard, I could be at your house in a little over an hour. . .and I'll bring a steak!?!?!?!?!:smile:

Just kidding--but where did you get that beer?

Mitch!

I forgot about that...

HELL YEAH - I've got a huge grill, a smoker and plenty of brew for all!!!

Honestly, my wife's a Spartan and if you're interested we should plan something for this Summer. :w00t:

Honestly, I have about 4 places where I get my beer. The one that I know of closest to you would be "Red Wagon" on Rochester Rd & Auburn Rd. I'm positive they carry it (and much more).

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Those potatoes look great. Now cough up the recipe!:lol:

Congrats on the little nipper's bday. I know you have a younger one that's probably glomming up the lion's share of attention, so go the extra mile to make him feel as if he's still the star of the show.

HlSheppard said:
Well, I rather "thrive" on heavy beers. :blushing: After all: I'm the guy who drinks a double ristretto every morning! I like a bit more 'flavor' in my life.

The last three batches I've made were over 13%. I'm just about ready to bottle my Avery Brewing "Czar" clone. It should be well ready to drink come Autumn.

Scotto - I tell ya, bud... We were seperated at birth!! :eek:

Hey Howard, What espresso blend are you using for your morning ristrettos?
Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
Hey Howard, What espresso blend are you using for your morning ristrettos?
Cheers, DJ.

Those havanna Bolivars are/were my favorite cigar for AGES. Just wonderful (if a little hard/expensive to obtain). MMMMM

I go though different blends (just depends on what I roast).

Lately, it's been 2 blends, either/or depending on my taste that week.

Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber or S.M.'s Puro Scuro. AWESOME stuff! :tongue_sm Malabar Gold has always been a "standard" as well.

If you're not into Home Roasting: Intelligencia's Black Cat :thumbup1:

HlSheppard said:
Those havanna Bolivars are/were my favorite cigar for AGES. Just wonderful (if a little hard/expensive to obtain). MMMMM

I go though different blends (just depends on what I roast).

Lately, it's been 2 blends, either/or depending on my taste that week.

Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber or S.M.'s Puro Scuro. AWESOME stuff! :tongue_sm Malabar Gold has always been a "standard" as well.

If you're not into Home Roasting: Intelligencia's Black Cat :thumbup1:

Howard, I was a home roaster for years, but about a year ago I decided to take the plunge and start roasting commercially. You can check out my shop at www.ristrettoroasters.com. Shoot me a PM with your addy and I will send you some of my espresso to try, it has been compared favorably to the likes of Intelligencia, Stumptown, Vivace etc. What kind of machine are you using?
Well I have to run back to the shop, a bunch of guys from Coffeegeek.com are headed to my cafe.
Cheers, DJ.

Today it was grilled pizza - nothing like the smoky goodness of the grill married with homemade dough, fontina cheese, fresh tomatoes, garlic oil, etc.
IMG_2406_2_1.JPG

I made 4 pizzas; 3 were round models of perfection with even toppings. Before I could snap a picture, my wife and boys descended like wolves to scarf them up , leaving me to shoot the remaining, somewhat less photogenic one. Such is life...

Scotto--

Please adopt me. I want to live at your house and eat dinner there every night!

That pizza looks fantastic!

Dinder1 said:
Howard, I was a home roaster for years, but about a year ago I decided to take the plunge and start roasting commercially. You can check out my shop at www.ristrettoroasters.com. Shoot me a PM with your addy and I will send you some of my espresso to try, it has been compared favorably to the likes of Intelligencia, Stumptown, Vivace etc. What kind of machine are you using?
Well I have to run back to the shop, a bunch of guys from Coffeegeek.com are headed to my cafe.
Cheers, DJ.

DJ - SIGN ME UP!!!

I'll PM you with some particulars.:biggrin:

mrob said:
Scotto--

Please adopt me. I want to live at your house and eat dinner there every night!

That pizza looks fantastic!
Hee. Just wait until tomorrow night (assuming I can keep the wolves at bay before I can snap a picture).

Started with some smoked crawfish.....
P2020085.JPG

Moved to Thai Garlic noodles with shrimp/scallops...
P1130008.JPG

P1130012.JPG

Main course of Cornish Gam hen (with a pomegranite/blackberry sauce, stuffed with baby potatos and, scallops, carrots, etc) served on a bed of garlic herb wild rice
P2150013.JPG

P2150015.JPG

P2150016.JPG

Finished with some fresh baked (from scratch) cinnimon buns...
PB030081.JPG

Apple wood smoked bacon wrapped Fillet Mignon (Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef)\
Polynesian Garlic Shrimp
Cherrywood Smoked lobster tails
Fresh Garlic Bread
P9120075.JPG

Cut Bacon Wrapped Steak...
P1200014.JPG

Presentation of Polynesian Garlic Shrimp....
P9100071.JPG

P9100072.JPG

Nothing like fine smoked ribs, dry-rubbed to perfection and cooked to juicy, finger-tenderness. Here they are about 1/2 way through their 4 hour smoking time:
full

And one cut for my son's plate:
full

Note how juicy they still are, and the nice smoke ring.

And why not some homemade (Northern) cornbread on the side:
full

Them's good eats, my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our cookout featured a nice selection of hand-made brats from our local butcher/genius, Dr. Beef. They included:

apricot and cherry

blueberry and lemon (made with lamb)

brown sugar

mint and cinnamon

bacon and sage

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Top Bottom