What's new

Reviving the IOTN thread

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
mrs. chefchris said:
Joel,

You do know what a veggie looks like, don't you? :w00t:

JoAnna

First off, since no one commented on Scotto's smoke ring, I will- that looks like the jen-yoo-wine article to me.

I was once in a bbq joint in TX years back and they had a "diet special" on the board-
bbq beef brisket
bbq pork
hot links
bbq ribs
bbq beef ribs
carrot
with the priceless addendum- "we are occasionally out of carrots".

Yeah, they're the green things cluttering up the plate that I throw away before I get busy with my brats!!!:biggrin:

This thread has the full approval of the Cardiologists Retirement Planning Association of the Universe. And we had fried:a42: for an appetizer.

Seriously though, i'm getting very hungry.

Chefchris doesn't know it, but he will be enjoying a nice T-Bone steak, rare, the way he likes it, tonight. (NO jokes. I can already hear the bunch of you.)

This isn't my area of expertise. That's why I married a chef. Mind you I'm not a bad cook. If I can manage to cook this steak without turning it into charcoal (ie-anything over medium rare), I will be quite proud of myself. Hopefully, I don't blow up the neighborhood either.

Has anyone ever grilled peaches? Chefchris grills cantaloupe occasionally. So, I figured a peach might be just as yummy.

I will try to post pictures (good or bad), if the T-Bone stays around long enough to take pictures.

JoAnna :eek:

Sorry guys no pictures. That T-Bone was fast. I clocked it at 120 mph. Didn't think you needed to see a pic of the bone that was left spinning on the plate. A pound of steak gone like that (picture fingers snapping). Thank God for Vegans. More beef for the rest of us.

JoAnna

I’m certain that it isn’t “night” right now, and I don’t know if many/any of you would consider the following sandwich to be an indulgence, but it looked and tasted so good that I thought I should share. The sandwich is composed of the following ingredients:

- (approximately) 7 inches of freshly baked (at local bakery) French baguette.
- 2 slices of cooked bacon.
- Spanish onion (fairly coarsely chopped)
- English cucumber (in thin-to-medium slices)
- “Grape” tomatoes (in very thin slices)
- Fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Feta cheese.
- Curried mayo.*
- Dijon mustard.*

EDIT: I forgot to mention the freshly-ground salt and black pepper (2 seperate mills - not one of those weird mills with both S&P in a single chamber).

proxy.php

proxy.php

* Despite sounding like a moderately strange combination the Dijon and curry flavours go together very well.

Scotto said:
Drive up north about 90 minutes or so and we'll do dinner... :lol:

Add a few extra hours of driving north and we can all do dinner... :lol: Damn, that would be a long drive for dinner... I would have to come up with something much better than that sandwich above.

ouch

It was very nice. It's considered to be the third best Petrus of the 80's, after the '82 and '89.

Again, I live vicariously through you my mentor!:wink:

On a lowly professor's salary, we drink mostly 2 buck chuck. . .and splurge on J. Lohr zin and cab and Coppola claret--when they are on sale!

ouch

mrob said:
Again, I live vicariously through you my mentor!:wink:

On a lowly professor's salary, we drink mostly 2 buck chuck. . .and splurge on J. Lohr zin and cab and Coppola claret--when they are on sale!

Arthur Jones, the commercial airline magnate and inventor of the Nautilus brand of exercise equipment, once commented that if it were necessary to work out several hours a day, seven days a week, to acheive the benefits of exercising, then he would recommend against it. I have the same feeling regarding wine. If one had to spend over $100 for a good bottle (or even more than $20), I would suggest another form of entertainment. Great wine need not be expensive.

I had the good fortune (and, I'd like to think, the good sense) to purchase a lot of classic wines before they became ridiculously expensive. If I had to start out now, I wouldn't. The most important thing you learn from drinking great wine is what to look for in less expensive bottlings. There are bargains a plenty, particularly from the Languedoc area of southern France. For a few bucks, you can get some world class stuff that takes a back seat to no one.

Ask your local shop if they carry any wines from Jorge Ordonez, from Spain. Look for Borghia, Borsao, Vega Sindoa, and Vina Alarba. Some of the aggressive discounters here sell them for as little as four to six dollars, and they are some of the best wines I've tasted. They're not Romanee-Conti, but they're delicious, and you can enjoy them on a regular basis without breaking the bank.

What do you teach?

Top Bottom