What's new

Revisiting Your First Equipments

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Done it many many times. My black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor from 30 years ago is now my travel razor. Not my favourite razor, but it gets the job done, without risking a favourite razor not making the return trip home for any reason. Wilkinson Sword blades are still amongst my favourites. I started out with some kind of foam, but can't remember what. I'll not be going back to foam though. I'd rather use regular bar soap.

Ok. Y'all have talked me into it. I started traditional shaving something over 8 years ago with a DE89 and Astra SPs. The brush and soaps I started with are long gone, and I'm locked in for ARKO August anyway. But tomorrow will be my first DE89 shave in about 4 or 5 years. Wish me luck...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I shaved with my first true straight razor (my first was a RSO). It is a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60, Japanese steel, 6/8 half-hollow+ grind, Dutch point with Madagascan mahogany scales. Face lathered with ARKO and a Chinese synthetic brush.

The blade's bevel was set on a 1k synthetic and finished on a 4k synthetic - water only, no slurry. The bevel was then polished on lapping film up to 1.0μm (about 25k) before being finished on diamond pasted balsa strops to 0.1μm (about 200k).

The edge on this razor is about equal in quality to all of my other SR's. They have all received the same honing progression. Three passes (WTG, XTG & XTG) gave me my expected close, comfortable and smooth result, DFS+.

IMG_20210814_093045.jpg
The razor is resting on my 0.1μm balsa strop.

Ok. Y'all have talked me into it. I started traditional shaving something over 8 years ago with a DE89 and Astra SPs. The brush and soaps I started with are long gone, and I'm locked in for ARKO August anyway. But tomorrow will be my first DE89 shave in about 4 or 5 years. Wish me luck...

Great !!! Welcome on board!!! My third acquisition was an EJ 89 Barley. In furtherence I bought it as third DE Razor, while I had Muhle R89 bought as my second DE Razor. It was just curiosity and greedyness. But I love them both. So my next shave will be with R89 and the following one will be with EJ89.

This morning I shaved with my first true straight razor (my first was a RSO). It is a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60, Japanese steel, 6/8 half-hollow+ grind, Dutch point with Madagascan mahogany scales. Face lathered with ARKO and a Chinese synthetic brush.

The blade's bevel was set on a 1k synthetic and finished on a 4k synthetic - water only, no slurry. The bevel was then polished on lapping film up to 1.0μm (about 25k) before being finished on diamond pasted balsa strops to 0.1μm (about 200k).

The edge on this razor is about equal in quality to all of my other SR's. They have all received the same honing progression. Three passes (WTG, XTG & XTG) gave me my expected close, comfortable and smooth result, DFS+.

The razor is resting on my 0.1μm balsa strop.

Many thanks for sharing !!! I was so curious about your first SR. It is revealed now. I am using Shavette but never tried a SR. Titans and Gold Dolars are the one mostly came accross. I really liked the blade shape of Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Titans and Gold Dolars are the one mostly came accross. I really liked the blade shape of Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60.
The reason that I chose the Titan over a Gold Dollar was because the Titan was with timber scales. I'm a timber sort of bloke. The only similar Gold Dollars available to me at that time had ABS (plastic) scales.

I have since found out that most SR's, when opened 180°, balance at about the pivot pin (like my Titan). The Gold Dollars with plastic scales balance at about the blade's shoulder. I later shaved a few times with plastic Gold Dollars and found that their different balance point was rather off-putting to me.

Last edited:
The reason that I chose the Titan over a Good Dollar was because the Titan was with timber scales. I'm a timber sort of bloke. The only similar Gold Dollars available to me at that time had ABS (plastic) scales.

I have since found out that most SR's, when opened 180°, balance at about the pivot pin (like my Titan). The Gold Dollars with plastic scales balance at about the blade's shoulder. I later shaved a few times with plastic Gold Dollars and found that their different balance point was rather off-putting to me.

Many thanks !! This information is important. Who knows may be after a certain point I decide to give a try to SR world.

AB38.jpeg

On this Turkish Shavette (Ali Biyikli) the balance is right on the middle and very well balanced.

mfy.jpeg

On this shavette (Feather Clone) it is heavy on blade side and it is not well balanced.

So I really understand your point and I'll keep in mind.

- Greedyness hide behind the Curiosity -

On my revisiting tour of my beginner Razors we are on my secondly acquired DE Razor Muhle R89.

When I start to chase new razors to acquire I read that EJ89 and R89 are very similar. I was so curious is that realy so ??
My curiosity was a cover of my greedyness...
So I decided to own both and acquired th EJ89 as well.

Today I pay a visit to my Muhle R89 with my only brush at these days. The soap choice is a Terre D'Hermes scented Turkish Artisan soap "Ossman" and the Post Shave is a Turkish "Beard Cologne" reportedly "Terre D'Hermes" scented.

It is so easy to create a decent lather with Ossman soap, scent is nice and it is really Terre D'Hermes scented. Beard Cologne is also "Terre d'Hermes" scented. I can't read the alchool percentage. Reportedly it has witch hazel ingredient. But my two pass shave was so smooth that I can not feel the calming effect of witch hazel.
The alchool percentage seems 75-80%.
Scent is nice but don't last long. In fact it is normal it is not a perfume.

I used intentionally Personna Platinum Chrome (6) in order to test with a less sharp blade.

I shaved two passes (WTG + XTG/ATG) result is DFS+ very close to BBS.

Proraso is well enough brush which does not require any upgrade. I can easily carry on with this brush without having any other one.

R89 is still a very well daily driver, if you have R89 do not buy EJ89, or vice a versa...

Personna is not sharp enough for me, I will not continue to buy once I finisih my exisiting ones.

Beard cologne is a nice to have due of its scent but I will not buy it again.

Ossman Soaps will have always a spot on my den.

r89 revisit.jpeg

Last edited:
My lady friend now has my very first DE razor, the Merkur 23C. I handled it again recently, and I can't imagine how I dealt with that long long handle. But I have the '62 Slim, my second razor, and the Edwin Jagger badger brush I started with. My first cream I no longer have, TOBS Sandalwood, nor do I have the Nivea Gel I used for the first year. My first soap, the Erasmic in the red-lidded tub, is still with me.

I’m reposting this shave from Shark Week. This was an exact re-enactment, right down to the mug, of my very first wet shave here on B&B. It certainly went much better the second time around. As I remember, I couldn’t get it to cut any whiskers the first time around. It went much better once I realized I had installed the base plate upside down.
1628945751402.jpeg

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Rocky Mountain Barber Co - Best Badger 25mm
Pre-Shave: Face Wash and Scrub
Lather: Proraso - Green
Aftershave: Prada - L’Homme (balm)

I have my first 5 razors, EJ89 Barley, R89 in Rose Gold, EJ89 Black Laser cut, '48 Gillette Aristrocrat and a Timeless Bronze .38 SB. I need to pull them out for a run down memory lane. Always had good shaves with them all.

My lady friend now has my very first DE razor, the Merkur 23C. I handled it again recently, and I can't imagine how I dealt with that long long handle. But I have the '62 Slim, my second razor, and the Edwin Jagger badger brush I started with. My first cream I no longer have, TOBS Sandalwood, nor do I have the Nivea Gel I used for the first year. My first soap, the Erasmic in the red-lidded tub, is still with me.

You are welcome on board with '62 Slim and EJ Brush Sir !!! Any Soap/Cream are welcome. You can carry whole week with your third and following DE Razor(s)/Shavette(s)/Straight Razor(s).

My first DE the Merkur 34C HD has never left my rotation still use it regularly as for software Proraso white cream and green splash still have a place in my den

Sir you are kindly invited to share a post shave photo of your Merkur 34C. In fact 34C was an equipment that I acquired as my fifth Razor still in my den. Once I realised how a good razor it is, I bought a gold version 34G. This is the greedyness again covered under the "collection" excuse.
I will share on consecutive shaves my 34C and 34G photos as well. I am planing to follow my first 7 razors and we'll see.

I have my first 5 razors, EJ89 Barley, R89 in Rose Gold, EJ89 Black Laser cut, '48 Gillette Aristrocrat and a Timeless Bronze .38 SB. I need to pull them out for a run down memory lane. Always had good shaves with them all.

Sir you are kindly invited to shave and share the photos of available ones. Any memory of old days or remarks on present days will make these shares precious.

I’m reposting this shave from Shark Week. This was an exact re-enactment, right down to the mug, of my very first wet shave here on B&B. It certainly went much better the second time around. As I remember, I couldn’t get it to cut any whiskers the first time around. It went much better once I realized I had installed the base plate upside down.
View attachment 1311545
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Rocky Mountain Barber Co - Best Badger 25mm
Pre-Shave: Face Wash and Scrub
Lather: Proraso - Green
Aftershave: Prada - L’Homme (balm)

I have still the same confusion with my Yaqi SE razor :biggrin1:

Top Bottom