What's new

Revisited an old friend: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum

A lot of confusion as always when it comes to 7 O'Clocks.

The original poster was referring to the extincted 7 O'Clocks Super Platinum produced in Russia (blue box).
As somebody already said, they may currently live a second life rebranded as Gillette Silver Blues.

The Indian Super Platinum (black box) is a different animal produced following different specs and probably different steel.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like the blacks. But never had the opportunity to try the “blue” although it’s hard for me to discern the difference in color from the pics.

A lot of confusion as always when it comes to 7 O'Clocks.

The original poster was referring to the extincted 7 O'Clocks Super Platinum produced in Russia (blue box).
As somebody already said, they may currently live a second life rebranded as Gillette Silver Blues.

The Indian Super Platinum (black box) is a different animal produced following different specs and probably different steel.

I happen to have all 3 of them.
Russian 7 O'Clocks Super Platinum are, to me, inferior to *GSB's (a tad more sharp but way too harsh).
7 o'clocks black (Indian) are a new entry in the den, so far they feel sharper than both GSB/Russian 7 o' clock sp and smoother than the GSB's but I want to see longelivilty.
GSB can give me around 7-8 comfortable (DFS) shaves (I don't chase BBS, nor go AGT except from some small parts). So far 7 o' clock black is on the 4th shave and performs wonderfully.

*My stash of GSB are the old (ink print) production.

I happen to have all 3 of them.
Russian 7 O'Clocks Super Platinum are, to me, inferior to *GSB's (a tad more sharp but way too harsh).
7 o'clocks black (Indian) are a new entry in the den, so far they feel sharper than both GSB/Russian 7 o' clock sp and smoother than the GSB's but I want to see longelivilty.
GSB can give me around 7-8 comfortable (DFS) shaves (I don't chase BBS, nor go AGT except from some small parts). So far 7 o' clock black is on the 4th shave and performs wonderfully.

*My stash of GSB are the old (ink print) production.

The Indian 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) is an exceptional blade and a favorite of mine. I rate it above many Russian made blades.

The assumption of the late Russian Super Platinum (blue) being rebranded as GSB is based on hints revealed by a former PPI St. Petersburg worker here on the forum a few years ago:

Do not chase after the exorbitantly-priced OOP 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades if you wish to try them. They live on, in another incarnation. Although I cannot answer the question directly, I will tell you that the former blue packaging is incorporated as part of the name of the blade, itself.

Also in 2017 GSB were sold by "7 O'Clock" on an Amazon listing. It may means nothing or it may means something. Remember these assumptions have the value of conspiracy theories because not a drop of information have been confirmed by official sources.

But I have an issue about GSB being rebranded 7 O'clock Super Platinum:
Gillette Silver Blue are the latest iteration of the Gillette line started with the old British Gillette Super Blue and followed by the Gillette Bleue Extra. These vintage blades, just like the modern GSB, were teflon-coated. 7 O'Clocks blues were platinum coated.

Last edited:
@mata_66 thank you, I was not aware of that. Maybe the pack I got was a dud so they fall short compared to GSB's.

Regarding teflon, I think all modern blades incorporate it so as to eliminate friction between hair and steel. Teflon has non stick properties, hairs are mostly keratin (a protein) so.. (think non stick fry pans vs eggs or meat). I have read somewhere a paper about that but I cannot recall where.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I had been using the 7O'Clock Black blades for a while before trying a GSB in my Fatip Open Comb. While the 7O'Clock Black blades were among my top blades, the GSB felt like the smoothest and most comfortable blade I had ever used. Maybe it just worked better in that razor, both great blades.

@mata_66 thank you, I was not aware of that. Maybe the pack I got was a dud so they fall short compared to GSB's.

Regarding teflon, I think all modern blades incorporate it so as to eliminate friction between hair and steel. Teflon has non stick properties, hairs are mostly keratin (a protein) so.. (think non stick fry pans vs eggs or meat). I have read somewhere a paper about that but I cannot recall where.

Yes, I've read a lot of articles and I also read the original patent. All Gillette blades are teflon coated since the late 60's. Other blades, such KAIs, are not.

Gillette first teflon coated blade was the "Spoiler", first released in 1965. The "Spoiler" featured "a miracle plastic coating baked onto the edge". Previously Gillette was coating their "Super Blue" blades with a thin silicon film (since 1959).
In Europe the "Spoiler" was redubbed as "Super Silver" and they were produced in Isleworth (England), Berlin (Germany) and Annecy (France). The "Super" in "Super Silver" and "Super Blue" differentiated them from the regular non-coated "Silver" and "Blue" blades.
These teflon-coated "Super Silvers" saw many iterations, the last known was the Russian made "Gillette Super Stainless" (Red and white box) unfortunately now out of production*.

* I have been taught the word "discontinued" doesn't exist in Gillette dictionary. They rather "pause" a blade for a later re-issue, for example Polsilvers S.I. rebranded as Wizamet S.I. or, if it's the case, "7 O'Clock Super Platinum" rebranded as "GSB".

Top Bottom