What's new

Revisited an old friend: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum

0FB7C463-DAE2-4A1D-9EB2-BF514F176714.jpeg

I have one tuck of these beauties left and decided to treat myself to one of them today. A beautiful shave in my SLOC. These always were one of my favorite blades, and today's shave reminded why.

I'm aware many people consider the GSBs at least the spiritual successor if not the right out rebadge of these blades, and I won't debate it myself. Both blades are really nice though.

I moved it over to my Gillette Slim this morning, which is the first razor I ever used these blades in years ago, and had a flashback to why I like them so much. They are smooth in my SLOC, but they are butter in the Slim.

I have no idea if the GSB is a rebadged Super Platinum, but honestly I can't tell much if any difference between the two & consider them interchangeable for all practical purposes. If anyone ever finds out if these two blades are the same blade, I'd be interested in knowing that.

I have no idea if the GSB is a rebadged Super Platinum, but honestly I can't tell much if any difference between the two & consider them interchangeable for all practical purposes. If anyone ever finds out if these two blades are the same blade, I'd be interested in knowing that.
I believe I've seen a post in here with information from someone who actually worked at the manufacturing location confirmed that. I'm going from memory so I may exact details a little fuzzy. That said I'm not 100% convinced by that, but like you, my actual first-hand use of the 2 blades finds very little difference in them.

I've been using them in my Slim with a setting of '2' the last few days, and they have been ridiculously smooth shaves while also being oddly efficient for such a tame setting on that razor.

Wait ... Are Gillette 7 o'clock Black (super platinum) discontinued or something???

I have some watched on the bay for my next order... Wonder if I need to jump on it in spades, then?

I consider Gillette black best ever made by Gillette blade.
The only one that I can use from Gillette as my daily shave.
there is saying, “once you go black there’s no way back “
very true indeed.

Wait ... Are Gillette 7 o'clock Black (super platinum) discontinued or something???

I have some watched on the bay for my next order... Wonder if I need to jump on it in spades, then?
Plenty on bay, prices unchanged, I don’t think they are discontinued.

With apologies to the B&B member who originally posted this photo, here's an old image that someone thoughtfully created showing the difference between Russian and Indian made blades.

In my recollection the Russian blades were very different from the Indian blades. I liked all of the Russian blades, but not the Indian blades.

7oclocks1_zpsd7154f36.jpg

I don't think the blacks are discontinued. Still made in India I believe, and among my favorites.

Last edited:
7:00 Green SS...that is my jam.
They are one of my top blades. #1 or 2, I recently got Nacets and I'm getting used to them.

Surprisingly I really like Lord factory blades, except for Big Bens. Asco's work really well for me.

im a long time Nacet fan and use them nearly 100% of the time.... but recently I bought three sampler sets and shaved with the super platinum tonight for the first time (2 day growth, Timeless Ti .95 scalloped, Proraso Red)... damn those are nice blades! comfortable and sharp.

Top Bottom