What's new

Review - Pacific DE Butterfly Razor @ Big Lots for $1.50

SAM_1959.JPG SAM_1960.JPG

I picked up one of these last week and finally had a chance to use it.
First of all: The selling points on the package themselves are not true, at all. The handle itself is very light, it's not "quality stainless steel" because one of the doors fell off after the first shave. The whole thing felt flimsy and it weighed only 32.5g. The blade tuck is useless. They have no printing and they're pretty dull. Had to toss it.

For a setup I used Proraso Green + a Gillette Nacet, which for me has always been a sure thing. If it won't work with that, it won't work with anything. The razor itself is quite aggressive but if you know what you're doing and keep it at a safe angle, no pressure, and don't drop your focus, it can produce extremely close results with zero irritation.

The shave was good, I could hear a lot of feedback due to the blade exposure. Produced a BBS, but only because I took my time. The bad thing is that quality control is non-existent, it only worked once because it fell apart after I opened it and took the blade out. I'll probably go back and get another one because it could have just been a dud. A much better alternative (at the same price point) would be the Rimei RM2003, it's almost as aggressive yet a BBS result is much easier to achieve and it won't fall apart.

The blades are the principal product in that package. The razor seems to be a cheap add on; described as free handle.
If you say the blades are poor, why go back for more punishment?

It looks like that cheap TTO that the eBay vendors were substituting for the MingShi Futur clone a while back.

I think that's just marketing, it costs more to make/package a handle than to repack a few no-name blades that fell off a passing donkey. I would try it again to give the handle another day in court and see if it breaks again or survives.

Top Bottom