What's new

Review: Kai Non-Folding Disposable

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not so long ago I was looking for something at the Fendrihan site and ran across this for $4.50

I had already shaved a few years ago with a knockoff of this throwaway that behaved badly on my face but I am always ready to try any Kai disposable. I had very good results from a pack of the Kai Gold-S hoe handle single blade disposables so trying the kami version seemed like a very good idea.

The first thing you will notice when you pull one out of the pack is the lack of a hard guard. It is only a very thin wax paper one loosely set on the blade. So shipping damage could be a thing with these, but mine looked undamaged. The next thing you will notice is that the handle and in fact the entire razor is very narrow. The razor is also extremely light. As you would expect from this maker, the edge was quite sharp. Treetopped silently and caught every hair at 1/4" above the skin.

The shave test was pretty predictable. Control was something I was a bit concerned about but the shave went without incident and the result was near total BBS with one careful WTG pass.

A removable handle would be a good thing to have with these little razors, to improve the grip. Also when you lay it down on a counter or shelf, the edge lays on it. So a stand would be nice, too. Either of these would be good DIY projects, maybe 3D printed would be good.

If you want a good shave from this very sharp disposable, you need to keep the spine right on the face, pressure light. You will want to take short strokes, almost like blade buffing.

I have to give this a thumb up as an effective shave tool, maybe a neutral thumb as a practical purchase. You just gotta ask yourself what you need it for. At 90 cents a pop, it is a bit pricey for a daily driver. Speaking of, you won't want to sneak a quick shave in your car with this on the way to work, no. And of course you would have to check it when flying. A pack might be a good backup for a newb sending his only straight out for honing, maybe.

Thanks for the review. Is the blade length ~50mm? I wonder if there is a Kai Artist Club blade fitted into the disposable handle.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for the review. Is the blade length ~50mm? I wonder if there is a Kai Artist Club blade fitted into the disposable handle.

I don't do mm. It is roughly 2" according to my thumb which is about an inch wide. I will disassemble after I get all the shaves I can get out of it. Very likely, though.

I don't do mm. It is roughly 2" according to my thumb which is about an inch wide. I will disassemble after I get all the shaves I can get out of it. Very likely, though.
2" is roughly 50.8 mm, so I'll call that a YES.

Thank you for reviewing these. I had seen them before, and I was always curious about how well they shave. It may be a good backup for someone that shaves with a Kamisori.

As of today, they're on sale for $2.48, which is a bargain. Unfortunately shipping to my zip code would cost $3.78, so I'll pass. If I ever make a larger purchase from Fendrihan, I'll have to think about adding these to the cart.

Yes two inches by 7/16” Is what I measured tonight in thinking about trying some other blades.

I’ve enjoyed these razors for a couple years now. I get relaxing nick free shaves, and my control was improved by adding a handle of cut and shaped chop sticks lashed on. Prior to the grips, this the blade would tend to roll easily if it caught enough resistance, and since a light grip is need for it to be a tactile one (for me at least), how to explain....the roll center is high for it’s width (?), and it will cam over easily and quickly. It’seasy to get caught by it and a heavy grip can lend to penetration. I recently taped (to not gouge stone with cut out embellishment) and honed one and am still using it. I strop them lightly with use. Creating a double bevel on the one doesn’t seem to have hurt the shave but it hasn’t been studied closely, either.
EC57CE10-3CA6-4261-A0B9-90E15D890389.jpeg

18DE9BE1-2EE9-46D4-95F3-91A429EAA2D3.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom