What's new

Review: Brand new Proraso BLUE aftershave balm

Gentlemen,

I've had this product for a couple of days, but decided to postpone the verdict until I've used it for at least three shaves: Proraso's new aftershave balm - "Balsamo Dopobarba con aloe e vitamina e".

proxy.php

The bad news: this is not the old Proraso balm in a new, classy outfit. Like their sandalwood cream, it's an entirely different product with a new fragrance. Which means that (unless they keep producing and shipping it in the old bottles) the old liquid cream aftershave balm effectively has been discontinued. Stock up if you still want it!

The good news: just like Proraso's recently introduced aftershave balm for sensitive skin, this is a terrific product.

• High-quality packaging. Great design and a thick, robust bottle.

• Flawless performance. The balm fights razorburn like a champ and has kept my face moisturized.

• A pleasant fragrance (I guess this is the most important part). While it won't stay with you forever, it's definitely stronger than the old liquid cream aftershave balm - check if it clashes with your cologne! The scent itself is actually quite complex (and I'm horrible at describing scents, so please forgive me). Starting with a very faint resemblance to Hugo Boss - just a hint to describe the rather fresh, fruity opening notes which reminded me of a bit of watermelon and apple and are gone in an instant - the scent quickly fades into a balmy, buttery, very subtle and rather "warm" note, before it almost vanishes, leaving nothing but a faint aquatic whiff. It's hard to describe, but positively reminds me of some of our classic shaving products - Nivea aftershave balm, Palmolive shaving cream, the Wilkinson shave stick. If you smelled these, followed by Proraso's new balm, you'd nod and say "Yeah, definitely a part of the team."

• There is no menthol involved, so this stuff isn't actually cooling. I'd be so bold as to call it a winter balm.

All in all I consider this a typical Proraso product - great performance, pleasant scent, nice packaging!

proxy.php

Thank you for the review, I have been tempted to look at this with the Aloe and vitamin E. Thank you for the description of the scent, that is what I was really after.

Hmmm....

Licorice Glabra extract

That is the whitening licorice - there is licorice in Nivea Xtreme Comfort Balm, but it's inflata wihich is not whitening

Why would they put a skin whitening ingredient in an ASB ?

Shaking my head ....

Hmmm....

Licorice Glabra extract

That is the whitening licorice - there is licorice in Nivea Xtreme Comfort Balm, but it's inflata wihich is not whitening

Why would they put a skin whitening ingredient in an ASB ?

Shaking my head ....

I would imagine it is used more for its anti-inflamatory and anti-irritatnt properties than for whitening/lightening.

Why do you say that when the official Proraso website displays those :

Because none of these are the old liquid cream aftershave balm (or a reformulated version with the same scent). Upper image shows the splash, bottom one shows the new sensitive balm (smells lemony-fresh like the white shaving soap / pre-shave) and the balm I reviewed here. The old scent is gone.

Hi! It must be a little cooling since there is Menthyl Lactate, a substitue for Menthol but not as irritating, is my understanding. Perhaps it's there in such little quantity that it's hard to feel. Did you find a big difference between this and the white ASB? I am more interested in the white for now.

Hi! It must be a little cooling since there is Menthyl Lactate, a substitue for Menthol but not as irritating, is my understanding. Perhaps it's there in such little quantity that it's hard to feel. Did you find a big difference between this and the white ASB? I am more interested in the white for now.

Hello and welcome to B&B!

There definitely is a difference regarding the scent - I'd say the white one with its lemony, lively aloe fragrance is very suitable for summer, whereas Proraso Blue's creamy, buttery and balmy aroma seems to be a good match for slightly cooler days.

In terms of performance both the blue and the white version are top-notch. No difference there.

One thing I'd criticize is the fact that the white line is designed for irritated and sensitive skin. I'm a huge fan of all things Proraso, but aloe, parfume, menthol and foaming agents are everything but appropriate for sensitive skin. But that's pretty much all.

Nice review. I just received mine from WCS. While my wife disliked the scent of the old white sensitive Proraso, this Blue she liked. So far so good. My initial impression of the packaging and quality of the bottle also gets top billing. My shave tonight consisted of MDC, Ej, Personna lab blue. After using a nickle sized drop, my initial impression was how perfumey this was. Now, some seven hours after the shave the scent is still noticeable while the moisturizing abilities of this AS balm is on the thin side. Absorption was quick and not tacky while being a bit "dry" as some champagne can be. Where the old white was thicker and a bit tacky. Mind you I don't wear cologne and my main AS is non scented Lucido thus I'm sensitive to scents. I will have to dial it down, but for those who wear cologne's this will not phase you in the least.

Last edited:
Darn, I misheard - I had thought that the Blue was licorice scented...

I smelled the new White pre-shave today and I thought that it was disgusting. Is that what the white cream smells like?

I also smelled the new Green shaving cream and I was thoroughly disappointed with its lack of intensity. I even lathered some on my hands in the store! (Yes I was being one of those customers) I know it is not the same as shaving with the stuff, but the original PRG is nice and forward - you can smell it from a few feet away.

I bought two tubs of the old Green soap instead.

I would say yes. In my opinion, it is kinder to my very dry, sensitive winter skin than the white balm, which left me with a burning sensation last time I used it.

Top Bottom