What's new

Retirement plans.

Factor in RV depreciation, insurance, gas, storage, yada yada, he may be traveling cheaper.
True, but there is something to be said for being in your own place and not living out of a suitcase.
Plus just being able to pull over and have lunch or spend the night pretty much anywhere one wants.
The upscale vagabond lifestyle.

True, but there is something to be said for being in your own place and not living out of a suitcase.
Plus just being able to pull over and have lunch or spend the night pretty much anywhere one wants.
The upscale vagabond lifestyle.

Good point. And yet...fella I know retired, bought a $100,000 motor home. He and his wife took the trip of a lifetime, drove to Alaska and back. Great adventure. Then he sold the motor home. Got $40,000. Pretty costly drive. So, would suggest buying a RV that is almost new! :)

Factor in RV depreciation, insurance, gas, storage, yada yada, he may be traveling cheaper.

Cheaper should not be a determining factor

Getting to places you would not normally go. Staying in a campground in the woods instead of an interstate motel. If traveling with pets. These should be what you use to decide.

Al was also a retired AF guy 25 years worth and stayed at Military bases When they went to Hawaii they stayed at Clark air field.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The problem is there aren't motel rooms at many of the place I want to go.

How is this a problem? ;)

I travel for a living, so when I am on my personal time I prefer to be out in the woods. For example, I fly home tomorrow from my current road trip. The next day we hitch up the rv and head for the hills. Its the life. Looking forward to going full time in a couple of years.

How is this a problem? ;)

I travel for a living, so when I am on my personal time I prefer to be out in the woods. For example, I fly home tomorrow from my current road trip. The next day we hitch up the rv and head for the hills. Its the life. Looking forward to going full time in a couple of years.

I was replying in regard to the person who posted before me.

Lack of motels isn't a problem for me. I have a RV as well.

Good point. And yet...fella I know retired, bought a $100,000 motor home. He and his wife took the trip of a lifetime, drove to Alaska and back. Great adventure. Then he sold the motor home. Got $40,000. Pretty costly drive. So, would suggest buying a RV that is almost new! :)
Ha, he could’ve rented one for a song compared to that!

You are right about used rv prices compared to new.

Nice! Any idea on what part of Wild Rose country?

My cabin/future retirement spot is near Beaver Mines and location is perfect for me. I'm not hot weather or water person so never a desire to retire in the desert or on a beach. I'm under 30 min to the nearest big grocery store and hardware store, 1.5 hours to a proper sized city, 2.5 hours to an international airport and 30 min to a decent ski hill. But more importantly the property isn't near anything particular touristy so no hoards to annoy me. I plan to be a curmudgeonly sort once I retire :)

Hmmmm....that could end badly

This one always gives me a chuckle
View attachment 915533

Canmore area

Yes has changed tremendously... 45 some years ago got arrested by the RCMP up in Banff for trespassing at the Springs hotel sniffing after some waitresses from town. Was staying at uncles friends place in Canmore at the time

The Springs in the 70's......yes, I can imagine that would be a party. Might be an odd question but any chance you have pictures of the Rimrock from that time? While its a gorgeous hotel now I do miss the mid-century look of the original.

LOL, never been arrested at a Fairmont hotel but was firmly told to never return to the Chateau Lake Louise following a grad party in '91. They seem to have forgot about that since I've stayed several times since and was always a good boy.

Top Bottom