What's new

Retirement plans.

The wife and I have about five years until we sell everything we own, and just go... and never come back. Already liquidating material possessions. Bought a 28' travel trailer in 2013, and we are practicing a lot. Heading out for 4 weeks this Saturday. Going from NJ down to FL and back. Stopping lots on the way there and back. We pull it will a RAM 1500. 10k tow capacity, 7600 lb trailer fully loaded. 5600 lb dry. So I'm good there. For now. Only hard part now is deciding to go with a 5th wheel and a bigger diesel pickup, or a diesel pusher.

Get something you can be comfortable with driving secondary US highways.

These are usually in far better condition than the interstates and much more interesting to drive.

If you can get off the interstates you will find that RVing is much more than just camping somewhere :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are usually in far better condition than the interstates and much more interesting to drive.

If you can get off the interstates you will find that RVing is much more than just camping somewhere :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
More good advice!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Agreed. We are camping down in myrtle beach right now, and took quite a few secondary roads to get here.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I already told my wife.

I will be living at the ranch just hunting and fishing! If it’s okay with you dear?

That’s my plan. Spend as much time there as she permits and then do what she wants the other 364 days a year!!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
We are a week into a four week RV trip. Life is good. This is good practice for when we go full time.

I already told my wife.

I will be living at the ranch just hunting and fishing! If it’s okay with you dear?

That’s my plan. Spend as much time there as she permits and then do what she wants the other 364 days a year!!
A wise man.

My wife has a cousin who are really into RVing. However, their RV is so large I can't see it going where the smaller ones go. My wife's idea of roughing it is staying in a Holiday Inn. I would love to take some time off and take a RV trip - but I will never get my wife to agree.

My stepson is delivering a semi truck today that will fit the bill. Here is what it looks like from the outside.

IMG_2254.jpeg

The extended truck has a shower, toilet, and complete kitchen that contains a stove, oven, refrigerator, freezer, and microwave.

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg
IMG_2262.jpeg
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2264.jpeg
IMG_2265.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My wife and I hopefully will retire within 10 years or so. We have been seriously talking about buying a 3/4 ton truck and a travel trailer and just go and do whatever we want. Unless we would have aging parents to consider there is nothing to hold us down in one place.

My wife would really like to get an Airstream, I would prefer a 5th wheel with multiple slide outs (Plus they are almost 1/2 the price) :smile:

Anyway do any of you retired folks do that or no anyone that does?

I pretty much decided the other day that I'll probably start drawing my retirement the first of next year. I really don't think I want to tow a trailer, and I really don't want to drive one of the monster motor homes, but I would like something that I could use to get away for a few days...or weeks.

I love these things:

Roadtrek

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My stepson is delivering a semi truck today that will fit the bill. Here is what it looks like from the outside. [
proxy.php
]

View attachment 898812

The extended truck has a shower, toilet, and complete kitchen that contains a stove, oven, refrigerator, freezer, and microwave.

View attachment 898807 View attachment 898808 View attachment 898809 View attachment 898810 View attachment 898811
Jim:
Beautiful 'tricked-out' rig...a truck drivers dream (a virtual home away from home). Now, all it needs is a 'badass' paint job)! :thumbsup:

Semi-Truck-3.jpg
"Most likely, if you bought it...a trucker brought it". Anonymous

2 years come August..... Alberta Bound !!!!
Nice! Any idea on what part of Wild Rose country?

My cabin/future retirement spot is near Beaver Mines and location is perfect for me. I'm not hot weather or water person so never a desire to retire in the desert or on a beach. I'm under 30 min to the nearest big grocery store and hardware store, 1.5 hours to a proper sized city, 2.5 hours to an international airport and 30 min to a decent ski hill. But more importantly the property isn't near anything particular touristy so no hoards to annoy me. I plan to be a curmudgeonly sort once I retire :)

I've seen a few signs from my RV that many will never see.

proxy.php
Hmmmm....that could end badly

This one always gives me a chuckle
drive with dignity.jpg

Being disabled, I have a lot of time on my hands..My dad has a 35 foot camper..We go on the Blue Ridge parkway a lot..He don’t get anything bigger as there spots are small..Get you golden pass for national parks..It will say some money..

retiring in 45 days, after working for 45 years. The plan is to load up the trailer and take off for a month.
Looking forward to the next phase of life.
Just got back from a nearly 6000 mile road trip;
Started in Denver, headed south; Raton NM, Roswell NM, Carlsbad caverns, over to Dallas, OK City, Kansas City, Hutchinson KS ( toured the salt mines).
Back to Denver, unpacked, repacked, headed north; Debois WY, Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson, Boise, Portland, then headed back.
Nary a single issue with truck or trailer. Dodge Cummins averaged 12.8 mpg.
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg

Top Bottom