What's new

Resale Shop Find

I think I just puked in my mouth a little :crying:. Wow is all I can say. I would love to find one double ring in the wild, but two. You sir have hit the shaving lottery! Congrats.

Did I just read that King Gillette recommends loosening the blade for a closer shave? Man those old coots were tough! Unbelievable score.

How should I clean these, can someone please point me in the right direction? I have cleaned a lot of razors but don't know if I should clean these the same way.

Thank you
Rob

Congratulations! Thanks for the photo's and the instructions. I'm wondering about the "425" stamped on the blade. Is it a date code or a serial number?

hey you think that deal where Gillette gives you six new blades for every twelve dull blades is still good ?
I'm going to email them and ask.

How should I clean these, can someone please point me in the right direction? I have cleaned a lot of razors but don't know if I should clean these the same way.

Thank you
Rob

Brian, aka Blue-EyedSon, did a great pictorial here using the baking soda and aluminum foil method for cleaning silver-plated razors. Please note this only works for actual silver-plated items, like a double ring! This method chemically converts the tarnish back to shiny silver again, without removing any of the plating. Harsh polishes or other chemical tarnish removers (TarnX, for example) just remove the top layer of plating . . . which is thin to begin with!

You can follow up with a mild silver cleaner, like Wright's Silver Cream, to bring out the shine following the tarnish conversion.

Can't wait to see the "after" pics!

[Jaw dropping] O. M. G. I am speechless. Well, almost. You've just got to clean up at least one of them and shave with it, just to say you did.
What a great find in the wild, congratulations!

Oh, my! You've done very well!

You must live in an area sparsely populated with traditional wet shavers. The antique stores near me carry only expensive junk...

Congratulations! Thanks for the photo's and the instructions. I'm wondering about the "425" stamped on the blade. Is it a date code or a serial number?

Im not sure but there were more blades in the blade tin. Im at work but will look into it when I get home.

Last edited:
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg
Are you going to post pics of the other book?

Im not sure if the second instruction booklet is the original one the 1905 came with. It was folded to fit into the case, still was in decent shape.

I don't know anything about blades but these were with one of the razors.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 47
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the blade photos. I guess they must be serial numbers.

They are date codes. Three-digit codes started in October of 1911. The first digit is the year of the decade, with the second and third digits representing the week number of the year. The codes repeated every ten years.

109 would have to be from 1921, since in 1911 the coding began in October and week 09 is in March. Since both blades have the same size logo, (7/8" wide) the second blade is from 1924. In 1925, a four-digit code was implemented.

The 425 blade also has "TM Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." on it, which was implemented with the introduction of the New Improved razors, while the 1921 blade still references the 1904 patent date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom