What's new

Repurposed metal travel case w/ pics

So I have always wanted to have a travel or storage kit that stood out, but the issue is you can't really buy something pre-made that someone else doesn't already have, so I made my own. I found the metal box at an antique mall, and I cut out the foam with my hobby knife, I think it looks pretty good. The only thing that worries my is storing a wet brush for any longer period of time, but it's a travel brush anyway so I'm not too worried. Feel free to let me know what you like or think I should do to improve it. Thanks!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 181
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 179
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 180
Nice! If I may make a recommendation, try to get the high density foam, like from a kneeling pad. My first attempt I used the regular styrofoam like that and found the blade was cutting into it and getting foam in the blade gap.

I found some scrap foam used for toolchest organization and it is much sturdier.

Nice! If I may make a recommendation, try to get the high density foam, like from a kneeling pad. My first attempt I used the regular styrofoam like that and found the blade was cutting into it and getting foam in the blade gap.

I found some scrap foam used for toolchest organization and it is much sturdier.

Agreed, sturdier foam would definitely be an asset. Other than that, I love it. Great idea. I think that your's will not be on of a kind for much longer.

Feel free to use! I think I will try the high density foam, and good luck on your own, just post the pics here so I can see!

Looks great!

I'm impressed with how you cleanly cut the shapes into the foam. Did you cut the foam through part of its thickness, or completely through (with some felt at the bottom of kit?)?

You could consider gluing some felt or thin foam inside the lid of the kit to protect the equipment and the lid.

Top Bottom