What's new

Removing epoxy from handle?

2021-05-31 15.01.27.jpg

I have purchased a resin brush which has had the synthetic knot fall out. I want to replace the synth with a badger knot. The old knot was 23.5mm at the plug, while the bore of the handle is 27.5mm. This means there is a band of epoxy resin left in the handle (see photo). I've tried to prise it out, but it's very hard. I presume the best method might be to use a Dremel type tool to grind it out carefully?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice handle Bernie. I think the use of the Dremel type device would be the go. If you don’t have one maybe your nearest Mens Shed might have one that you could use or maybe you could hire one from a tool hire place. I don’t know how much they cost to buy but if you buy one then you will have it for future use.

If I ever attempt anything like this again I'm going to invest in the proper sized forstner bit in a drill press. I've chipped the edge of more than one handle with my dremel. I try to go slow but the bit skips around so easily.

I chipped a handle using a Fostner bit, fortunately it was salvageable. A drum sander works well. I use a Dremel type tool purchased from Harbor Freight. You might prefer a real Dremel.

Fostner bits work great when drilling a hole in a handle you are making, but can be problematic for cleaning or enlarging a hole.

@BigJim Yes, I agree. I have a 'Dremel like' tool (made in China) that has small cylindrical abrasive bits about 12mm (half inch) or so in diameter. The shaft of the bit is long enough that the grinding surface will be inside the handle, well away from the edge of the handle.

I think I will tape around the rim of the hole (just in case), fix the handle in a vise or clamp (well padded of course) and slowly grind away the epoxy, maybe I'll need to rotate the handle 90 degrees or so a few times.

Thanks to all for the input; much appreciated!

Top Bottom