What's new

Reloading and other meanderings (just my thoughts, no real question)

Ditto this for the Lee Classic Turret (NOT THE DELUXE!).

As for saving money, wet shaving and reloading have a lot in common. You justify the initial investment by telling yourself that you will be saving money in the long run over buying store ammo or cartridge razors, but both are extremely addicting as far as purchasing new equipment and supplies. I originally thought I would tolerate reloading in order to be able to shoot more, then once I started doing it (after TONS of research and a helpful friend to watch over my first loads) I found the process to be enjoyable for its own sake. I can make 45, 9mm, 38 and 44 mag all for around $5/box versus insane store prices (when you can even find ammo).

Lots of good information here, but if you want even more check out The Firing Line Forums. A guy over there name Lost Sheep has tons of great advice on what you *really* need to get set up and how to avoid critical mistakes. Best of luck!

The Lee Classic Turret is what I'm looking at. Also like the Smith and Wesson forums, LOTS of good info over there! Also as all my hand guns aside from one (soon to be two) are Smith's it's also a natrual place to hang out for me!

Once again, thanks everyone for listening to me ramble, looking to purchase the Lyman 49th either this weekend or early next week. Will keep everyone updated.

Well today on lunch I went and picked up the Lyman 49th. Will read this then go from there. While I was at the LGS I saw that Massad Ayoob was coming to give his two day course, wish I had the extra $400 laying around.

I might be the odd man out but I wouldn't buy a Lee Classic Turret. I got my good friend and cousin into reloading and that's what he got. I can safely say his frustration level learning to reload would of been a lot less if he would of stepped up and purchased something of higher quality. When he'd call with a question it was related to the machine, more often than not. If you have a friend that reloads and also has a Lee Classic Turret that would be very helpful.

You can save money reloading. Provided you don't start shooting way more than you were before you started reloading. That's what typically happens. With reloading I believe it's very much one of those hobbies where it saves to buy the nicest thing you think you'll ever need right from the start. Don't buy a kit, you'll end up with things you will probably replace later. I'd make a list of all the items you need to reload then research each one and buy accordingly with the idea that you'll never need upgrade.

Check out Cast Boolits if you haven't already.

How are the reloading supplies availability in your neck of the woods?

Reloading supplies aren’t bad, we have a very nice large non-box store LGS here. I have not checked out cast boolits yet, thanks for the link. I'm pretty set on getting the Lee Classic. I'm well aware of getting the best you can afford and subscribe to that philosophy, yet I can't drop $1-2K in this set up. Have heard very little issues being discussed over the Lee Classic, unlike some of their other products.

Thanks for the info!

My LCT runs like a well oiled machine. It took a little tweaking to get it dialed in but I have no regrets and no doubts that my loads are accurate and safe. Good enough for me.

Dillon Precision is THE loading system to purchase. I've sold hundreds, serviced hundreds and have never paid or had a client pay for a part. I currently have 3 super 1050s plus one 650 customized for my match ammo. I also have single stage presses for my extreme accurate rifle ammo. But it once, buy it right!

Buy once cry once right. Just getting into reloading and was looking at the RCBS Rock Chucker or Lee 50th anniversary kit. I only shoot 308 so it should be okay for now. Until I get into 223. Lots to learn about everything haha. Only saving grace is I got a ton of winchester brass for next to nothing so that should help me along.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would buy a top quality single stage before buying a Lee Turret if at all possible. Yeah, the Lee will work, but you get what you pay for.
+1 on avoiding kits.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as your Brian, to go with LEE for ~160 or RCBS for almost double that
Read lots of good reviews on RCBS but also hit or miss on the Lee
Or I can piece things together just gotta figure out everything that I need

I have a lead on a Horndy LNL AP from another forum, just trying to figure out if I can shuffle some things around to get that, I have heard nothing but good things about the LNL.

Dillon Precision is THE loading system to purchase. I've sold hundreds, serviced hundreds and have never paid or had a client pay for a part. I currently have 3 super 1050s plus one 650 customized for my match ammo. I also have single stage presses for my extreme accurate rifle ammo. But it once, buy it right!

Hi there new best friend.
After a good amount of research that is more or less what I would recommend.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As a beginner the Lee turret is great. I can drop in my .223 turret and load up a bunch of test loads easily running it as a single stage. I can turn drop in a .40 turret and load up a quick 100 for plinking. You seasoned reloading pros probably forget the apprehension wondering if that extra .1 grain and extra .004 deep bullet seat will blow up your gun. I remember priming on the press the first time and wearing a full faced mask to avoid losing my eyesight if the primers popped. I remember trickle charging every one of my .40SW loads to exactly 4.8 grains and cursing the Lee disk charging kit, and trying to get every round at 1.128 OAL and cursing the Lee bullet seater. With more experience and understanding of the whole process now it's great with no kabooms or squibs yet (knock on wood) :lol: If you trying to load precision .308 than maybe a pricier press will do better, but for a guy just wanting to load his own and not lose a few fingers in the process I think it's good.

I think that starting on a single stage is the best way to go, and I still use a single stage for my Precision loading.
I happen to like Dillon.
But you will always have a use for a single stage loader, so in the long run it is worth getting a good one.

I got the 50th Anni Lee set/Lee Deluxe dies for pretty cheap here up in Canada
I'll update when I get it in, been collecting some brass and some unfired Winchester brass. Got Sierra Match King and Hornady Amax 168gr bullets coming in. Got to figure out what powder and what primer to get now. Then I can start loading.
Lots of loading and reading to do. I still have that fear Kentos that sitting the bullet or to much powder will cause my bolt to explode.
So its gonna be one hell of a scary ride to fire my first reloaded round.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That fear is healthy because if you over charge, undercharge, seat too deep etc. you might kaboom something. At the same time paying attention to what you are doing and understanding why you need to do certain things will keep you safe.

Once I get into casting my own bullets .40SW will drop to 7 cents a round due to free lead I might score. 70.00 for a 1000 rounds is eye wateringly cheap!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Ok guys, lets not turn my random meanderings into a Lee bash fest or a Dillon drool fest.

Not so much of a Lee bash as a tip to invest wisely, born of knowing what I would do now that I didn't do when I first started out. I have/had lots of Lee stuff. Some of it is just fine, some just OK, some a waste of money. You generally get what you pay for. You'll always be able to use a good single stage press.

Top Bottom