What's new

Reloading 7.62x54r Question

Hi folks!

This one is kind of out there. I just got the dies and other materials to reload 7.62x54r. At my local gun store, they recently bought what appears to be an estate's gun and reloading supply collection. Things like Redding and RCBS dies for $15-$20, none of which I need unfortunately.

Among this stuff is 2 boxes of 100 unprimed and unfired 7.62x53r Lapua brass. My question is this: can I load 7.62x54r using this 7.62x53r brass? It's WAY cheaper than anything online, but I wanna make sure that it's actually safe before I do anything silly or rash.

Thanks!

There is a slight difference in case size but it can be done, not sure what bullets your going to use or what rifle but I would slug the barrel to check the size

There is a slight difference in case size but it can be done, not sure what bullets your going to use or what rifle but I would slug the barrel to check the size
I have a 91/30 Mosin, and the surplus ammo all comes in around .310. I have the correct expander for my die, as I ordered a separate one from Midway USA.

I have a 91/30 Mosin, and the surplus ammo all comes in around .310. I have the correct expander for my die, as I ordered a separate one from Midway USA.

I would think it would be ok but I would check a case before and after firing and not reload more than 3x

Top Bottom