What's new

Red Tip Thoughts

I posted some of this in a review on the Red Tip in the Reviews section.

After searching for a year, I finally purchased a B2 Red Tip in very good condition. I was amazed to only pay $5 for it. I had passed up on several Red Tips before because I refused to pay over $15 for one, and you rarely if ever see one for under $15. My philosophy of if I wait long enough, I'll find a deal, finally paid off.

For a little over two weeks, I used the Red Tip nearly every day, and I must say, I am impressed. I didn't find it to be as aggressive as it is often labeled. However, it did slice through growth like a lightsaber. I found that I could get decent shaves with one pass. Really good shaves with two passes, and a 3rd pass would give a really great shave. Unfortunately, despite the good shaves, I never achieved BBS, but that's OK, I really wasn't going for that. I only wanted to test it's performance.

Based on my experience, the Red Tip is a great everyday razor, and will be excellent for quick shaves. However, if I want a really good shave, and have the time for it, then I will be reaching for my SEs and my lone 3 piece open comb.

It is definitely one of my favorite TTO DEs, and will be a keeper.

The Red Tip has become my go-to razor, surpassing my Merkur HD, my Slim Adjustables, and my Fat Boys. I have four of them now because I love them so much.

To be honest, I have to do three passes plus some neck cleanup for a BBS, but I consistently achieve it. I am used to its balance. The last couple of shaves with my adjustables left me with nice cuts because I didn't account for the blade as well when I dialed them up. Not a problem with the Red Tip.

I wanted to give the superspeed a try as well. I recently picked up a red tip and a flair tip. I have shave with each about 4 times. I like the construction of both razors and the extra heft of the red tip is nice. The look and feel of the design is wonderful and I really like the TTO mechanism on a razor.

My shaves haven't been all that great though. Nothing bad, but nothing great. I love the old Gillette razors and great great shaves with my new, ball end tech and fatboy. so I had high hopes for the superspeed. Even though the shaves haven't been that great, I think the superspeed would be a great starter razor. I think it is time to give the superspeeds a rest and come back to them another time.

I have flare tips , a black tip , and several red tips. The red tips are definitley my favorite of the superspeeds.

I love the Red Tip dearly, but I also refuse to pay astronomical prices for them. I just purchased my second one a few minutes ago for under $15, and I can't wait to receive it. As others have posted, the heft and balance of the razor are nearly perfect. What's not to love? :thumbup1:

I'm a Red Tip fan, but I always wonder what would happen if I had to shave with my razors sight unseen, in kind of a DE version of the old blind taste test.

I've been getting great shaves with a regular Flare Tip, and also the 40's type Super Speed as well.

I know I'm not logical and analytical enough to completely divorce myself from the thought that since the Red Tip was marketed as more aggressive, it must be giving me better shaves, or because of the aggressive reputation I'm just a shade more focused on technique when it comes up in rotation.

Maybe I should stop thinking and just shave with it.

See Swamp, this is what happens when you post serious threads. You get peoples RAD started again, just when I thought I was over DEs... :sneaky2:

When I didn't have a Red Tip, I figured that all the hype you fellahs heap on top of it was exaggeration, and that the razor was completely overrated. Nice to to know I am wrong every now and then!

See Swamp, this is what happens when you post serious threads. You get peoples RAD started again, just when I thought I was over DEs... :sneaky2:

rotflol!!!!

I have Red Tip in my rotation loaded with Derby at the moment. I think it is easier to match Red Tip with most blades to get BBS. But that does not mean less concentration when using it as it can do some damages if not careful. Cut my upper lip twice when doing XTG because I was in a hurry. However, if I take time to concentrate with a Red Tip it never fails to give me BBS. One of my favourite and I bought another one as a back up.

:thumbup1:

The red tip is a great razor that gives me a wonderful shave. It is finding its way to a top spot on my rotation. I am very fond of the vintage Gillette Super Speed family.

Regards,

Doug

I haven't used anything since trying a Red Tip. A Red Tip with a Iridium works like magic on my face.

I've also decided I need a backup, so I've been patrolling the BST.

I have had a Red Tip since the middle of the summer. While not a daily choice for me, I do enjoy using it and I like the results as well. My daily is my '66 Slim Adjustable. I use my Super Speeds (40's and the Red Tip) quite often for a Saturday shave. Not sure why, just the routine I seem to have fallen into. The Red Tip does seem to be more aggressive than the 40's SS, but not in the sense that it feels too aggressive for me. I do like the weight of it as well.

Do I hear the distant rumblings of the RTUG (Red Tip Users Group)?:a29:

I have had a Red Tip since the middle of the summer. While not a daily choice for me, I do enjoy using it and I like the results as well. My daily is my '66 Slim Adjustable. I use my Super Speeds (40's and the Red Tip) quite often for a Saturday shave. Not sure why, just the routine I seem to have fallen into. The Red Tip does seem to be more aggressive than the 40's SS, but not in the sense that it feels too aggressive for me. I do like the weight of it as well.

Do I hear the distant rumblings of the RTUG (Red Tip Users Group)?:a29:

If there is one, I will be the first to join :thumbup:

I like the red tip also....but now that I've acquired a user grade aristocrat jr that will become my go to razor. I rate it as one of the more agressive razors in the gillette family.

I do think the Red Tip is superior to any of the adjustables. The only DE that runs a close second to the Red Tip for me, in terms of comfort, smoothness, and closeness, would be the Schick Krona.

Top Bottom