What's new

Red Rocket review

When I started wet shaving 4 years ago one of the first razors suggested to me here was the red tip superspeed. A good razor but I soon went down the rabbit hole and was smitten with British Gillettes. Be it a NEW or Aristocrat I found that the U.K. versions had more heft and shaved my face better.

Well I finally found a Red Rocket that had a stuck TTO, plate loss and uneven doors. After a replate good as new!

This beauty weighs 68 grams and feels very solid compared to it's American doppelganger. A stamped III can be seen under the head, to differentiate the baseplates from the blue and flair tip rockets.

The shave it offers is nearly identical, but the extra heft makes it more efficient somehow. A couple of bumps by my chin when i was on autopilot. Supposedly the Rocket has a larger blade gap then the American version, although I don't have the tools to check right now.
Seems to pair well with smooth blades like Nacet and GSB. The knurling makes the razor easy to maneuver, and to me Gilletes best design, even beating the bulldog style knurling.

Naturally the rocket mechanism feels much smoother when opening. On to the pictures!
20180717_131911.jpg
20180717_131947.jpg
20180717_132036.jpg
20180717_132128.jpg

Why does it seem the English made Gillettes were just a bit better quality than their American cousins?

Why does it seem the English made Gillettes were just a bit better quality than their American cousins?
It seems Gillette in England tweaked US designs to perfection. After the war they took longevity, quality material and British craftsmanship to the extreme.

The rocket mechanism is smoother in TTOs for example, while the ones with thick baseplates held the blade more rigid while offering heavier shaves. Not to mention they seemed to love rhodium.

A LC new is a great shaver. Gillette UK slightly tweaked the design to make an even better razor in the RFB. Same idea with Aristocrats and superspeeds.

It's a shame Gillette UK never made an adjustable. Imagine a British Fatboy!

Thanks for a great review and pics, Zed :thumbup1:

Very inspiring, may just have to bring mine out for a very 1st shave, have not used it before...

Pictures please!

Do it. It's along the lines of a rocket HD, very efficient for a stamped diamond baseplate.

Pictures please!

Ok, photo of mine here. I got it 6 months ago. According to seller it was owned by his dad but never used. And it does look quite pristine so I am constantly questioning whether to try it. I probably will now - once I return from travelling :thumbup1:

In the pic I added the blade holder, not sure it is original for the set.

0CB7C637-2561-4352-91E6-6ABDF004C511.jpeg

Ok, photo of mine here. I got it 6 months ago. According to seller it was owned by his dad but never used. And it does look quite pristine so I am constantly questioning whether to try it. I probably will now - once I return from travelling :thumbup1:

In the pic I added the blade holder, not sure it is original for the set.

View attachment 900890

Fantastic condition, with a case to boot! I keep mine in an American red tip case, since they are similar and easier to find.

I love the deep aged maroon paint on yours too. :drool:

Top Bottom