What's new

Red Irritated Neck

Here's another two cents.

I won't repeat the excellent advice you've already been given. If you like the way the Proraso lathers, you might want to try the stuff in the red tube as its supposed to be better for sensitive skin.

I might suggest an aftershave with some alcohol (I recommend Proraso, which is a good product and one you may be able to get locally) to help disinfect.

You might also want to try some Thayers witch hazel with aloe as this helps soothe the skin, close the pores and moisturize.

Finally, I would use a different moisturizer - haven't used the Skin Food, but I think there's better stuff out there - the Nivea is a good suggestion, as is Neutrogena, which has a good men's line of products that are reasonably priced.

The only other advice is to try to figure out which way your beard grows in different areas and shave accordingly - first with the grain, then across and then against. While there's lots of talk about the 4 pass system, do what's right for you - most days I just go N-S and then do spot clean up at various angles using nothing more than water (the shave water so it does have some soap in it).

Good luck - Rome wasn't built in a day and none of us learned to shave in one either.

moses said:
This might be redundant, but I found, at a time when I had a lot of irritation from shaving with a M3 and with bad technique, that moisterizing like anything really helped. People here have suggested a lot of probably better products, but I had really good results with Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm (unscented, in the white box). I applied it after shaving, but also at least once more during the day (I shaved in the morning, so I applied also before bed), which made a big difference in taming the irritation.

And I am totally unqualified to give DE advice, since I have probably been doing this no longer than you, but here is one thought. I find that while slow and light is key to not irritating myself, a certain degree of authority helps. If I am too cautious, and sort of stutter along with little dinky super careful strokes, I get more irritation than with smooth, confident, slightly longer strokes.

Good luck,

Shane

Shane,

This is GREAT advice. The Nivea is a vastly underrated product IMO--smooth, easy to apply, very moisturizing and absorbs fully, leaving the face feeling lovely--great stuff.

And the overly cautious strokes can really be problematic--good catch!

Here is another idea.

Tonight before going to bed, feel the stubble on your neck. Really get in there and figure out what direction your neck beard grows. You might just be surprised what you find out.:cool: Mine typically grows "up", that is South to North and middle to ears.

Soooo....... my first pass is North to South on the sides of my face and then South to North on my neck.

Whatever you do....... figure out the grain of your beard and go WITH it.:wink:

Chris

Top Bottom