What's new

Recommendations requests

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I haven't smoked a pipe in several years, but I'm getting ready to order a new corn cob and some Cavendish tobaccy. I smoked non-filter Kool and Lucky cigarettes thru college in the 60s, but I don't think my body could take that much nicotine at my age
My plan is to find something great that I love and boost it a little maybe with a high N blend. If it doesn't work out, no harm no foul! I'm thinking that the tobaccos that I currently seem to be gravitating to are pretty low nicotine.
My tastes will likely change as my tobacco palate gets more discerning.

C&D Five O'Clock Shadow is an underrated tobacco in the vitamin N department. It won't wreck your day, but the last part of a bowl will give me the jitters. I'm not a big hitter when it comes to nicotine, but I'm not a complete light weight either. As an extra bonus with Five O'Clock Shadow, you get a great tasting blend that ages like a dream and is readily available. As an extra extra bonus, C&D blends go on sale fairly frequently for cellaring purposes.

I love lakeland blends, so I'm hopelessly attached to Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Ennerdale is king, but don't sleep on Bob's Chocolate Flake when it's available. Lakeland essence aside, it could be the best chocolate blend out there. Rum flake is also great. Samuel Gawith Grousemoor is lakelandy, and has a weird quality about it where it is somehow both repulsive and enchanting at the same time. I'd recommend getting a sample of it before buying. Grousemoor can be a bit polarizing.

Unfortunately I don't have any of these open at the moment, and I'm trying to burn through some open stuff before I start anything new. I'll try to keep you in mind and reach out when I crack a tin.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
C&D Five O'Clock Shadow is an underrated tobacco in the vitamin N department. It won't wreck your day, but the last part of a bowl will give me the jitters. I'm not a big hitter when it comes to nicotine, but I'm not a complete light weight either. As an extra bonus with Five O'Clock Shadow, you get a great tasting blend that ages like a dream and is readily available. As an extra extra bonus, C&D blends go on sale fairly frequently for cellaring purposes.

I love lakeland blends, so I'm hopelessly attached to Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Ennerdale is king, but don't sleep on Bob's Chocolate Flake when it's available. Lakeland essence aside, it could be the best chocolate blend out there. Rum flake is also great. Samuel Gawith Grousemoor is lakelandy, and has a weird quality about it where it is somehow both repulsive and enchanting at the same time. I'd recommend getting a sample of it before buying. Grousemoor can be a bit polarizing.

Unfortunately I don't have any of these open at the moment, and I'm trying to burn through some open stuff before I start anything new. I'll try to keep you in mind and reach out when I crack a tin.
Great suggestions, thanks.
I'm learning the language and the answers here have been a tremendous help!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor is lakelandy, and has a weird quality about it where it is somehow both repulsive and enchanting at the same time.

:lol: Too true! Grousemoor snuff was excellent, but the pipe weed really caught me off guard. I got myself a sample pouch, and even when I'd finished it, I really wasn't sure what to make of it.

Despite having "completed" my cellar, I have a list of Gringotts and Hogwarts ( :001_tongu ) blends to choose from, for topping up orders for vape juice and pipe cleaners etc, and then bury for five years. Purely for the purposes of confusing Phil, here it is... :lol1:

Revor Plug
Four Squires
Best Brown #2 Unscented
Kendal Plug
Red Mixture
Radfords Luxury
Jamaican Flake
Louisiana Flake
Bob's Chocolate Flake
No.7 Broken Flake
Grasmere Flake
Glengarry Flake
Dark Plug
Dark XX Plug
Bright CR Flake
Reunion Flake
No.27 Perique Flake
Westmoreland Slices
New Prince
Dark Flake Aromatic
Brown Flake Aromatic
Brown House Roll Cut
Broken Scotch Cake

:lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
:lol: Too true! Grousemoor snuff was excellent, but the pipe weed really caught me off guard. I got myself a sample pouch, and even when I'd finished it, I really wasn't sure what to make of it.

Despite having "completed" my cellar, I have a list of Gringotts and Hogwarts ( :001_tongu ) blends to choose from, for topping up orders for vape juice and pipe cleaners etc, and then bury for five years. Purely for the purposes of confusing Phil, here it is... :lol1:

Revor Plug
Four Squires
Best Brown #2 Unscented
Kendal Plug
Red Mixture
Radfords Luxury
Jamaican Flake
Louisiana Flake
Bob's Chocolate Flake
No.7 Broken Flake
Grasmere Flake
Glengarry Flake
Dark Plug
Dark XX Plug
Bright CR Flake
Reunion Flake
No.27 Perique Flake
Westmoreland Slices
New Prince
Dark Flake Aromatic
Brown Flake Aromatic
Brown House Roll Cut
Broken Scotch Cake

:lol:
Bob's Chocolate Flake is the only one of those I've heard of!
:lol1:

Bob's Chocolate Flake is the only one of those I've heard of!
:lol1:
Crooner has a way of getting me some vitamin. The cube cut Burley in it gets it going I think.
MacB Navy Flake was the first tobacco to ever give me the nic spins from a pipe.

Someone will jump in and correct this one but if memory serves me correctly Daughters and Ryan Rhyback have a good nic kick...but it has some dark fired leaf in it.

Crooner has a way of getting me some vitamin. The cube cut Burley in it gets it going I think.
MacB Navy Flake was the first tobacco to ever give me the nic spins from a pipe.

Someone will jump in and correct this one but if memory serves me correctly Daughters and Ryan Rhyback have a good nic kick...but it has some dark fired leaf in it.
I've noticed that with Crooner too, but it's not consistent for me. Most smokes I don't notice the nicotine at all, but every once in a while I hit a bowl that kicks me.

I haven't smoked a pipe in several years, but I'm getting ready to order a new corn cob and some Cavendish tobaccy. I smoked non-filter Kool and Lucky cigarettes thru college in the 60s, but I don't think my body could take that much nicotine at my age
Nope. I smoked cigarettes (ryo) with a higher nicotine than what I put in my pipe years later after I quit smoking cigarettes. I get sick of the heavy stuff.
But I'm not a daily pipesmoker so yeah.

My plan is to find something great that I love and boost it a little maybe with a high N blend. If it doesn't work out, no harm no foul! I'm thinking that the tobaccos that I currently seem to be gravitating to are pretty low nicotine.
My tastes will likely change as my tobacco palate gets more discerning.
Stupid question maybe, but why the focus on the high nicotine?
I know some pipesmokers who smoke on average a pipe of 3 and they all smoke cigarettes for the nicotine.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nope. I smoked cigarettes (ryo) with a higher nicotine than what I put in my pipe years later after I quit smoking cigarettes. I get sick of the heavy stuff.
But I'm not a daily pipesmoker so yeah.

Stupid question maybe, but why the focus on the high nicotine?
I know some pipesmokers who smoke on average a pipe of 3 and they all smoke cigarettes for the nicotine.
I smoke cigarettes and cigars.
The cigars I pretty much have dropped, haven't had one in quite a while which makes both me and the Mrs happy. She was never a fan of the smell.
A cigarette is an insidious parasite, and I am having pretty good results from substituting the oral action of the pipe and the taste as a means of self reward for smoking less.
I will drop cigarettes completely, but my reasoning for higher nicotine content pipe tobacco is to get the N without inhaling. It's pretty easy for a cigar guy to transition to the idea of not inhaling a pipe and thankfully that's where I am. But - before dropping cigarettes entirely, I want to be sure that I'm not tempted to inhale the pipe tobacco to satisfy the N cravings.
One small step at a time. Reduce, substitute, eliminate.

I smoke cigarettes and cigars.
The cigars I pretty much have dropped, haven't had one in quite a while which makes both me and the Mrs happy. She was never a fan of the smell.
A cigarette is an insidious parasite, and I am having pretty good results from substituting the oral action of the pipe and the taste as a means of self reward for smoking less.
I will drop cigarettes completely, but my reasoning for higher nicotine content pipe tobacco is to get the N without inhaling. It's pretty easy for a cigar guy to transition to the idea of not inhaling a pipe and thankfully that's where I am. But - before dropping cigarettes entirely, I want to be sure that I'm not tempted to inhale the pipe tobacco to satisfy the N cravings.
One small step at a time. Reduce, substitute, eliminate.
Believe me the intake of N via soft tissue is quick and massive no need to start with extra strong N-bombs. I never get dizzy from Criollos or other heavy cigars but 2 slices instead of one of Bracken flake will give me the sweats. Worst thing for me was trying Snus after a short dalliance with Redman chew. Things like Thunder or Siberia bring me to my knees in bare minutes - not enjoyable at all so I stopped using that stuff.

Top Bottom