What's new

Recommendations requests

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As I'm just starting this journey, thought I'd make it easy and not pollute everyone's threads with requests!

I'm looking for a recommendation for two "types" of pipe tobacco

1. A Lakeland type that has as high a room note rating as "Ennerdale". I'm not educated enough to know if Ennerdale is a Lakeland or not, but reviews of Ennerdale put it's room note rating higher than anything else I can find. Unfortunately Ennerdale is out of stock everywhere.

2. A heart stopping, room spinning nicotine tobacco. I have heard that 1792 is one such type, but as with my other request, 1792 is out of stock everywhere.

As an aside, why does it seem that these tobaccos seem to be out of stock? If they are that polarizing, you'd think that they would be available!
I know that some of these may have a very select audience, but I have weird tastes (I like Lilac Vegetal after all!) and I don't want to rule these out without trying them myself. The descriptions are intriguing, and I simply must give them a go.

As I'm just starting this journey, thought I'd make it easy and not pollute everyone's threads with requests!

I'm looking for a recommendation for two "types" of pipe tobacco

1. A Lakeland type that has as high a room note rating as "Ennerdale". I'm not educated enough to know if Ennerdale is a Lakeland or not, but reviews of Ennerdale put it's room note rating higher than anything else I can find. Unfortunately Ennerdale is out of stock everywhere.

2. A heart stopping, room spinning nicotine tobacco. I have heard that 1792 is one such type, but as with my other request, 1792 is out of stock everywhere.

As an aside, why does it seem that these tobaccos seem to be out of stock? If they are that polarizing, you'd think that they would be available!
I know that some of these may have a very select audience, but I have weird tastes (I like Lilac Vegetal after all!) and I don't want to rule these out without trying them myself. The descriptions are intriguing, and I simply must give them a go.
My 2 experiences with "heart stopping, room spinning" tobaccos were accidental. First was Match Prince Albert from P & C; despite being labeled "mild" on their site and in their catalog, it really slapped me with nicotine sickness. The second is the White Burley from a local tobacconist. Both smell great and taste fine, but -- for me anyway -- they are savage. If I keep them, I'll just use a tiny pinch of them in a mild, proven tobacco. Dunno if you would have the same reaction I did. Possibly I got a strange batch of the Match PA. But maybe you could look into those.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ennerdale is a Gawith Hoggarth blend and 1792 is a Samuel Gawith blend. Both of these are manufactured in the EU and are available here in the states every 4-6mo is some quantity, but rarely at the same time. It seems like sometimes there is a lot available and every online retailer has every blend produced it in stock for about a week and other times is seems like a few retailers get a few tins of a blend and it lasts about a day. The best thing you can do is sign up for alerts at SP, TP, etc and wait on the email. Just make sure you look asap after getting the email so you don’t miss out.

For room note, if you’re looking for something that just smells good but doesn’t have the Lakeland essence, Lane 1Q is the best selling aromatic for a reason. I’ve read GL Pease Stonehenge flake has some Lakeland qualities, but I’ve never tried it.

High Nicotine can be found in most blends containing Dark Fired Kentucky. Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is a strong one- for me anyway.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just ordered some Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Hot Pressed, Sillem's Commodore Flake and Peterson Elizabethan Mixture.
Hoping to get input on these choices and any other suggestions.
I added Ennerdale and 1792 to my "notify me" list at tobaccopipes.com

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've had ODF and the 'liz, I tolerate ODF but Elizabethan pushes my nic limits, but again, I'm a lightweight.

I havn't smoked Ennerdale but the old Irish Condor Plug ticks many of your boxes: strong nic with floral/alcohol Lakeland notes.

1792 is also very high up on the N-scale but additonally you have to like the Tonqin and this is really hit and miss. I have cellared it deep to mellow it out but I have yet to try it with 8-9 year of age on it.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
For me, Lakeland tobacco is like root beer, or Ginger snaps. I really like it, but only a few times a year.
Grousemore and Erinmore has the most Lakeland essence to me, then Ennerdale, and finally one of my favorites, St. Bruno Flake. Mac Baren Navy Flake is reported to have a floral essence too, but I don't get that much.

Strong tobaccos I enjoy are Irish Flake, HH Rustica, HH Bold Kentucky, and some of the ropes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In the potent Lakeland aroma camp, I would say SG Grousemoor (plug or mixture), or Bosun Flake/Plug are at least as scented as Ennerdale ... and probably need as much patience to acquire over there. I believe Bosun is the strongest that I have tried in terms of Lakeland scent.

In the knock you down, and turn you green, category, any brown rope/twist from Gawith Hoggarth would be first choice. Black twists tend not to be as strong. Beyond that, there is 1792 (vile stuff), and Lakeland Dark (Same stuff but without being contaminated with tonquin). Coniston Cut Plug is damn potent stuff too (something like 75% dark fired). Peterson Irish Flake is also rather strong, though not to the same extent in my opinion, and likely more easily available. I can't comment on Old Dark Fired from MacBaren, as I couldn't finish the smoke. It tasted like soil that someone has spilt diesel on.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In the potent Lakeland aroma camp, I would say SG Grousemoor (plug or mixture), or Bosun Flake/Plug are at least as scented as Ennerdale ... and probably need as much patience to acquire over there. I believe Bosun is the strongest that I have tried in terms of Lakeland scent.

In the knock you down, and turn you green, category, any brown rope/twist from Gawith Hoggarth would be first choice. Black twists tend not to be as strong. Beyond that, there is 1792 (vile stuff), and Lakeland Dark (Same stuff but without being contaminated with tonquin). Coniston Cut Plug is damn potent stuff too (something like 75% dark fired). Peterson Irish Flake is also rather strong, though not to the same extent in my opinion, and likely more easily available. I can't comment on Old Dark Fired from MacBaren, as I couldn't finish the smoke. It tasted like soil that someone has spilt diesel on.
The descriptions of 1792 and your description of ODF has me REALLY wanting to try them. I have a very strange palate, and I do like the earthy, heavy flavors!

content.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For lakelands, look at the Gawith Hoggarth bulk blends. Many are available in "aromatic" and "unscented" versions (e.g. Dark Flake and Brown Flake). The "aromotic" version has lakeland topping. Another one I like is Louisiana Flake, which is a VaPer with lakeland topping. The other day I mentioned two LJ Peretti blends which also have a lakeland topping, but they're not advertised as such: No Name and Original. They're in the category, though, and are burley-based rather than Virginia-based like the UK lakeland blends.

For nicotine content, Gawith Hoggarth Black Irish X and Brown Bogie are up there. And as mentioned above, anything with a healthy portion of Dark Fired Kentucky leaf is higher in Nic. Oh, and if you find some MacBaren HH Rustica, that has a different type of tobacco in it (rustica, of course), which is higher in nicotine. I haven't had that one, but I expect it's pretty high in nicotine. Lastly, I don't know if it's available anymore, but Tambolaka is an Indonesian tobacco that is legendary for its high nicotine content.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For lakelands, look at the Gawith Hoggarth bulk blends. Many are available in "aromatic" and "unscented" versions (e.g. Dark Flake and Brown Flake). The "aromotic" version has lakeland topping. Another one I like is Louisiana Flake, which is a VaPer with lakeland topping. The other day I mentioned two LJ Peretti blends which also have a lakeland topping, but they're not advertised as such: No Name and Original. They're in the category, though, and are burley-based rather than Virginia-based like the UK lakeland blends.

For nicotine content, Gawith Hoggarth Black Irish X and Brown Bogie are up there. And as mentioned above, anything with a healthy portion of Dark Fired Kentucky leaf is higher in Nic. Oh, and if you find some MacBaren HH Rustica, that has a different type of tobacco in it (rustica, of course), which is higher in nicotine. I haven't had that one, but I expect it's pretty high in nicotine. Lastly, I don't know if it's available anymore, but Tambolaka is an Indonesian tobacco that is legendary for its high nicotine content.
Thank you! I've heard of the Tambolaka in my perusing. Going to have to take a look.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
PM incoming. I have a good stock of 1792, and lots of Lakelands. I think I have a jar of Ennerdale floating around, but I have to say Ennerdale is probably one of the strongest Lakeland perfumed tobacco out there.
You're a gentleman and a scholar. Yeah, that "strongest" identifier is what attracted me!

I don't have very much experience in Lakelands. I would suggest following other suggestions on that. But as far as knock you in your keister nicotine, Peterson Irish Flake and Five Bros are the ones that did me in. Five Bros is a good one to mix in other blends to punch them up a bit.

For me a nicotine bomb is rattray stirling flake (remake of the peterson irish flake).
I believe troost flakes are also flavoured with the tonka bean. But I don't remember a heavy kick from them. I just don't really like them, althou it is a long time ago since i last smoke them. So maybe i should give it another go.

Top Bottom