What's new

Recommendations for a mild open comb razor (or alternative if such a thing doesn't exist!)?

My regular razors are all mild closed combs (Edwin Jagger DE86, Gillette 58 TV Special Superspeed, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Gillette Sportsman Tech, Wilkinson Sword Sticky, Gillette King C) paired with sharper blades (BIC Chrome Platinum's and Israeli Reds mainly), but every so often I have a period where, for whatever reason, I end up not shaving for a longer period than normal and I find my closed combs tug on my longer stubble.

With this in mind I'm thinking about buying an Open Comb razor for the days I have more growth than usual to mow down but something on the milder side if possible as mild razors and sharp blades are what seem to work best for me. Ideally I would just like to pick up a head I can use with my existing handles as I don't see myself using this very often but this isn't a stead fast requirement if no suitable options are available. The Muhle r41 seemed to be an obvious choice to pair with the Edwin Jagger handle, but I don't think this fits the mild requirement?

If it helps with recommendations, I usually shave WFT, XTG, XTG and don't both going ATG.

So with all of that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, one other point to note is I am in the UK so the Razorock and Maggars options aren't easy to get ahold of.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks for the suggestions so far, one other point to note is I am in the UK so the Razorock and Maggars options aren't easy to get ahold of.
Hi from Cardiff! You could take a look on the Bay, there are often "7 o'clock" vintage razors from before they were acquired by Gillette which are superb, and also ball end old types which are inexpensive. The Goodwill may be a bit more expensive but is a lovely razor. Good luck.

Hi from Cardiff! You could take a look on the Bay, there are often "7 o'clock" vintage razors from before they were acquired by Gillette which are superb, and also ball end old types which are inexpensive. The Goodwill may be a bit more expensive but is a lovely razor. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see what is available, the problem with the Bay is I often get carried away and over pay 🤣

Gillette New Long Comb or Goodwill #160.

Agree with my buddy Dan: The Goodwills are very mild, as is the Bohin. I find generally that the thicker teeth the milder OC...

Also - and here I know many will disagree with me - a great condition umolested 1st generation British Aristocrat is also very mild to me. I generally only like mild razors and any of my 1st gen Aristocrats are supersmooth and nice, in fact probably the mildest OC I’ve ever tried... and the most beautiful...

41CE98D8-AC15-41B1-8BFA-BF42A2956179.jpeg

I second the recommendation of a 7 O'clock. I also recommend a vintage Leresche - I have one that says something like POUR VOTRE LAME DOUX which I believe means FOR YOUR MILD BLADE.

Top Bottom