What's new

Recommend me some work pants

I like to keep things minimal to give the wife closet space. We all know they need more of it, right? Anyway, I like to look good even though I work in adverse conditions. I work in a foundry and machine shop. I live on a farm, so at home... mechanics, fence building, cattle working, tree cutting, hunting fishing. YOu get the idea. I need something tough. But I want them to look sharp. I would like to be able to buy some pants that look good, wear them out and about, and then when they get worn in or I need a new work pair... I take the "nice" ones for work and buy another pair for "nice". I am currently wearing dickies, wranglers, (blue jeans of each) for work. I have various blue jeans for "Sunday go to meeting" pants.... Fly paper, BKE, Lucky. Some of these are nice looking and quite comfortable, however they do not feel like they will make the transition into work pants well. I am also a bit reserved about the flashy buttons and stitching on the pockets, the faded thighs....you know that new age sorta thing.

Anyway, I saw a pair of Redhead ultimate work pants that looked as if they might fit the bill. However they only come in 6 colors of grey LOL.

So, any body out there have any recommendations? Sort of looking at some twill.... kirkland maybe?

For everyday work stuff I usually wear the Wrangler cargos. There’s a small outer pocket on the left cargo pocket that works very well for a phone. Usually under $20 at Walmart and a pair lasts me at least a year. Not all that stylish but if I wear something expensive to work that’s sure to be one of the days that a huge oil leak or paint spill happens.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I got a couple pair of these for work:

79A4990B-28F6-4CD1-BD0E-8EF8D5B81051.jpeg

They offer a Twill option I think. They are really comfortable. I wear them at work and at home. I’ve gotten away from jeans pretty much, just not as comfortable anymore.

I wear Red Kapp button shirts. Mechanic uniform style I think. They have stain resistant fabric or coating or something. They look really nice and work great as work shirts. I get plenty of compliments on them. But the Red Kapp pants..... not sure about those.

I got a couple pair of these for work:

View attachment 1192284

They offer a Twill option I think. They are really comfortable. I wear them at work and at home. I’ve gotten away from jeans pretty much, just not as comfortable anymore.
I am not, generally, big on carhart stuff. Perhaps just because of the name. Those do look really good though. The dark blue/black should dress up quite nice with a dress shirt or casual jacket/blazer. It says relaxed thigh and seat. I am a 41 year old skinny white male. So....chicken legs and no behind LOL. Can you give me an idea of if they have a relaxed fit in general? I do not want skinny jeans but I do not want MCHammer pants either. The crotch needs to be nice and high. If it is draping down some, I cannot get my leg high enough to reach the tractor step and what not.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I am not, generally, big on carhart stuff. Perhaps just because of the name. Those do look really good though. The dark blue/black should dress up quite nice with a dress shirt or casual jacket/blazer. It says relaxed thigh and seat. I am a 41 year old skinny white male. So....chicken legs and no behind LOL. Can you give me an idea of if they have a relaxed fit in general? I do not want skinny jeans but I do not want MCHammer pants either. The crotch needs to be nice and high. If it is draping down some, I cannot get my leg high enough to reach the tractor step and what not.

I bought a size 38 since I like pants a bit looser. They are relaxed enough for me. Amazon is pretty easy with returns if they don’t fit right. Typically this time of year your local Tractor Supply or Co-Op will carry Carhartt clothing so you might luck out and find some in store to try on.

I’m wearing them right now. That’s pulling at the knee. Plenty of leg room. The crotch isn’t baggy at all, but it’s also not tight either. Reminds me of the Duluth Trading crotch gusset. Except they don’t have the gusset, they just have ample room.

I also like that the two back pockets do not have an inner lining. I hate that.

03F49C36-BE8F-462F-A8BA-A3D42043D059.jpeg

77CE6EF9-0A7F-47AE-A6E6-BD57E54BF9B4.jpeg

I have a few different pairs of pants from Duluth. I really like the "Firehose" pants, and they may fit what you're looking for. They have a variety of pocket options as well, depending on what you want to carry around with you and how "fancy" they need to be. As a fellow 40+ SWG (skinny white guy), I'd suggest sticking with the "standard" fit, as all their stuff runs a bit on the baggier side. For instance, I bought some of their "ballroom khakis" a while back and had to return them due to feeling like a much less cool MC Hammer.

Wranglers or Dickies from Walmart, Wranglers from Target in both a mostly cotton and mostly synthetic blend

Carhartt 2nds from Sierra Trading Post

Key Brand Double Knee pants

Top Bottom