What's new

Recommend me a vetiver for around $50-75

My Wife is more than willing to buy me some fragrance for Christmas but I am sort of stuck with a price range. We agreed since the recent purchase of an Escape that we'd go easy on the checkbook for each other. I know she would buy me some TF Grey but I don't want her spending $100 for 1.7oz.
I was thinking maybe Encre Noire Lalique since I've tried it and it's nice but it is just missing something perhaps a tad of sweetness that some others have. Local stores had some nice Gucci (can't remember what it was). Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

Guerlain Vetiver. I have it and Encre Noire and I like Guerlain Vetiver a little better. Creed Original Vetiver might be more up your alley in terms of preference since it is more of a fresh and soapy, clean vetiver scent.... but it's out of your price range. Guerlain Vetiver has a nice, clean dry down on me that I really enjoy. I also like the smokey opening. Definitely a classic.

Ben

Thanks, I had a feeling Guerlain was going to come up and fast! I like it dark but for some damn reason Encre Noire smells like scented Charmin to me!

I would say Encre Noir or Guerlain Vetiver, Grey Vetiver if you find it at a discount, and I second the motion to investigate Original Vetiver if that's the fragrance type you like, it's terrific stuff.

L'Occitane Vetyver is in that price range. It's one of my favorites.

http://usa.loccitane.com/vetyver-eau-de-toilette,82,1,29435,261953.htm

$P.aspx.jpg

In that price range I'd have to go with the Guerlain. Encre Noire is ok for the price, but the Iso E Super kills it for me as someone else just mentioned in another thread. The L'Occitane Vetyver gets a lot of praise, but it's not a very vetiver centered frag imo.

Last edited:
+3!

Note: the vetiver scent is overshadowed by some other stronger scents (noob, so can't described these scents) - still, it is my fav.

I tested Guerlain Vetiver at the store: projection does not seem to be as strong as L'occitane (caveat: tested on a strip of paper)
Encre noire - great vetiver scent...but I ocassionally get a whiff of the "artificial" ink-like scent.

The above are based on my olfactory perception...ymmv blah blah blah

Guerlain Vetiver. I have it and Encre Noire and I like Guerlain Vetiver a little better. Creed Original Vetiver might be more up your alley in terms of preference since it is more of a fresh and soapy, clean vetiver scent.... but it's out of your price range. Guerlain Vetiver has a nice, clean dry down on me that I really enjoy. I also like the smokey opening. Definitely a classic.

Ben
+1 on the Geurlain an awesome vetiver the only one I like better is Creed. I recommend trying some samples or buying small decants first to find what works best for you.

I really like Guerlain. I got a 4.2 oz bottle for $25 off the BST
Tom Ford really doesn't do it for me.
L'Occitane smells great.
But for me, Original Vetiver by Creed is the bomb. I can't justify buying it right now, but when I can, it's the next bottle on my list. It costs more, but it smells amazing.

BTW, I would not get anything that you're not thrilled with. It's no fun wearing juice that's just "o.k." If your heart is set on Tom Ford, wait for it to show up on BST.

Guerlain is one of the "go to" vet scents for many, many of us. I maintain its how many of us "relate" to vetiver.
It's classic, last pretty well, manly. I once agreed with Merkur89's projection comment about, but now find its a more tenacious scent than originally thought.

Havent tried the L'Occitane myself. I'm sure it's a nice scent overall.

Encre Noir is weird - to me. I know many like it and I'm not knocking it, but it is a more unconventional kind of scent. YMMV.

One question I have retiredguns- why are you singularly focused on a vetiver scent?

One question I have retiredguns- why are you singularly focused on a vetiver scent?

I've only tried samples but I do like the style. I have 8-9 other frags that I like and use regularly but have been so sparing of the samples that I want a bottle!

Top Bottom