What's new

Recommend a motorcycle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
$1975-MV-Agusta-750S-America.jpg

That 170 mile trip, will you be bringing some luggage with you?
Very little luggage, probably just the CPAP machine I sleep with. Maybe a laptop, but I'd probably arrange for a spare computer to be left at the country house. I can leave enough clothing there that I wouldn't have to pack anything else.

Very little luggage, probably just the CPAP machine I sleep with. Maybe a laptop, but I'd probably arrange for a spare computer to be left at the country house. I can leave enough clothing there that I wouldn't have to pack anything else.

Shouldn't be a problem weight-wise. If you can't fit everything into a backpack you can wear comfortably, make sure the bike has some place to store (saddlebags) or strap an extra bag (2nd seat with a sissybar).

I finally made it to the DMV office to get the motorcycle endoresement added to my license. Now it's just a matter of keeping an eye out for a good deal on a bike!

The insurance discount for taking the MSF course was not all that much. Quotes from a couple of sources only gave me a $6/6 months discount for having taken a course within the last three years for a grand total of $36 before I have to take another course to renew the discount. On the other hand, I didn't have to ride for an examiner at DMV and the training was invaluable.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I recall when my wife tested for her motorcycle license some (let's not say how many) years ago. Almost everyone at the DMV was a hardcore biker on a giant Hardly Dangerous. She was the only one who passed that day. I was very proud of her, and bought her an XL1200.

Note; Ligher bike /taller bike = More wind effect. Floor boards / forward pegs = less control and more comfort, lower seat = more stable less maneuverability. PICKUP TRUCKS will kill you

Zombie thread alert! I hate doing it, but it seemed reasonable to show that sometimes these discussions come to something after all.

Early in 2017, long after this thread concluded, I returned from an extended overseas trip with per diem money burning a hole in my pocket and still no motorcycle. Wandering into the local Harley-Davidson dealer late on the last day of January when they were trying to blow out the 2016 models a deal was made for this:
It's a 2016 Harley-Davidson xg750. Commuter duty and weekend trips to my house in the country have put 6K miles on it in the past year. The saddle bags hold clothing for a weekend, my CPAP machine, and even a small laptop computer. A large tank bag held onto the luggage rack with a bungee net provides even more carrying capacity.

It gobbles the miles on rural interstates, although with a year of riding I still try to avoid heavy traffic on city streets and even urban freeways. Basically the places that are annoying in the car get avoided while on the motorcycle. That may change this year as my confidence grows.

It's not a popular model, but it has been affordable to buy, economical to run, reliable. and not too much for a beginning rider to handle.

Way to go! Looking forward to many rides this year and planning a long one with the guys right now. Your experience will come and next thing you know, you’ll be doing cross-country rides like the rest of us!

Congrats, and welcome to the ride!
Thanks! This past year has been good. I don't "live to ride" as the saying goes, I ride
Your experience will come and next thing you know, you’ll be doing cross-country rides like the rest of us!
The bike got pulled out of storage early last March with only occasional, short forays onto I-35, until last June. The first "cross country" trip was to take the bike from central Iowa to the dealership in extreme southwestern Iowa for its 1K scheduled maintenance. It was my first time on the interstate for more than 20 miles. It was a crack of dawn departure on Saturday morning, so no traffic to speak of. No incidents, and I've repeated the trip at least 3-4 times now. The last iteration of that trip was this past weekend, which is what prompted me to revive the thread with an update.
There are no old bold riders.
As a private pilot who works in IT, risk mitigation is pretty thoroughly ingrained in me. I try to push myself out of my comfort zone just a bit so that my skills develop to the point that I can do what needs done without going crazy and doing stupid stuff just for the heck of it.

Well folks, I had a 1955 Harley pan head 74 Hydra-Glide when I was 16 in high school.
I didn't find it too large because the Harleys have most of their weight below the axles.
The Japanese and British bikes have the weight above the axles which makes them top heavy and a little difficult to turn in a tight spot without dumping them.
That is why Honda always put their gas tank under the seat, you couldn't hold it up if it was where it was supposed to be.
Not putting any brand down just letting you know you need to ride several before you buy one.

I have been riding for 58 years my last Harley was a hardtail, kick start, and had 237,000 miles with out an engine tear down. I now have a 2008 Road-Glide, my first electric start, and I rode trials for Yamaha many years ago and plenty of motocross and enduros with Suzuki and Yamaha.

Top Bottom