What's new

Recommend a good natural toothpaste?

Didn't see any sections that looked more appropriate for this topic so I'm posting here.

I normally use Colgate but am trying to get more natural products in general. I've found good all organic deodorant from Weleda and soap from Dr. Bronners that I like a lot. As for toothpaste, I tried a friend's Weleda salt toothpaste and didn't like it. A dentist also told me that salt is a bit too abrasive on the enamel to use as a toothpaste but salt water as a mouthwash is fine. I got a tube of Trader Joe's all natural peppermint with fluoride and baking soda and while it may be alright at cleaning teeth, it is way too thick and dry to even come out of the tube easily. I've gotten tired of this pretty quick.

So, what are your favorites? I like stuff that has fluoride and breath freshening or whitening properties without eroding my enamel.

I got some Kiss My Face whitening and its great. It's like a blue gel and comes out much easier than trader joes stuff.

I noticed a few other brands at my natural foods co-op: Jason, Neem, Clay brite, Desert Essence, Vicco, anyone tried these products?

baking soda.

Agreed, you can't get much more natural than baking soda. I've been on the natural wagon for skin, body, and hair products for over a decade now but I've limited myself primarily to products available to me at local stores. That selection is pretty good given that I have access to EarthFare, Whole Foods, and now a few others but I've been consistently using and liking Tom's of Maine toothpaste, Dr. Bronner's soap (hard soap for body and liquid soap for hair), Nature's Gate deodorant, and Burt's Bees for lotion that doesn't make me break out (I used to use Burt's shaving soap and aftershave until I found B&B - now the razor rash neck has disappeared, thanks B&B!).

I use THERANEEM Neem Toothpaste with Mint. Isn't sweet, with just enough mint to make the process bearable. It's fluoride free, sulfate free, paraben free, gluten free, with no artificial colors or flavors. Plus it's vegan and animal cruelty free. One of the best toothpastes I have used. The only problems? Well, since there is no coloring to it, it's naturally brown, which can be a turn off. Hasn't really bothered me. The main reason it's hard to get use to is because it's nearly $6 for 120g (4.23 oz). You only have to use a little though, like a pea-size amount, so with two brushings a day... Roughly 2 months is its lasting power. If you are willing to spend the dough, this is a real nice product to at least give a shot. Believe me, I'm on the hunt for a cheaper toothpaste as well, but one with this one's attributes!

I use THERANEEM Neem Toothpaste with Mint. Isn't sweet, with just enough mint to make the process bearable. It's fluoride free, sulfate free, paraben free, gluten free, with no artificial colors or flavors. Plus it's vegan and animal cruelty free. One of the best toothpastes I have used. The only problems? Well, since there is no coloring to it, it's naturally brown, which can be a turn off. Hasn't really bothered me. The main reason it's hard to get use to is because it's nearly $6 for 120g (4.23 oz). You only have to use a little though, like a pea-size amount, so with two brushings a day... Roughly 2 months is its lasting power. If you are willing to spend the dough, this is a real nice product to at least give a shot. Believe me, I'm on the hunt for a cheaper toothpaste as well, but one with this one's attributes!

I'll have to check that out. I'm reading good things about neem for teeth. $6 for 2 months is worth it for me if it works well.

baking soda.

Agreed, you can't get much more natural than baking soda. I've been on the natural wagon for skin, body, and hair products for over a decade now but I've limited myself primarily to products available to me at local stores. That selection is pretty good given that I have access to EarthFare, Whole Foods, and now a few others but I've been consistently using and liking Tom's of Maine toothpaste, Dr. Bronner's soap (hard soap for body and liquid soap for hair), Nature's Gate deodorant, and Burt's Bees for lotion that doesn't make me break out (I used to use Burt's shaving soap and aftershave until I found B&B - now the razor rash neck has disappeared, thanks B&B!).

I use Eco-dent tooth powders. They are baking soda based but have other good things in there. I have all the four flavours, mint, cinnamon, lemon-lime and anise in addition to the extrabrite whitening powder.

My teeth have never felt so nice plus there is no sign of tartar, plaque and they are definitely whiter and brighter. I also use their floss, great floss and great value.

Most natural toothpastes won't have fluoride. And many toothpastes claiming to be natural are just as synthetic like any over the shelf toothpaste.

Most natural toothpastes won't have fluoride. And many toothpastes claiming to be natural are just as synthetic like any over the shelf toothpaste.

Yes, I was a little disappointed when I read the ingredients on my Tom's of Maine toothpaste and saw SLS in it. Jason's is SLS free but it is very thick.

I like Tom's of Maine. The only drawback is the SLS, but it has great reviews on the Environmental Working Group Cosmetic Safety Database. It is now all that we use (fluoride free formulations). Check out the database for all your deodorants, moisturizers, sunscreens, toothpastes, etc.

Top Bottom