What's new

Natural Deodorants - Reviews and Details

I had all kinds of problems finding the right deodorant. The Crystal spray and rock are outstanding for more than 12 hour protection

Lavilin Deodorant seems to get good reviews on the net. I've never used it personally, but always wanted to give it a try.

Ingredients: zinc oxide, petroleum jelly, talc, potato starch, calendula oil, arnica oil, vitamin E, ascorbyl palmitate, citric acid, natural fragrance

I've been using Lavilin for about 25 years now, and I won't use anything else. For me, I use it once every 9 days and then I'm smell-free and don't have to think about it again.

Just think, guys, that's 2 more minutes in the morning to faceturbate!:biggrin:

The Crystal spray works well and is cheap. Protects well in a high temperature and high humidity environment. Available for $2.40 at the Vitamin Shoppe.

I have been using Crystal for several months and it works better than anything I have ever used.

I have a few of the unused nature's gate if anyone's interested. I have a better choice now so I'll never get around to using them. PM me with address and I'll send them to you gratis.

It's Nature's Gate chamomile and lemon verbena - label says no prop.gly. and no aluminum.
Are you sure the label says no aluminum or does it say no aluminum chlorohydrate? Howard Stern bought Nature's Gate roll-on because he believed it had no aluminum in it because the label said "no aluminum chlorohydrate". It did, however, end up containing another form of aluminum.

You should bottle this and sell it. You know we're all a bunch of cheap asses, so price has to be right. But, I'm sure you'd do something. I'd probably try some out.

I gave baking soda a try, and was really surprised with the results. It does work pretty well! I did get some irritation though, nothing terrible but it was noticeable.

However - being a DIY type, I looked around online and found some 'recipes' for making deodorant. I compared these against the contents of most natural deodorants for sale, and came up with a mixture that pretty much mirrors what is in the commercial products I've used and liked. I've been using it for 2 days now and it's as effective as any I've tried, and I've had zero irritation. Now we'll just have to see if it stands the test of time.

For the curious or brave, I purchased the ingredients at Whole Foods, and I spent about $40. I'm new at this, but I figure I have enough materials to make about 5 batches of deodorant, which would be about a year's supply for me.

My mixture:

1/4 cup witch hazel
1/4 cup aloe vera (liquid form)
1/4 cup alcohol
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
~10 drops tea tree oil
~10 drops clary sage oil

I mixed the essential oils with the glycerin, put the liquid ingredients in a 100ml spray bottle, then added the glycerin/oil mixture. It smells exactly like the Weleda tea tree product I used - the tea tree smell is strong for the first 15 minutes but fades to the point its unnoticeable.

My reasoning behind the ingredients:

- Witch hazel for the astringent/cleansing properties
- Aloe vera for healing/skin health
- Alcohol as a distribution method as well as disinfectant/antibacterial agent
- Vegetable glycerin as a carrier for the essential oils
- Tea tree as it is a potent antibacterial oil
- Clary sage as it is another antibacterial oil, that shares a similiar scent with tea tree

I'm interested in ways I could modify this to get different scents (i.e. add peppermint, or maybe bay & vetiver oils) but I'm not going to dabble in that until I'm sure the base formula actually works.

I keep two alum blocks, one for my post shave face and one for my underarms. Inhibiting bacteria or not something about using the same block for both just seems....less then kosher :scared:

Works wonderfully. Does nothing to stop sweat, and I'm a heavy sweater. But it does a great job of stopping BO.

If I want some scent I slap a little of whatever aftershave splash I am using that day under my arms. Extra bay rummy goodness

Top Bottom