What's new

Recommend a good Marinade for Grilling Fresh Salmon

I have over 100 lbs of Northwest Pacific salmon (Coho and Chinook) from a recent fishing trip. I would like to grill it on my propane grill. Any recommendations for a good marinade?? I also have some (7 lbs) of halibut.

I have over 100 lbs of Northwest Pacific salmon (Coho and Chinook) from a recent fishing trip. I would like to grill it on my propane grill. Any recommendations for a good marinade?? I also have some (7 lbs) of halibut.

I am a big fan of Asian food and I would certainly be doing some of the salmon in a teriyaki style.

Believe it or not Maple Syrup and then cook it on a soaked cedar plank with a little sea salt and black pepper. Incredible.

I was going to say teriyaki as well. When we don't do teriyaki, we rub the salmon with olive oil then put on either garlic salt, old bay seasoning or lowreys seasoned salt. So we do salmon 4 different ways.

My wife likes equal parts honey and dijon, but that is more of a baste than a marinade. I usually just slather some on about 2 minutes before it seems done.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Believe it or not Maple Syrup and then cook it on a soaked cedar plank with a little sea salt and black pepper. Incredible.

+1

or with a Potlatch rub. The smoking cedar adds a magical taste. Make sure you have a safe place to set down the burning plank . . . a spray bottle with water is good to have by in case the cedar actually catches fire. A rare event in my case.

Its fresh salmon. Grill it, hit it with melted butter and enjoy!!!

Use a little soy sauce and liquid smoke with the butter if you must but it shouldn't need much more than a lemon wedge :D

+3 for the maple syrup.
make up individual packets of foil. put a few tbs of syrup, a few dashes of soy sauce, fresh chopped garlic (1 bulb per piece of salmon) and some fresh pepper, then toss them on the grill.

100lbs of salmon is a lot of fish though. you should smoke some of it. mmmmmm lox

Equal parts soy sauce, lemon juice, orange juice, balsamic vinegar and some dill weed.
Marinate with this and then reduce the liquid for a thick sauce to top the salmon.

I'd keep it light as I love the flavour of salmon on it's own. Maybe just a little lemon juice, dill and rock salt

It's not really a marinade but with that much fish I'd make some Gravlax...basic sugar/salt cure with dill for a few days. Delicious.

Last edited:
Good Salmon does not need much

Garlic salt and pepper.. and a dash of lemon after it is cooked.

(They say not to addic until the food is cooked, because it will tighten the fibers)

Top Bottom