What's new

Reamers

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
What are your go to pipe reamers. This can be something not produced, but can be found on various sites.

I use the Decatur Ream-All Pipe Tool, which runs around $15.00. It works well for around 90% of my pipes. It does need a bit of caution, but works generally well. I do plan to get a pipe reamer knife at some point.

I have tried many of the different styles. The British butner style and the Decatur/ castleford style like above are the ones I've used most. I didn't like the senior style reamer. It wasn't shaped correctly to fit the tobacco chamber in pretty much all of my pipes lol. I've also used a couple pipe knifes with good success. You just have to be more careful. Also have a couple like the decatur three sided reamer/savinelli fitsaw reamers. Mine were not intended for pipes and were pointed but I blunted the tip and they work really well. Been using them more and more lately.

Pic of the scraper ones before I blunted the tips. I believe they were listed as "bevel knifes".

20180205_183327.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was looking for one as well and settled on the SP reaming knife. Works really well. It’s a sharpened up oyster shucker.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

This is my go to as well. I’ve tried the others—butner, senior reemer, t-handle reemer, which are all designed to be a bit idiot proof, but I found I get better control and can go slow and easy with the oyster knife from SP. I won’t use anything else, although those Savinelli triangular ones also look nice (very similar to the bevel knives posted above—also, Philip Rivara makes a nice version of the Savinelli knife).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This is my go to as well. I’ve tried the others—butner, senior reemer, t-handle reemer, which are all designed to be a bit idiot proof, but I found I get better control and can go slow and easy with the oyster knife from SP. I won’t use anything else, although those Savinelli triangular ones also look nice (very similar to the bevel knives posted above—also, Philip Rivara makes a nice version of the Savinelli knife).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup I bought one on your recommendation. Works really well in every pipe so far.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I have a three-sided Decatur and the SP knife. Of the two, I think I prefer the oyster knife, but I can't say why. They both work in exactly the same way, and the knife doesn't seem to be any more effective. Maybe the handle is a little more comfortable, maybe? Or maybe it's because the Decatur has a box it lives in, while the knife is out in the open and more convenient to grab.

Top Bottom