Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'The Barber Shop' started by 6Cuda6, Nov 29, 2018.

That's because he's is a hoplophile himself...as I recall from reading about Hunter years ago, he not only is seriously into precision shooting, but also competed, at least in amateur shooting sports.

Greg

1. One of my favorites as well...I read Dickens' <i>A Christmas Carol</i> and <i>The Mansion</i> by Henry Van Dyke most years around this time. Usually out loud to any of my grandchildren who are available and willing to listen :).

Greg

2. I guess that's better than being a hoplophic. :biggrin1:

I have Rudolph for a Christmas story. I need to read that one again.

[​IMG]

3. Canadian Mountain Man

Canadian Mountain Man Contributor

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou, non-fiction about the Theranos scandal/scam. Fascinating stuff

4. It certainly is a unique book and is interesting on many levels. I hope the Kindle version has the photographs but if not they are available online.

5. oc_in_fw

oc_in_fw Contributor

The description says it does

6. The Knize

The Knize Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that is an interesting one to come up in a B&B thread. I do not know if I have actually read that one or not. I have been meaning to re-read Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism and Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by
    Chögyam Trungpa to see how they have held up. Maybe Zen Mind, Beginners Mind. Maybe some of Pema Chodron's work.

I think I prefer the modern American teachers like Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, and even Dan Harris, over the classic gurus who seemed to attract scandal like honey attracts flies. As I recall, Yogananda might seem awfully miracles, lineage, and secret knowledge for these days. It is hard to get around just how crazy Trungpa was, but the writing might still be useful. Just IMHO though.

7. That's pretty much my opinion, too. What encouraged me to read it was this article about Steve Jobs. Supposedly it was his favorite book and he reread it every year. Got me curious.

The Last Gift Steve Jobs Gave To Family And Friends Was A Book About Self Realisation

8. The Knize

Interesting. I am going to have to pick up this book eventually. I knew Jobs was into meditation. I did not realize he was that into Yogananda. I thought Yogananda emphasized kindness and the "brotherhood" of all people. One does hear about Jobs in those terms.

9. Anyone gotten through Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise yet? I tried three or four times but it's just too poorly written. His later ones were good.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

10. I'm still working on Robin Hobb - now maybe 9000 pages in, Dragon Haven (2nd book of the 4th series 'Rain Wilds Chronicles').

I actually got hooked in with the idea of reading the 'Fitz and the Fool Trilogy' but then heeded advice to read the previous 13 books first... Very good read. Together with a little pod vaping device it encouraged me to stay inside and quit smoking too ;)

11. The Knize

Have never given it a try. You are not encouraging me!