What's new

Read any good books lately?

The only books I read these days is for graduate classes. I will be thrilled when I get back to reading historical books, especially about the US in the 1800s..

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Recently started reading a few pages from: The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had by Susan Wise Bauer. It is a book that describes how to approach reading different genres, e.g. novel, autobiography, history, poetry, etc. as well as providing a recommended reading list in each category. I was very impressed that the author was a 30 year old mother/wife/teacher/student (IIRC) who had seemingly had researched and read all the books mentioned, giving a brief synopsis of each and recommending certain editions over others. I would have expected such a work to have come from someone much older who was reflecting back on a lifetime of reading.

Recently started reading a few pages from: The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had by Susan Wise Bauer. It is a book that describes how to approach reading different genres, e.g. novel, autobiography, history, poetry, etc. as well as providing a recommended reading list in each category. I was very impressed that the author was a 30 year old mother/wife/teacher/student (IIRC) who had seemingly had researched and read all the books mentioned, giving a brief synopsis of each and recommending certain editions over others. I would have expected such a work to have come from someone much older who was reflecting back on a lifetime of reading.
Edit: The author was 30yo when going back to graduate school which was part of her journey to writing this book. I do not know her actual age or experience when writing this book.

Alas, the only book I've read recently is Weapons for Writers. It's a good primer, but there's always caveats. If someone doesn't know the basics about firearms and weapons, it's a good start. While it's geared for fiction writers, anyone who writes about weapons would benefit from this one.

I've been writing more than reading fiction lately, which isn't a good sign. I need a good, fiction, Christmas read, but haven't found one yet.

Just finished reading The Evening Hour by Carter Sickels. The movie based on the book was filmed about two hours from me. Really good read.

About halfway through "Washington: A Life," by Ron Chernow. Excellent biography, and giving me some very different insight into the man's guiding principles, philosphy, and actions than I had thought would happen. Next up is likely going to be "Grant," also by Chernow.

Actually, I usually have 3-4 books going at once, from biography/history, to fiction, to spiritual, to professional books.

Greg

The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto. Also on Oathbringer; Book 3 of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson,

A Christmas Carol. I read it with my 6th graders. If you think about it, by the end of next week, I will have read it 33 times.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Alas, the only book I've read recently is Weapons for Writers. It's a good primer, but there's always caveats. If someone doesn't know the basics about firearms and weapons, it's a good start. While it's geared for fiction writers, anyone who writes about weapons would benefit from this one.

Stephen Hunter does real well in that area. I've seen one error but that could have occurred during printing. The novels I've read of his: G-Man, Hot Springs, Pale Horse Coming, and a couple of others. Currently on Havana and have The Third Bullet, which is about the JFK assassination, on deck. His novels are fiction and not always historically correct...in one instance his protagonist kills a mafia figure, but in real life the mobster died 30 years later of natural causes. But he makes that clear in the acknowledgements at the end of the book.

Top Bottom