What's new

Read any good books lately?

Stephen Hunter does real well in that area. I've seen one error but that could have occurred during printing. The novels I've read of his: G-Man, Hot Springs, Pale Horse Coming, and a couple of others. Currently on Havana and have The Third Bullet, which is about the JFK assassination, on deck. His novels are fiction and not always historically correct...in one instance his protagonist kills a mafia figure, but in real life the mobster died 30 years later of natural causes. But he makes that clear in the acknowledgements at the end of the book.

That's because he's is a hoplophile himself...as I recall from reading about Hunter years ago, he not only is seriously into precision shooting, but also competed, at least in amateur shooting sports.

Greg

Outstanding!

A Christmas Carol. I read it with my 6th graders. If you think about it, by the end of next week, I will have read it 33 times.

One of my favorites as well...I read Dickens' <i>A Christmas Carol</i> and <i>The Mansion</i> by Henry Van Dyke most years around this time. Usually out loud to any of my grandchildren who are available and willing to listen :).

Greg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's because he's is a hoplophile himself.

Greg

I guess that's better than being a hoplophic. :biggrin1:

I have Rudolph for a Christmas story. I need to read that one again.

dsc_0005-4-jpg.926351

Kindle version is just $1.99, so I bought it. Will jump in this weekend.

It certainly is a unique book and is interesting on many levels. I hope the Kindle version has the photographs but if not they are available online.

Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

Wow, that is an interesting one to come up in a B&B thread. I do not know if I have actually read that one or not. I have been meaning to re-read Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism and Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by
Chögyam Trungpa to see how they have held up. Maybe Zen Mind, Beginners Mind. Maybe some of Pema Chodron's work.

I think I prefer the modern American teachers like Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, and even Dan Harris, over the classic gurus who seemed to attract scandal like honey attracts flies. As I recall, Yogananda might seem awfully miracles, lineage, and secret knowledge for these days. It is hard to get around just how crazy Trungpa was, but the writing might still be useful. Just IMHO though.

That's pretty much my opinion, too. What encouraged me to read it was this article about Steve Jobs. Supposedly it was his favorite book and he reread it every year. Got me curious.

The Last Gift Steve Jobs Gave To Family And Friends Was A Book About Self Realisation

Interesting. I am going to have to pick up this book eventually. I knew Jobs was into meditation. I did not realize he was that into Yogananda. I thought Yogananda emphasized kindness and the "brotherhood" of all people. One does hear about Jobs in those terms.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone gotten through Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise yet? I tried three or four times but it's just too poorly written. His later ones were good.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

I'm still working on Robin Hobb - now maybe 9000 pages in, Dragon Haven (2nd book of the 4th series 'Rain Wilds Chronicles').

I actually got hooked in with the idea of reading the 'Fitz and the Fool Trilogy' but then heeded advice to read the previous 13 books first... Very good read. Together with a little pod vaping device it encouraged me to stay inside and quit smoking too ;)

I'm still working on Robin Hobb - now maybe 9000 pages in, Dragon Haven (2nd book of the 4th series 'Rain Wilds Chronicles').

I actually got hooked in with the idea of reading the 'Fitz and the Fool Trilogy' but then heeded advice to read the previous 13 books first... Very good read. Together with a little pod vaping device it encouraged me to stay inside and quit smoking too ;)
Wow thats alot of pages :eek2:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Recently read a couple of books by Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear.

Now reading:

A boy's war / by Paxton Davis.
Delights and prejudices / by James Beard
The fortune cookie chronicles : adventures in the world of Chinese food / Jennifer 8. Lee.
Savannah seasons : food and stories from Elizabeth on 37th / Elizabeth Terry with Alexis Terry ; foreword by Pat Conroy
The six day war, by Randolph S. Churchill and Winston S. Churchill.
Storied dishes : what our family recipes tell us about who we are and where we've been / Linda Murray Berzok, editor. This kind of war : the classic Korean War history / T.R. Fehrenbach.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Those sound great just by the title alone!

They were fantastic! I usually don't read books in that genre, but I could not put these down. I like to get book recommendations from friends so I check out things I otherwise wouldn't, and that's how I came upon this fantastic author. However, as usual YMMV. :)

They were fantastic! I usually don't read books in that genre, but I could not put these down. I like to get book recommendations from friends so I check out things I otherwise wouldn't, and that's how I came upon this fantastic author. However, as usual YMMV. :)
Excellent.....im generally not a "book" reader...i know sounds strange but i read manuals, blueprints etc all day...not the same thing i know but...lol.

My wife suggested, you know the kind of "suggestions", that i might want to read something else.....these two titles just caught my attention so im going to seek them out.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Excellent.....im generally not a "book" reader...i know sounds strange but i read manuals, blueprints etc all day...not the same thing i know but...lol.

My wife suggested, you know the kind of "suggestions", that i might want to read something else.....these two titles just caught my attention so im going to seek them out.

I also read only technical books for many years, but then just stopped and donated my entire library to a computer lab that teaches technicians.
I was able to get both books from my local library in digital format for my kindle e-reader. They are unbelievable for reading, no eye strain like a computer monitor or tablet. I could read 10 hours straight with my kindle oasis without eye strain. But check your local library if you decide to read them in either format.

Top Bottom