What's new

Reacquainted With Trac II

I travel pretty much every week and the Trac II, Personna carts and a Palmolive shave stick is my travel set up I use about 3 days out of every week. I get some great, comfortable shaves and they are economical to boot.

When I first took up DE shaving a couple of years ago, I was traveling to the same place every week, so I left a second DE kit behind. When that came to an end, I needed a better travel solution than my old Mach 3, so I bought an old aluminum Atra handle (an homage to my first razor as a teenager) and some Personna carts. It was OK, but not great. On a whim, I bought a $7 PII handle from Amazon directly shipped from India and it turned out to be the solution.

Like others, I think the fact that the Trac II does not pivot really helps once you are used to a DE. Also, the angle of a Trac II feels much closer to that of a DE, which is not surprising since the Trac II had to attract DE shavers in its early days.

I am not crazy about the overachieving goo strip on the Personna carts, but after the first shave or so, it's a non issue for me. For the first shave or so, I wipe my face with a damp washcloth between passes to get some of the goo off so I can actually feel the stubble better and don't over shave on the second pass. The Personna carts definitely smooth out after a couple of shaves. I am looking forward to giving the dollar store Dorco carts a try, too.

For me, the Trac II has been a great solution for shaving on the road. It feels so nice to get a comfortable DFS and look forward to shaving when I am away, just like I do at home.

Slim I too use the Dorco carts. The darn things, I have never had a problem at all w/them and I get a great shave out of them. I use both the 6 blade and the 2 blade right now and like them both just fine.
The Dorcos have been my least favorite over the years. Try and track down Wilkinson or Personna and see if you notice a difference. Personna/ASR make most of the generics sold at CVS, Rite Aid etc. I'm working through a bunch of "Meijer" branded carts I purchased on close-out at a different store and they've been great. yes, they have the strip but it's mostly gone after the first shave. I hate the Gillette branded TracII's.. they're harsh and the strip gets very very gooey.

Top Bottom