What's new

Re scaling and Pins

Hi

Finally I have found an old razor that suits me (weight, balance etc) and shaves well

I am restoring it (I am an amateur) but need to remove the scales

question do I simply drill out the pins? Where do I source new ones?

Can I buy scales - where do I source etc?

I have the enthusiasm but do not know where to start

ps I am in the UK

In terms of scales, yes you can buy ready ones - but many people get pen blanks or knife handle blanks that come in various fancy woods and trim them in to shape for a proper custom job.

For pins - from memory you use 1/16 brass rod and #0 washers. But double check that. As Geoffreyt said, srp has some fantastic info on this kind of stuff.

Watch the pen blanks as most are a 5 1/2 max length and that isn't always long enough... Woodcraft and Bell Forest Products are two really good sources of wood....
On the link that Geofferyt provided the is a step by step guide in the stickies I did with pics on how to un-pin and re-pin razors, that might help.....

You can also get thin stock wood from places like woodcraft. I picked up a nice piece of lacewood for 6 bucks today, that should yield about 5 sets of scales. The 1/8 thickness seems to be just about right for me, and cuts out the need for expensive power tools. Sponge all of the great info you can off of this sight as well, there is much available that is extremely helpful. Good luck. :w00t:

Top Bottom