What's new

Silver Scales

I am interested in the opinions of experts on the restoration of razors with silver scales. I know antique collectors do not like any patina to be removed but I prefer my razors to be fully restored and shave ready. I know that somewhere in between there is a "sympathetic restoration" which would make the razor attractive and usable but this would drastically reduce its value as an antique.
Sympathetic covers a wide range of restoration and would be my choice but I would love to hear from other members.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have owned several sterling silver straight razors over the years but having sold all of them over time I’d just chip in to say that in my opinion, do as little or as much as you personally desire. I left the 925 Sterling alone to patina naturally. Scales are toughest because the oil in your hands affects the Sterling but that would be expected. They are going to tarnish over time anyway. Aggressive polishing or restoration wouldn’t be my favorite idea. As a former Auctioneer for decades I will say that the value in any item increases with originality and very gentle repair or restoration if any at all.

Here is a quick snapshot of an Edwardian era travel strip with 925 Sterling handle. As you can see it has been left in as found condition. Of course depending on the carbon or stainless blades of the razor itself I’d just suggest honing and enjoying.
IMG_2138.jpeg

A lot depends on exactly what the razors are, and what your ideal restoration involves, and who does it. Equally important is the perceived value the restoration might add, or remove, from the equation - and who's eyes are doing the perceiving. If the razor in question is actually historically significant and extremely valuable, might be a good idea to call an auction house for advice. If they are typical razors that are just in fancy dress and not going to Christies anytime soon, it might be a different story.

A rusty '32 Coupe found in a Junkyard might hold a certain value for a certain customer but when restored it might hold more value for a different customer.
Yes, a textbook might say that something in it's original condition will always be more valuable, like a Rolex watch with its original dial will be more spendy than one with a new dial.

Me, personally, I buy razors to use, not to collect, not as an investment. I don't like having 100 yr old crud in the house, let alone near my face, so 99.9% of the time I dismantle and clean every razor, regardless of scale material or what others think.
I might not do that to George Washington's razor though.

My thoughts exactly. I have a fair number of razors, most of them given to me by a generous friend who was never going to fix them up. Even the ones that I will never use are restored and shave ready. (I do have one old stub tail that I have left as is.)
My collection is purely for my enjoyment and that does not relate to antique value.

Top Bottom