What's new

Re-pinning question

So I finally got a present that I had asked for - materials to make and pin scales!:001_smile
But that has led to some questions - per the first of my two photos below:
1) In the pinning kit, the wires, wedge pieces and plastic washers make sense. But I was a bit surprised by the metal washers. I had expected these to be basic flat washers, but they are like a step pyramid with 3 levels, each with a different Outer Diameter. How are these meant to be used? Should the smaller face point outwards or inwards? Or is it supposed to smooth out during peening?

2) I know that the plastic washers can go on either side of the tang separating the tang from the inner face of the scales. But from what I’ve seen so far, many razors lack these inner washers. Looking for feedback on whether to use or not.
F10AC79E-D526-406A-9AD6-19EBEEC92BB0.jpeg
E09494B4-C236-4226-A959-5C575EDB41CA.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Usually I use small collars on small razors, the only ones that look OK IMO with stepped collars are the big W&B choppers.

The inside washers are helpful and allow smoother operation of the blade, also keeps the tang away from the scales and in theory allow air circulation.

If you do use the big collars the big side goes on the scale, the smaller outwards.

There has been numerous debates as to use washers inside or not. In my opinion if the razor didnt have it to start with, why add it now. But its your razor so do what you feel is right for you. :thumbsup:

Larry

Legion

Staff member
Use the inner washers since you have them. I can't think of a valid argument not to. I usually don't, but that is because I don't have any floating around.

The stepped washers might be worth saving for if you do a big old razor with horn scales. For regular razors you can order normal 0 washers cheaply and easily.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't use inner washers. I prefer scale on razor, so it doesn't flop around as much. YMMV on that. I also have never used that all-in-one pyramid washer before. I use just a plain washer, or sometimes two, the bottom one a little bigger than the top one. But do it how you feel it.

Thanks for all the responses - since all the razors I am planning to re-scale are relatively small, as are the scales, I think I will get some flat washers separately.

Good choice.

I've used the stacked collars only once (8/8 W&B FBU). They look great on a bigger razor (silly on most 5/8, 6/8, or 7/8).
PXL_20210101_161949483-01.jpeg
But even on that large razor they increased the "thickness" to the point that it no longer fit in the slots in my antique barber box (or the razor coffin).

Good choice.

I've used the stacked collars only once (8/8 W&B FBU). They look great on a bigger razor (silly on most 5/8, 6/8, or 7/8).
View attachment 1205491
But even on that large razor they increased the "thickness" to the point that it no longer fit in the slots in my antique barber box (or the razor coffin).

That does look nice. My first two rescales will be smaller blades. I ordered some #0 washers this morning. But I have a W&B that is 7/8 where it might make sense. The scales on that razor are in good shape but really too heavy for the blade. Total weight is > 90g and the balance is a bit off.

I have a question about re-pinning..
When trying centering a blade that is slightly off on one side, do you have to hammer the pin on the same side or the opposite?
cheers.

Thanks for the picture kind Sir,

but in the specific case of this blade, the scenario looks more like Doc226 is describing and the pins are already in place.

I don't know what results will bring hammering one side or the other in terms of blade centering.

I don't know what results will bring hammering one side or the other in terms of blade centering.

Trust me, it works on many, many razors. As Doc226 said, not so much for razors where there is no "play" in the pivot hole. But almost all vintage razors have the necessary "hole larger than the pin" play at the pivot.

It worked on a blade that had the pins sticking out and bit loose, thanks again for the advice.. but another blade has the pins quite flat and hitting on their side won't work.

Top Bottom