What's new

Razors STILL a loss leader...

And only $8.99 for 10 Gillette DE blades! AND a FREE Fusion handle! :w00t:

They look like the "Made in Russia" blades Blood Bath & Beyond sell.

Gillette's other strategy (phasing out the old and forcing you into the newer) also worked well... it got me right into DE shaving. :thumbsup:

From the site:

"Take The Fusion Challenge!...Once you take the Fusion Challenge, you'll never go back."

Isn't that the truth.:biggrin:

I never jumped on the whole Fusion bandwagon; the Mach 3 is the last cartridge razor I used. So I had no idea what they cost, but the other day I looked at a package of replacement Fusion cartridges: $28 :wacko:. Give me a break. I really don't know why we don't get more people DE shaving with prices like that out there??? I'm sure the $50 seven blade system is already on the drawing board coming to a store near you soon.

I read this article earlier and it shows just how long Gillette have been using shoddy business practices.

TIME magazine Jan 1965

I can't say that Gillette's business methods are shoddy. King Gillette was the pioneer of giving away a product or selling it real cheaply so that money could be made on the refills. It was a strike of brilliance that insured the growth of the company, and it remains a business practice that many other companies follow as well. Printer sales in the U.S. is one example, where the ink refills for the printer can cost more than the printer alone!

I found it interesting in the article that Gillette is again trying out a cartridge that is a continuous ribbon that is wound so that you get a fresh edge. They tried that with the Techmatic and it failed.

I found it interesting in the article that Gillette is again trying out a cartridge that is a continuous ribbon that is wound so that you get a fresh edge. They tried that with the Techmatic and it failed.

The article is from 1965. The razor you refer to that failed is probably the very one this article was talking about; it hadn't been released yet.

The fact that I have a NOS Techmatic I can't even give away is proof enough of its failure.

I should take it to Gillette and demand a refund for being sold a new product and then finding out they don't supply new blades for it. Might even get a free Fusion out of it :lol:

The fact that I have a NOS Techmatic I can't even give away is proof enough of its failure.

I should take it to Gillette and demand a refund for being sold a new product and then finding out they don't supply new blades for it. Might even get a free Fusion out of it :lol:

Yeah,that will be an improvement!

marty

Top Bottom