What's new

Gift from the shaving god.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I was not interested in looking for a birth year razor at first, after all, the time when I was born ink cartridges became the mainstream, and the number of DEs still being produced was very limited.
And I live in Asia. Between World War I and the Vietnam War when vintage DE prevailed, many countries in Asia were in war and poverty, and there were few high-quality items related to wet shaving.
Unexpectedly, I encountered it during a walk on the weekend.

It's a double miracle:
●Miracle 1── I saw a brand new unused Gillette Black Beauty in a cardboard box at the corner of the roadside stand. Even the box was shiny new, and the five blades included were still there.
●Miracle 2── I checked the date code when I got home, and found that it happened to be my birth year razor.

At the beginning, I planned to save money "avoid buying razors" and throw it back into the cardboard box. It was my beautiful bride who kept instigated + the razor was perfectly preserved + I found out that the boss didn't know anything + only 15 dollars... I decided to bring this brings Black Beauty home. (When buying also consider reselling. On the way home, I also joked with my wife, "I hope the razor doesn't happen to be my year of birth".)

The third hidden miracle──The year when Black Beauty changed to a nylon lower base plate happened to be my wife’s birth year.
356407159_6453652571340258_6072244947675449947_n.jpg

Maybe I've spent enough much money on razors, and the shaving gods decided to give me a little reward, although this reward still has to be purchased with my own money.

Congratulations!

2 remarks:
The baseplate on the later Super Adjustables is not nylon.

That case is from a Super Slimtwist, not from a Super Adjustable.

ERS4

Congratulations!

2 remarks:
The baseplate on the later Super Adjustables is not nylon.

That case is from a Super Slimtwist, not from a Super Adjustable.
Thank you very much for your enthusiastically provided information, which has very important reference value.

Yes, I know this is the case of Super Slimtwist, but because I am far away in Asia, the launch time of many products in the 1980s will be months or even years slower than in the United States; plus shipping damage, so the seller mixes the case will be more common, is a regional characteristic. They are still in original sales case.

I'm only know that this razor is 109PD (date code D2), some people think it is nylon lower baseplate, but many people think it is plastic‧ But I think if it is difficult to determine, it can be collectively called resin.
It's a pity that it was not popular to mark the resin material in that era, otherwise we would be sure.

Like this famous article, it seems that it has given up the distinction between nylon or not.↓
Anyway the black lower baseplate was manufactured until 1988.
Super Adjustable Family – Gillette Adjustable Razors - https://gilletteadjustable.com/home/razors/super-adjustable-family/

I was very lucky to be born in a free age, and I am even more fortunate to have met a partner like you who is willing to share knowledge in B&B in the past few years. 😍

Last edited:

ERS4

Congratulations, that's a beautiful razor.
It's embarrassing to say.
Just because this razor is in such perfect condition, I can't bear to let it touch water or foam just yet, maybe after a while or special occasion, I will use it for shaving.

Great story and great razor. Thanks for sharing.
Yes I love this coincidence too.
If there are relatives and friends who are willing to listen to my razor story patiently, the story of this Black Beauty must be more fascinating than the Walfman I have been waiting in line for months.
If I were to pass away years later, the wife would probably keep Black Beauty and drop my Walfman. :em2100:

Thank you very much for your enthusiastically provided information, which has very important reference value.

Yes, I know this is the case of Super Slimtwist, but because I am far away in Asia, the launch time of many products in the 1980s will be months or even years slower than in the United States; plus shipping damage, so the seller mixes the case will be more common, is a regional characteristic. They are still in original sales case.

I'm only know that this razor is 109PD (date code D2), some people think it is nylon lower baseplate, but many people think it is plastic‧ But I think if it is difficult to determine, it can be collectively called resin.
It's a pity that it was not popular to mark the resin material in that era, otherwise we would be sure.

Like this famous article, it seems that it has given up the distinction between nylon or not.↓
Anyway the black lower baseplate was manufactured until 1988.
Super Adjustable Family – Gillette Adjustable Razors - https://gilletteadjustable.com/home/razors/super-adjustable-family/

I was very lucky to be born in a free age, and I am even more fortunate to have met a partner like you who is willing to share knowledge in B&B in the past few years. 😍
This is not a regional characteristic. Sellers all over Europe will sell the old Gillette razors with wrong cases. This way they will profit more. Also quite often you will see with 3 piece Gillettes the handle is not the proper one, or the bottom plate or the cap. They are from Gillettes, but other models.

Do you intend to use the razor? I will recommend using it.

ERS4

This is not a regional characteristic. Sellers all over Europe will sell the old Gillette razors with wrong cases. This way they will profit more. Also quite often you will see with 3 piece Gillettes the handle is not the proper one, or the bottom plate or the cap. They are from Gillettes, but other models.

Do you intend to use the razor? I will recommend using it.
Yes, there are all over Europe, but it happens more frequently in Asia, and even brands and importers will directly change the original packaging in Asia, or ask local factories to make packaging.

Until now, for example, TATARA's official agent in Taiwan does not provide the outer black thin paper, because the paper is too easy to break.
I think it's a pity because it has the traditional image of "Furoshiki".

One day I will enjoy intimacy with Black Beauty, this month is exclusive time for Olaf Rasmussen Psycho.

I was not interested in looking for a birth year razor at first, after all, the time when I was born ink cartridges became the mainstream, and the number of DEs still being produced was very limited.
And I live in Asia. Between World War I and the Vietnam War when vintage DE prevailed, many countries in Asia were in war and poverty, and there were few high-quality items related to wet shaving.
Unexpectedly, I encountered it during a walk on the weekend.

It's a double miracle:
●Miracle 1── I saw a brand new unused Gillette Black Beauty in a cardboard box at the corner of the roadside stand. Even the box was shiny new, and the five blades included were still there.
●Miracle 2── I checked the date code when I got home, and found that it happened to be my birth year razor.

At the beginning, I planned to save money "avoid buying razors" and throw it back into the cardboard box. It was my beautiful bride who kept instigated + the razor was perfectly preserved + I found out that the boss didn't know anything + only 15 dollars... I decided to bring this brings Black Beauty home. (When buying also consider reselling. On the way home, I also joked with my wife, "I hope the razor doesn't happen to be my year of birth".)

The third hidden miracle──The year when Black Beauty changed to a nylon lower base plate happened to be my wife’s birth year.
View attachment 1679351
Maybe I've spent enough much money on razors, and the shaving gods decided to give me a little reward, although this reward still has to be purchased with my own money.
Theres no such thing as too much money spent on razors, i own 14 Fatboys, 5 slims, 1 Super 109 and a rex ambassador and those are juat my adjustables

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

ERS4

Theres no such thing as too much money spent on razors, i own 14 Fatboys, 5 slims, 1 Super 109 and a rex ambassador and those are juat my adjustables
I believe that the shaving god must have given you more lucky gift.
IHe/She must not care about the high price like gold, but our proven love for shaving.

I usually try to avoid duplication of collections as I have limited display space; I like the razors to be on display like art, and once they're in a drawer I feel like I'm piling up.

But there are a few razors that I can't resist buying in multiples, such as the "Travalong" and "Bigelow parkin", because I'm a fan of weird designs.

Last edited:
I have a Black Beauty that looks very much like the one you have. I bought it used about 8 or 10 years ago. I seldom use it though. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I have learned that I prefer cartridge razors.

When much younger I bought one new and used it for several years. I liked it better than the Fat Boy I had before it. I bought the current one when I read about so many here that preferred DE shaving and decided to give it another chance. These days I will grab a DE razor occasionally for nostalgia and of the ones I have the Black Beauty is what I prefer.

None of my shaving equipment is just for display. I use it all. Many soaps including new old stock Old Spice, different cartridge razors, and many different brushes, many of which I made myself. To me, the thrill is in the use, not in displaying it for my eyes only.

There are not many collectors that have razors that are unused so there isn't much of a premium in value for an unused one. A well cared for one that has been proven holds nearly the same value.

I would encourage you to use it and enjoy it.

ERS4

I have a Black Beauty that looks very much like the one you have. I bought it used about 8 or 10 years ago. I seldom use it though. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I have learned that I prefer cartridge razors.

When much younger I bought one new and used it for several years. I liked it better than the Fat Boy I had before it. I bought the current one when I read about so many here that preferred DE shaving and decided to give it another chance. These days I will grab a DE razor occasionally for nostalgia and of the ones I have the Black Beauty is what I prefer.

None of my shaving equipment is just for display. I use it all. Many soaps including new old stock Old Spice, different cartridge razors, and many different brushes, many of which I made myself. To me, the thrill is in the use, not in displaying it for my eyes only.

There are not many collectors that have razors that are unused so there isn't much of a premium in value for an unused one. A well cared for one that has been proven holds nearly the same value.

I would encourage you to use it and enjoy it.

Very happy to meet friend willing to create by hand.
I also like crafting and have tried making a DE razor out of leather.
img_1_1688284276656.jpg

The aforementioned "I like the razors to be on display like art" is purely my storage method during the rotation process, and it does not mean that I do not use those razors.

I always rotate all my razors, no matter what the value, so I will definitely use the Black Beauty one, just wish I had a little more time admiring its black handle.
Fortunately, it has similar performance to the slim I have kept in rotation, but the gap is one scale away, so I am not in a hurry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom