What's new

Razorock Vs. The Best of the Best?

Can someone who's used both Razorock (current generation tallow base) and B&M, WK, A&E, DG, PAA, etc. tell me how Razorock compares to the current "state of art" in shaving soaps? I want to try a few of their scents as long as the performance is there. If the current state of art brands are a 9-10 on a 1-10 scale, where is Razorock on this scale in your opinion in lather, scent, protection/glide and after-shave feel?

I haven't sampled enough variety to make an educated comparison, but I do have a tub of Razorock XXX. I find that it performs well, lathers easily, and I get a comfortable shave with the product. As far as scent, XXX is a very clean, barbershop style scent. Given the price of the product, it's certainly worth a look.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
RazoRock soaps are affordable enough for you to try a few tubs, pucks, or sticks without incurring much cost. As for how good they are ... Everything in this area is very much a YMMV. What works for some, might not work for you and vice versa.

I haven't used any of the soaps you've listed as a direct comparison (hopefully someone will) but I have used RR xXx (regular and Fresco), Lime, and Classic Italian and they perform very well.

Just for perspective, I've used MdC, PdP, Proraso, Stirling, Speick, Latoja, TOBS, Arko, Old Spice, Tabac, Clubman, Cella, Dr Selby, Col Conk, Williams...off the top of my head...and xXx remains a favorite of mine.

Razorock soaps are pretty damn cost effective. I use to watch for sales.. Now I just buy what I want ( $ permitting). I am not a 70 dollar a container guy..
I had bunch, I am running them down. Both tallow and vegan.
But everyone will have a personal experience and view on the RR soaps.
You really need to pick a few and try them. Now I make sure I put a sealed plastic bag on all my soap containers , some can dry out pretty quick.
Now I would suggest hitting Italian Barber and Pasteur Shaving and buying 2 or 4 to compare. Like 2 RR and 2 others...
You can also the the sample thing on most soaps out there.
Performance wise, I would say most fit in the middle + of the road. I can not give you number across the board. Lots of offerings, scents, ingredients ...
Now I have found better offering for me and I have tired most of there (RR) offering. Plus and more so...I am pretty much RR soaped out.
Ex-Favs : RR Artisan One X, Profession P.160 and Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barb / Firenze .....YMMV
Great again for the price thou..quality is there also.
But again, it will ultimately be your opinion and experience that truly matters.
On the flip side... RazoRock XXX Artisan Shaving Soap Review - A Superior Shave - https://www.asuperiorshave.com/soaps-creams-and-brushes/razorock-xxx-artisan-shaving-soap-review/
Here is a good thread Which RazoRock soap do you like/use - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/which-razorock-soap-do-you-like-use.500530/
BFX

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Different beards, skin, noses (scent preference), experience and possible dollar limit preferences equals different soap choices.

I believe that generally the difference between a $10 soap and a $25 soap is really very small, at least in terms of percentage of improvement in quality. Many are happy to pay the premium for that increase in quality and some think that's ridiculous. It's all good - buy what you like.

It's been over ten years since I've used RR, but I remember it as a fine soap. I think the only way you can find out if you perceive the increase in quality - and think the difference is worth the increase in price - can only be done through your own personal experience.

For me MdC is cheaper in use than many of the soaps you listed, but expensive at the time of purchase (I get over 13 months of daily 3 pass shaves from one MdC jar). I suggest you go crazy - buy one puck of more expensive soap and see what you think.

While I've not tried a vast number of Joe's Razorock soaps, the few that I've had all performed well.
Most (not all) were tallow-based; scents were nice; shaved well.
Perhaps not the most luxurious of shave soaps, but, for the price, certainly good quality and worthwhile!
And his (Italian Barber) shipping/customer service is top-notch!
Would fully recommend!

RR soaps.jpg

Can someone who's used both Razorock (current generation tallow base) and B&M, WK, A&E, DG, PAA, etc. tell me how Razorock compares to the current "state of art" in shaving soaps? I want to try a few of their scents as long as the performance is there. If the current state of art brands are a 9-10 on a 1-10 scale, where is Razorock on this scale in your opinion in lather, scent, protection/glide and after-shave feel?

Razorock soaps are a good value. I would call them average and rate them a 6.

I want to try a few of their scents as long as the performance is there.
The performance is very good, but if you're looking for scents look elsewhere. I've got four of their softer soaps and only one, Puros, has a good scent strength. The other three are so weak that I can smell the base used over the scents. The four hard pucks I've tried have all had nice scent and strength with me being rather fond of the Black label. The aftershaves I've tried are strong and long lasting though.

Although quite good the RR offerings I've used are not as good as the top makers like B&M, but when on sale are a fraction of the cost. They have earned a solid place in my rotation.

Some great commentary regarding RR soaps! Have used them in the past myself, but it has been some time ago and can't really recall. But your dealing with a guy that is of an age where I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :001_smile

But what I do recall is for the price, you certainly can't go wrong!

@SalS, if you're referring to modern creams having witches brews of chemicals then, yes, I'm sure those modern chemicals provide superior performance. It's like having an old classic bike versus riding a modern sportbike. I like the "old school" real ingredients. In fact, I like real ingredients in contact with my body (especially food), period

@SalS, if you're referring to modern creams having witches brews of chemicals then, yes, I'm sure those modern chemicals provide superior performance. It's like having an old classic bike versus riding a modern sportbike. I like the "old school" real ingredients. In fact, I like real ingredients in contact with my body (especially food), period
Your astute comment on chemicals is the main reason I only have two creams anymore.

About the only differences I find between RR soaps and the Best-of-the-Best is the post shave skin care, if one even cares about that. Any quality post-shave products can easily boost the end results to equal that of the BotB.

RR doesn't sell anything of poor or low grade quality IMHO. My take is, there is nothing in wet shaving that competes with RR on quality at price point. They sell premium shave soap in 5oz tubs for $10, which is unheard of. Buy all of their soaps if you like. My only critique on their soaps would be longevity and strength of scent. It's typically a little lower than the premium artisan soaps, but sometimes you want that.

If someone asked me for only one website to buy products for all their shaving needs my answer is www.italianbarber.com .

I'd like some recommendations from other members on the RazoRock soaps.

I use Cella and have done so almost exclusively for over a dozen years. I'm not really looking for a "change," as Cella is quite to my liking. That said, I'm thinking it would be fun to have a hard soap experience in the mix.

Assuming the RR soaps yield similar results (and correct me if that is a mistaken assumption), and differences come down to fragrance, then my preference is for mild and "natural" feeling ones.

Things like menthol-eucalyptus or strong peppermint, or strong cologne smells (which are popular with many) are not for me.

The pleasant (but understated) almond/cherry fragrance works for me. I could see using/enjoying a mild citrus scented soap (lemon or perhaps bitter orange, but not a strong lime), or something herbal, or other simple and mild scent. I could live with unscented, and would choose unscented over a fragrance-bomb anytime. But I do enjoy the mild scent of Cella.

Are there any of the RR soaps that seem like a natural fit for my preferences?

Or ones to avoid?

What about the XXX soap? Is it very intense, or pleasantly mild?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

XXX is pretty mild and has a good, fresh scent. It is a croap, like Cella, so that would be familiar. That's a good option to try. Some of their other soaps are less blended, more like artisan soaps, and some are hard, triple-milled pucks.

XXX is pretty mild and has a good, fresh scent. It is a croap, like Cella, so that would be familiar. That's a good option to try. Some of their other soaps are less blended, more like artisan soaps, and some are hard, triple-milled pucks.

Thank you.

I did not realize that XXX was a croap, which doesn't "disqualify" my trying it, but for a "veteran" wet-shaver I'm feeling like I'm almost devoid of experience using hard/triple-milled soaps, and a part of me that things it is time try something very "different" if only to enjoy the "novelty."

Lack of hard soap experience is the big hole in my shaving adventure thus far.

Bill

Top Bottom