What's new

Razorock Old Type Open Comb Razor Review

I'm looking at a Gillette old type right now, how does this compare to the NEW short and long comb?

I love both of the NEW Gillette open comb.
I just got the long comb which I thought I already had but realized the one I had before had thinner combs which felt more aggressive, when I tried the long comb I just got it was much smoother.
This one had the bar handle, the other one had the ball end handle with the thinner comb. I wonder which one with the thinner comb with the ball end handle was, are there two kinds of long comb NEW?

Last edited:
Don't get discouraged.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll just look at this as a chance to try to improve on my touch. I have started with a Gillette green (stainless steel) blade, which I've found to be a relatively forgiving blade. I might even try a derby, if I still have one lying around in one of the sample packs that I got a while back.

I was going to try again this weekend, but I just received a new rockwell 6c, and I couldn't resist trying it out. That gave me a very nice comfortable shave. On plate 3, I found it just a little more aggressive than the Merkur 34c, but not quite as aggressive as the RR Old Type (using a Perma-sharp blade, which is another one that I've found to be very forgiving).

My son often goes days or weeks without shaving. When he got around to it he'd use a two-blade disposable.
I bought him a RR OLD Type and he finds it much easier to shave with because it sails right through the long whiskers on the first pass, and yet rinses so easily.
I got one for myself too, but spent a few bucks more for the SS Barber Pole handle (which, sadly, is no longer available).

The RR old type head paired with the SS barber pole handle is a such a well balanced and smooth shaver @John Rose! It is a shame to hear that the SS handles are no longer being produced. Maybe they will be again at some point?

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll just look at this as a chance to try to improve on my touch. I have started with a Gillette green (stainless steel) blade, which I've found to be a relatively forgiving blade. I might even try a derby, if I still have one lying around in one of the sample packs that I got a while back.

I was going to try again this weekend, but I just received a new rockwell 6c, and I couldn't resist trying it out. That gave me a very nice comfortable shave. On plate 3, I found it just a little more aggressive than the Merkur 34c, but not quite as aggressive as the RR Old Type (using a Perma-sharp blade, which is another one that I've found to be very forgiving).
The Perma-sharp super is a great blade for me in the RR old type!

The RR old type head paired with the SS barber pole handle is a such a well balanced and smooth shaver @John Rose! It is a shame to hear that the SS handles are no longer being produced. Maybe they will be again at some point?
One can only hope.
I bought the SS Barber Pole handle because of the vintage-ish appearance and low price. Something like $16 Canadian, IIRC.
If it was hollow like a Gillette Fat Handle it would be much lighter, which would suit me even better.
Fat Handle (only) = 23 g, RR SS Barber Pole handle = 70 g.
40-50 g would be nice.

My son often goes days or weeks without shaving. When he got around to it he'd use a two-blade disposable.
I bought him a RR OLD Type and he finds it much easier to shave with because it sails right through the long whiskers on the first pass, and yet rinses so easily.
I got one for myself too, but spent a few bucks more for the SS Barber Pole handle (which, sadly, is no longer available).

I too have the RR Barberpole handle but I mostly use it with a Muhle R41 head. I pair my RR Old Type head with My Ikon Bulldog handle and love it. And I love the Ikon handle even more with a vintage Gillette Old Type head on it. The perfect pairing of old and new.

Fat Handle (only) = 23 g, RR SS Barber Pole handle = 70 g.
40-50 g would be nice.

I too have the RR Barberpole handle but I mostly use it with a Muhle R41 head. I pair my RR Old Type head with My Ikon Bulldog handle and love it. And I love the Ikon handle even more with a vintage Gillette Old Type head on it. The perfect pairing of old and new.

Another excellent option for either the RR or original Old Type heads is the RR Titanium handle, which weighs only 44.7 grams. With the original Old Type head and blade, the total weight is only 70 grams.

Another excellent option for either the RR or original Old Type heads is the RR Titanium handle, which weighs only 44.7 grams. With the original Old Type head and blade, the total weight is only 70 grams.

Hmmmm. I kind of like extra weight in my razors. I guess that’s why I like the Ikon Bulldog handle. It’s got some heft to it. And the RR Barberpole is also nice and heavy. Those two are my favorite handles of the ones I have.

Hmmmm. I kind of like extra weight in my razors. I guess that’s why I like the Ikon Bulldog handle. It’s got some heft to it. And the RR Barberpole is also nice and heavy. Those two are my favorite handles of the ones I have.
For me it depends on how aggressive the razor is. For a more aggressive razor, I like the extra weight to keep the stoke straight and smooth. With more blade exposure, a sloppy twist or turn can cause a deep cut. My somewhat aggressive Fendrihan steel razor weighs nearly 4 ounces, or 112 grams, iirc. That's about as heavy as I need. For me, the RR Old Type is mild, the original Old Type somewhere in between, and I don't need a heavy handle, especially for the RR.

I used my Schone the other day and was a little disappointed. The shave just wasn't all that close after my standard 3 pass plus touch up. In fact, later that same day I was rubbing my face and was horrified at how much stubble I could feel. And I hadn't shaved until late morning. And I used a brand new Polsilver SI which usually gives me a super close shave with any razor. Then today I used the same blade in my birth year/quarter razor, Gillette Slim Adjustable, on 6 and as I rub my face right now it's still smooth as all get out. I'll be giving my Schone a few more chances but if my shaves end up like the last one, it will be removed from my current rotation and replaced with something else. Not sure what but I'm sure I can find something suitable.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I used my Schone the other day and was a little disappointed. The shave just wasn't all that close after my standard 3 pass plus touch up. In fact, later that same day I was rubbing my face and was horrified at how much stubble I could feel. And I hadn't shaved until late morning. And I used a brand new Polsilver SI which usually gives me a super close shave with any razor. Then today I used the same blade in my birth year/quarter razor, Gillette Slim Adjustable, on 6 and as I rub my face right now it's still smooth as all get out. I'll be giving my Schone a few more chances but if my shaves end up like the last one, it will be removed from my current rotation and replaced with something else. Not sure what but I'm sure I can find something suitable.
If your are looking for a possible replacement and like the old type OC Gillette or Razorocks similar version you more than likely will like the new Razorock SLOC and on a aggressive scale around 4.7-5.3/10 depending on the blade. I put that sucker through different tests and it shines as the best daily driver I have. It will take a Feather blade and make it feel mild and smooth and how it does this is in its design no doubt.
Razorock SLOC - First Impressions

Last edited:
If your are looking for a possible replacement and like the old type OC Gillette or Razorocks similar version you more than likely will like the new Razorock SLOC and on a aggressive scale around 4.7-5.3/10 depending on the blade. I put that sucker through different tests and it shines as the best daily driver I have. It will take a Feather blade and make it feel mild and smooth and how it does this is in its design no doubt.
Razorock SLOC - First Impressions

I'm actually waiting for Razorock to make an open comb with a stainless steel head to go with the SS handle. They did a solid bar SS head with the Game Changer so its only fair that they follow suit with an open comb SS. If they do that, I'm a buyer.

I'm actually waiting for Razorock to make an open comb with a stainless steel head to go with the SS handle. They did a solid bar SS head with the Game Changer so its only fair that they follow suit with an open comb SS. If they do that, I'm a buyer.

+1 on that, I would like one as well. An SS OC with the radio knob handle would be great.

I like my RR Radio Knob handle as well as those you list. It is heavy enough and has a different look about it that many, I guess, don't care for. Being an ex radio repair guy, I find it interesting as well as thought provoking!

I enjoyed reading this thread again. RazoRock has made numerous new SS razors including open combs and I really do like them! I also have the RR Old Type and it works very well. I must confess however, I have not used my Radio Knob handle in a very long time. It is a nice looking handle for sure.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I like my old type. It’s just a touch more efficient than the Merkur 15C and has a little better blade alignment.

Reactions: Kix
I enjoyed reading this thread again. RazoRock has made numerous new SS razors including open combs and I really do like them! I also have the RR Old Type and it works very well. I must confess however, I have not used my Radio Knob handle in a very long time. It is a nice looking handle for sure.
Ditto! I remember this thread, and that trip I referred to in one of my posts to a small boutique hotel, newly-converted from a very old apartment building, with a very small bathroom. This was one of the last times I ever used my cartridge razor. I stand by everything I wrote here years ago. The RR Old Type is very good, though much milder than the original Old Type.

Reactions: Kix
I've been curious about the RR Old Type for quite a while, especially lately. I bought both the Vintage Thickbar and Thinbar handles from RR at the very end of 2023 because they were on sale, and meant to buy the Old Type head as well, but for some reason or another, I didn't (Kind of kicking myself now). Yeah, I really need to try a RR Old Type head with either the Bulldog or HD handle.

One of these days I'll try my Grandfather's mystery Gillette (thread coming soon).

Last edited:
Top Bottom