What's new

Razorine Flatboy 72

But there’s an indentation at the center of the baseplate, and the bolt on the top plate is unusually short. So, if the top of the handle is too wide to fit in the indentation, attaching the handle securely might be a problem.

But there’s an indentation at the center of the baseplate, and the bolt on the top plate is unusually short. So, if the top of the handle is too wide to fit in the indentation, attaching the handle securely might be a problem.
Indeed. I have a washer installed as well (fits exactly in the indentation) which of course makes the threading even shorter. OEM handle still work well and any handle that has threading all the way up the neck so to speak, so a traditional Gillette handle with the fluted neck is usually a no go. One of the better handles that fit well at the Greencult handles (both 1 and 2) as well as the KCG handle.

Guido

I ordered it today and I already regret it.If you see all the photos with blade in it you'll see that it curves in the center where the razor tightens and the blade is not straight.I don't think it is made in purpose!!!!

I ordered it today and I already regret it.If you see all the photos with blade in it you'll see that it curves in the center where the razor tightens and the blade is not straight.I don't think it is made in purpose!!!!
Just try it instead of thinking about it too much in advance. It definitely has quirks, but you may find, as I did, that the shaves themselves are enjoyable, and the results are excellent, so long as the head-to-surface angle is neutral-to-steep (45 degrees or more).

Don't regret it. It's fantastic! I had doubts too and got mine a couple days ago. It's really really good!
And mine has zero blade issues. drops in straight as an arrow!
And I'm comparing this to top tier razors that I have. I love it!

full

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This can easily be prevented by not screwing the handle on too tightly. The handle's a bit "meh" but you needn't worry, she's an excellent shaver!
@bill64 I do always screw my handles tight as ***, but that blade frown kinda ruined the razor for me, that's not my idea how a blade should be clamped.

The blade "frown" seems wrong to me also. The rounded head corners can also make blade changing a bit slicey. I recommend using a towel.

The blade "frown" seems wrong to me also. The rounded head corners can also make blade changing a bit slicey. I recommend using a towel.
Could it be intentionally designed that way?
The Seygus Zeppelin is a razor that is designed with the frown (the whole head curves) and it's supposed to be an excellent razor. I honestly don't see any issues with that on my Flatboy.
Here is the Seygus:

ti-Zeppelin-003_40ec240a-e036-4573-8d72-b8526d813518__87387__03725.jpg

The Seygus Zeppelin is a razor that is designed with the frown (the whole head curves) and it's supposed to be an excellent razor. I honestly don't see any issues with that on my Flatboy.
Interesting. You're probably right about that...

I like my brass 75 (spiral handle) so much that I just ordered the brass 73 (knurled handle!)
The full brass ones are hard to get a hold of in the US so I figured I'd get both before they disappear.
For anyone interested, Your Shaving in Spain has this one left in stock. The Spiral handle ones are out of stock (I got the last one). They're $47 shipped! This is the only place I've found that has them that will ship to the USA. The only other ones available in the US are the ones with the stainless handles.

full

Last edited:
Read through this thread and decided to pull out my Flatboy. Haven’t used it in a long time. Forgot how loud that sucker is while shaving. My blade lines up perfectly and has no frown or smiley face shape.

The shave was just so so. Not bad but not great. Reminded me why I haven’t used it in a while.

Read through this thread and decided to pull out my Flatboy. Haven’t used it in a long time. Forgot how loud that sucker is while shaving. My blade lines up perfectly and has no frown or smiley face shape.

The shave was just so so. Not bad but not great. Reminded me why I haven’t used it in a while.
Amazing how that works, LOL!!
I've used it twice so far and the shaves were fantastic. Smooth and crazy efficient while not feeling aggressive to me at all. You're a steep shaver though. I shave shallow and it seems to work well that way. I always try multiple angles when trying a new razor and steep was rough on this one (at least for me).

Amazing how that works, LOL!!
I've used it twice so far and the shaves were fantastic. Smooth and crazy efficient while not feeling aggressive to me at all. You're a steep shaver though. I shave shallow and it seems to work well that way. I always try multiple angles when trying a new razor and steep was rough on this one (at least for me).
Yeah I do prefer using a steeper angle and like razors that allow for that, but do try to use whatever angle works well for the razor. The Flatboy did seem to like a shallow to neutral angle which I have to work at to keep. It’s definitely not a bad razor for the money just doesn’t hit all my buttons.

Glad it’s working well for you…I do like the way it looks.

That has to do with overtightening the handle to the head. Usually with just a small twist back this is solved and the razor will tell you that too, because you will hear the blade click back. And even with that the angle you shave with and the blade you use is far more important than a smiling blade.

The Flatboy itself can give excellent shaves. For me as I said it depends on the blade I am using. And judging by the results this morning I somehow forgot that steep shaving gives a better shave. But other than that just a great razor.

Give it time, no pressure and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Guido

Here is the Seygus:

View attachment 1699511
Wondering if there is something about intentional blade curving (frown/smile) as my later made Homelike start has a slight even curve to the top cap that my earlier 304 start cap doesn't have and is level. When asking Homelike shaving they responded as it is a design feature.
IMG_20230604_203223~2.jpg

Top Bottom