What's new

Razor Talk: Lets meet Esox

Hey friends, let's take a moment to learn about a great member of Badger and Blade, @Esox .

A fan of the Fatip, he agreed to answer my questions. Here's what he has to say:

Please state your first name for the record. Or give us an alias, if you prefer.
Mike.

What part of the world are you currently located in?
London Ontario Canada

What led you to B&B?
Rabidus! Its all his fault! lol

How long have you been using a DE/SE razor?
What was your first razor? Do you still have it/ use it?

I learned to shave with my fathers Brit Rocket in 1981 or 82 I cant remember. I came back to DE shaving in April of this year, when I learned of the wide availability of the many different DE blade types. I only recently gave that razor to my 34 year old nephew as it was him that told me of the many blades available because of an EJ type clone DE razor set he got as a Christmas gift. As I learned about rigidity from rabidus and this forum, my experience grew and so did my razor collection in my search the right razor for me. As my nephew was having issues in using his EJ type clone, especially ATG, when I understood the concept I gave my fathers razor to him so that he could learn and understand the differences and why those differences matter.

What is your “dream” razor?
I believe I own it. A Fatip Grande. Or possibly a Joris Brass, Gold and Palladium.

Do you have a collection of razors, or just 1 or 2 (let’s say “under 5”)?
I won’t be so bold as to ask for a specific number, but does your collection extend into double digits? Triple?

My collection consists of 6 DE razors and two SE razors.
T1 Lady Gillette
D2 Gillette Flare Tip SS
D2 Gillette Tech
Gillette Regent Tech (1940)
Gillette NEW SC
Fatip Grande, gold.
GEM Bullet Tip
GEM MMOC

Do you have a “special occasion” razor, such as one that you only use for a birthday, anniversary, or as a remembrance of a loved one?
No, but I often think of my father when using a DE razor in general.

What’s your favorite razor? What’s your favorite blade to use with it?
Fatip Grande, Gillette Yellow.

Do you have a razor or blade that you won’t ever touch again?
Razor no. Blade yes. Shark Super Chrome and Bic Chrome Platinum. Both gave me a deep burning itch I believe from the Chrome plating.

Do you have an “heirloom” razor, either one that was passed down to you, or one that you plan on passing down to somebody (or both)?
Not any longer. Its been passed to the third generation and is still in use.

Tell me about your most horrible shaving experience.
First use of the GEM Bullet Tip and a carbon blade. Tuggy, painful, face covered with irritation, bleeding. It really couldnt get much worse although my first shave with a GSB in my Fatip came close!

What is your best shaving experience?
Fatip Grande, Gillette Yellow, Captain's Choice cream. Nirvana.

Does your spouse/loved one/etc. share in your interest with the traditional wet shaving goodies?
A lady friend has taken possession of a few of my Stirling soap samples.

Double edge or single: Double, but that may change.

Modern or vintage: Either, leaning towards vintage.

Thanks so much for participating, @Esox !

What led you to B&B?
Rabidus! Its all his fault! lol

1510078936513_image.jpg

That guy needs to find a better role model!

Nice interview! :thumbsup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's cool that your father's razor is still in the family, and working for the the 3rd generation!

The British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket is a very good razor and still in my top 3 virtually equal to my NEW SC.

How did the interview fail to inquire about your BOSCness?

Perhaps I've been around for long enough and posting so much thats implied at this point haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket is a very good razor and still in my top 3 virtually equal to my NEW SC.

Perhaps I've been around for long enough and posting so much thats implied at this point haha.

Well, there is that. Good point. Still, you are exceptionally BOSC. So...

Here's another "interview question," one which should have been asked:

What is it about shaving and shaving related subjects that causes you to be so interested and involved - devoting so much of your time and energy - in the Badger and Blade forum?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Mike I'm sure you are having fun on B&B and its interesting how far you and others can be almost scientific about your research( can be very entertaining)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What is it about shaving and shaving related subjects that causes you to be so interested and involved - devoting so much of your time and energy - in the Badger and Blade forum?

That is a good question and it's not an easy one to answer.

When I first found out such a wide variety of DE blades were available, I started watching NickShaves blade reviews and my interest in blades grew quickly. Using a few in my fathers British Rocket gave me very good shaves, better than I'd had for many years.

The quest for the perfect shave emerged and I started reading and understanding the differences in DE razors.

I discovered the posts by rabidus and saw how often he claimed rigidity made such a difference in shaving. I was in a way prompted to joining the forum because I had been reading all I could find but my understanding of the concept of rigid designs was lacking. I needed more information to better understand. I joined this forum, literally, so I could see the pictures to help me understand more fully.

Once I did finally understand the concept, I PM'd him and said "I get it!". Then I started putting it into practice and found my Brit Rocket gave me a smoother more comfortable shave than my NEW LC, which I really liked but struggled with it on certain areas, especially the swirl growth patterns on my neck, and found a rigid design dealt with that difficulty very easily.

He was generous enough to send me a NEW SC, a post war Tech and a GEM Bullet Tip, and my understanding grew again.

From there its been a steady progression to seeking a more efficient shave because with most razors my skin cant handle to many passes or my irritation grows quickly.

It was easy to see how passionate some members were and are about certain things. "The best razor ever made!" quickly comes to mind along with the member who said it so often it could become annoying lol, but he may have been right. I dont know because I still dont have a Gillette OLD type, but most of you know who I'm talking about lol. I've always listened and paid attention to those wiser than myself and there are many of them on this forum.

Without this forum and its members I very well could be still struggling with razors and painful ineffective shaves. I am in no way struggling with any aspect of my shaves at this point and it only gets better and easier to accomplish the shave I want as my experience grows. I never would have guessed there was so much involved in just shaving and if someone would have suggested that a year ago I would have laughed!

My idea of a "One ('lathering' @Cal :001_tongu) Pass Wonder Shave" grows from the idea of efficient razors and luckily, I'm able to do that quite easily with my Fatip Grande. Why I seek that is more personal, complex and a bit BOSC lol.

I have an appreciation for a job well done and in everything I do I try and do the best I can. When I was a shooter accuracy was always my 'thing'. "Only accurate rifles are interesting" Jeff Cooper said, and to me he's right. A rifle is a tool, no different than a razor. Both are tools meant and designed to accomplish their specific job. In relation to razors, efficient and comfortable razors have become my 'thing'. I want the best tool for the job and the one that does the job for me as easily, reliably and as accurately as it can.

I'm quickly approaching the point where I believe DE razors will not be able to give me a better shave and perhaps a better shave isnt even in the cards, I dont know. I have two SE's I still need to learn.

I do know however what works for me and it works very very well. If I can help others in their search for a better shave I will do as much as I can in any way I can because others have helped me get to the point I'm at.

I've had several PM's from members on this forum asking my advice and for clarity so that they can also understand. I feel it my responsibility, my duty even, to help as much as I can. I owe it to this forum and its members, old new and GBNF!

Internet forums give one the opportunity to explore a vast amount of information and knowledge. This forum in particular is known among many other forums of similar subject matter as The Forum for information of a technical nature. In my experience thats a fact, by a rather large margin. I just want to do my part to get the relevant information out there for the wide audience this forum has in the hope that it can help others as much as it helped me.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's cool that your father's razor is still in the family, and working for the the 3rd generation!

If only we could live another 100 years or more and see how long some of those old Gillette Razors will actually last before they wear out. It will take many more than three generations I think, barring abuse.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike I'm sure you are having fun on B&B and its interesting how far you and others can be almost scientific about your research( can be very entertaining)

I do have fun! More than I ever imagined, and again, that goes to the membership.

Quite often theres a mind boggling amount of information to digest and I for one enjoy making jokes and having a laugh. If I didnt, my head may explode like the guy from the movie Scanners! lol

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The quest for the perfect shave emerged and I started reading and understanding the differences in DE razors.

I'm quickly approaching the point where I believe DE razors will not be able to give me a better shave and perhaps a better shave isnt even in the cards, I dont know. I have two SE's I still need to learn.

Old school DE's can be frustrating. Over time I now get consistently the best shaves of my life with the occasional not so good one. I for one am blown away most of the time that a little razor can give me such satisfaction. Perfection? It's a most worthy pursuit, but I feel the fun is all in the journey. Is it attainable? Not sure? I do know that Native American potters who create what I think is perfection of design and form consciously put a flaw in their work so as it is not too perfect. I don't know exactly why and have heard different things. I do know it has to do with ego. Something like, only creator is perfect. Which I immediately think that nature is imperfect, and it is the imperfections in nature that are the catalyst for change of this becoming that? At any rate it is to humble themselves for what that's worth. The one thing I do know is that I absolutely love my little DE's, which was something I never would have considered back in my cartridge days when it was simply a chore. Happy hunting Mike! We're all pulling for you, and look forward to the NPR interview. :laugh:
BOSC R US.png

Top Bottom