What's new

Razor Identification help needed.

Picked up a blade on a popular auction site, and its a bit different than others of a similar brand.

Tang is simply marked "Wostenholm & Sons" with an "SFR inside a hexagon" trademark. No "Geo" or "J" that would signify anything more significant for a distinct maker, either George or Joseph. Also no "Sheffield or England" on the blade, in fact, no country of origin at all....

Blade is about a 7/8, very hollow ground blade with double shoulder. No other distinguishing marks. Ill try to get some pics up soon, but will most likely be in the morning sometime.

Anyone seen one similar?

Ok, I found this on another board, but nothing really significant. Blade is very similar, except mine has a double shoulder. Mark is identical to mine....

http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/94606-wostenholm-sons-sfr.html

Last edited:
ok, here are a few pics of the razor in question.

As can be seen, its either a full hollow, or darn close to it. Not something that I would consider Pre-1891 for sure, most likely 1900 to 1920's?

My research showed a bit of an interesting item last night though. Seems that the J. Wostenholm name and trademarks was purchased by Adolph Kastor following the liquidation of the firm, arpund 1904. Not too interesting, until you find that George Wostenholm (the company by this time) sued "certain persons" around 1906 for a usage of the Wostenholm name.
(http://strazors.com/index.php?id=151&doc=joseph_wostenholm_and_sons_sheffield_)

Possibly this could be one of the razors that incited this legal action? the grind of the blade seems correct for this era, along with the use of celluloid scales.

Last edited:
I would guess SFR is a marking for Sheffield forged razor or something to that effect. And yeah, my suspicion would be it's not a Wostenholm. Probably someone else named Wostenholm briefly made razors and tried to skirt the trademark while still cashing in on the other Wostenholm's reputation. Wostenholm had a half dozen trademarks over the years, but the look of them was fairly consistent and that bold, rather unembellished font is unlike what I've seen from them.

Top Bottom