What's new

Razor ID Help

I recently won this item on the bay.

Is this razor in the wrong case? I cant seem to find it on mr-razor.com

I just want to know what year this set is from.

Thanks in advance.

That looks like a mid-to-late '20s case, and could be the original for that razor. Check out Mr-razor.com Old Type page - a similar case was used for promotional razors, such as the one from the Shriners convention in 1924.

Looks like a good head that will clean up nicely. Beware of the old blade that the seller so generously left in the razor . . .:cursing:

Not sure about the handle . . . almost looks to me like the tube may have separated from the top. Since 99.9% of those handles developed a crack (and some actually split) yours may be hidden by creative product placement in the photographs. :sneaky2:

Clean it with Scrubbing Bubbles, an old toothbrush, and hot water. Do not use any harsh polishes on it - that can harm the lacquer coating over the gold.

Good score, and enjoy the shave!!

I think you're right, I hadnt noticed they were seperated a little. I'm sure where the blade rests is full of crap I will have to clean out since that blade has been in the razor for decades. But still, not bad for $10.

Got it yesterday and it cleaned up nicely. The blade wasnt in it and the plating was nice. Had the two cracks, but was strong enough to shave with.

Man is this razor aggressive. Maybe the old blades being thicker was much better for it, I didnt get any razor burn, except for a part where I brushed my lip with the blade. I wanted an old type figuring it would shave like the gillette new, nice and mild. I think Im going back to the new! Will probably clean this up a bit more and put it up on the BST for someone else to try.

You should think about giving that razor a fair trial. Perhaps three or four days to see if you get the hang of it. I find the old style razor to be a very nice shaver - perhaps check it out a few more times?? Maybe switch out blades?

Just a thought!

I wouldn't give up on it yet.
When I first started using a DE the Old Style Gillettes where terribly aggressive and gave me second degree razor burn, but after they sat in the drawer for about a year they became great shavers.
Must have been something about that dark drawer.
I know that the dark closet makes my pants shrink. :laugh:

Top Bottom