What's new

Razor handle repair question

I have an Edwin Jagger DE86 and earlier this week I was changing the blade and somehow the threading in the handle got stripped. Now it won't hold the head of the razor in securely. It seems to be just the outer most threading, since if you remov the baseplate and just screw in the top piece it goes in far enough to hold.

But is there any easy way to fix this? Right now I replaced the handle with another spare handle I got when I bought a tech off marketplace, but it would be nice if there is any way I could actually fix it.

It's also kind of frustrating since it is only 6 years old. Other razors I have are more than 10 times that and work fine.

@Kel Varnsen ...if, you are talking about the 'threads' inside the handle, you could simply run a 'Tap' with appropriate diameter and thread pitch down the hole and 'chase' the threads. I'd try finger pressure first and see if that works.

b/r

ON_1

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
@Kel Varnsen ...if, you are talking about the 'threads' inside the handle, you could simply run a 'Tap' with appropriate diameter and thread pitch down the hole and 'chase' the threads. I'd try finger pressure first and see if that works.

b/r

ON_1
Yep. That’s what I’d do. They also sell something called a thread chaser. I never saw one. I think it’s like a tap, but maybe cheaper material?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have an Edwin Jagger DE86 and earlier this week I was changing the blade and somehow the threading in the handle got stripped. Now it won't hold the head of the razor in securely. It seems to be just the outer most threading, since if you remov the baseplate and just screw in the top piece it goes in far enough to hold.

But is there any easy way to fix this? Right now I replaced the handle with another spare handle I got when I bought a tech off marketplace, but it would be nice if there is any way I could actually fix it.

It's also kind of frustrating since it is only 6 years old. Other razors I have are more than 10 times that and work fine.
Found this using google.

A cutting tap is designed to create new threads, whereas a chaser tap is designed to clean, re-form and restore existing threads. If you want to clean-up existing female threads (maybe the threaded hole has burrs or a bit of corrosion, etc.), it's best to use a chaser, or follower tap instead of a common cutting tap.

Top Bottom