What's new

razor differences...what?

A DE razor holds a blade bewteen 2 pieces of metal. Screwing these together flexes the blade. This flex would seem to be a consistent flex. How then are different blade holders (i.e.: razors) any different from each other? Is it just the quality of the build (i.e.: the threads are well made, the handle is well balanced, etc..)? I have a Parker 13r and I find it....well, it's my only razor, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Educate me, please (and I'll do more searches too).

Some look cooler than others:blink: Some heads are designed so that the exposed gap of the blade is greater some less. Some blade holders are heavier, some lighter, some are silver colored and some are gold. There are lots of differences. My suggestion is to buy about a dozen different styles and see how they differ. It's fun and time consuming.:biggrin1:

G

gone down south

Among other things -

Shape and size of the head changes the angle and direction of strokes relative to the skin. Weight and weighting of the razor changes how it glides across the skin. Distance between blade cutting edge and safety bar and angle of blade relative to the safety bar changes aggressiveness of shave. Length, shape and weighting of the handle change your grip and angle of attack. Presence or lack of teeth or combs, and their shape and size, change for the lather is removed from the skin prior to blade making contact.

A DE razor holds a blade bewteen 2 pieces of metal. Screwing these together flexes the blade. This flex would seem to be a consistent flex. How then are different blade holders (i.e.: razors) any different from each other? Is it just the quality of the build (i.e.: the threads are well made, the handle is well balanced, etc..)? I have a Parker 13r and I find it....well, it's my only razor, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Educate me, please (and I'll do more searches too).

If this mystery is important to you, I suggest you find an adjustable razor someplace and then look at the relationship between the blade and the guard at all the different settings. Actually since you only have only one razor you owe it to yourself to get at least one more anyway.

Len

It is the "flex" of the blades that made me give up on DE's..too much to get the right angle n ALwayS got the rightside jaw area with blade marks
went elsewhere that workds (still wetshaving)

If this mystery is important to you, I suggest you find an adjustable razor someplace and then look at the relationship between the blade and the guard at all the different settings. Actually since you only have only one razor you owe it to yourself to get at least one more anyway.

Len

Good idea, Len.

They don't all flex the blade the same way either. Some bend it more, some bend it and give it a twist (slant), and some don't bend it at all.

Dang it. I knew it. I was trying to not start another hobby! Time to hide my wallet again.

Well, look at it this way... Generally speaking, many new and vintage DE razors can be had for under $50 US (some well under). Even if you go with the most expensive blades for the razor, you are under $40 for a 100 (i.e., 40 cents a blade). Now, look at how much you are paying for a pack of cartridges for your current multi-blade razor. Odds are if you space out new razor purchases to one every few months you probably are not going to end up spending any more on razors than you already are spending.

--
Bill

Well, look at it this way... Generally speaking, many new and vintage DE razors can be had for under $50 US (some well under). Even if you go with the most expensive blades for the razor, you are under $40 for a 100 (i.e., 40 cents a blade). Now, look at how much you are paying for a pack of cartridges for your current multi-blade razor. Odds are if you space out new razor purchases to one every few months you probably are not going to end up spending any more on razors than you already are spending.

--
Bill

Bill is right...

...until you discover shaving brushes and shave soaps and ... :001_rolle

(or if you have really good self-control)

For the record, I said he wouldn't be spending any more on razors.. I never said anything about the shaving experience as a whole :).

--
Bill

Top Bottom