What's new

Razor blade challenge

Seventh Shave...

...and last one with the Homex blade. It's not called a challenge for nothing. It was a challenge not to bin this blade after the first shave. And a challenge to shave 6 more times with it. But ever since I started the Excalibur journey of blade longevity, one week of shaves was the first milestone I shot for. When I started to exceed 7 shaves and entered double-digit numbers, I thought I could take any blade to 7. The Super Homex tested that presumption.

However, I can't say the Homex is the worst blade I've ever shaved with. While the Homex has provided uncomfortable shaves, it miraculously doesn't irritate me, nor have I nicked or cut myself. No, the Homex isn't the worst blade. That spot is reserved for the Perma-Sharp Super, which my face reacts to terribly.

I've heald off starting with this blade because I've had a record (for me) 5-day run with the QShave blades that came with my QShave razor. I was going to test these in my EJ DE86 anyway, because my technique with my QShave razor hasn't quite gelled yet. Sometimes a get a weeper or two if I'm not careful with the QShave.

So here is how the first shave with the Super Homex in the EJDE86 went:

Prep- shower and was face with facial soap
Razor- EJ E86
Blade- SuperHomex
Cream- ZIHR Heavy Beard shave cream.
Aftershave- RazoRock Emperor

One pass WTG on face and neck. I could tell at this point, I wasn't getting much removal on the neck. It had only been 24 hours since my last save, and my beard doesn't grow a lot in a day. (The ZIRH Heavy Beard cream was something I picked up at a discount; if I was buying ZIRH full price, I'd have gotten the regular cream.) Reapplied cream to neck and tried another WTGs. Reapplied cream to neck and tried XTG. About the same; this blade/razor mix just wasn't getting me to a good shave or clean neck.

Since I was on my way to work, I reapplied cream one more time and used the QShave on 2 with the QShave blade with 5 previous shaves ATG. This at least started to take down the whiskers. I did a XTG and ATG pass, carefully without reapplying cream, and came up with a reasonably close shave.

All in all the Super Homex couldn't beat a QShave blade with 5 shaves already on it, albet in a different razor.

Tomorrow I'm going to brave the Super Homex in the QShave. I'll try the Proraso White cream if I have time. I'm reluctant to do that, and if I get a nick, the SH blade is coming out.

Admittidly, the ZIRH cream isn't my go-to soap/cream, that's Italian Barber Amici or Proraso White . But I use the ZIRH when I don't want to lather, it does perfectly well with other blades/razor combos.

My next least favorite blade in the DE86 is Derby. But it gets me though at least one shave with a new blade. This SH didn't get that done.

Yester days shave number 2 on the second blade.
Sincevthe first shave was pretty good, I decided to put the blade in a different razor. I went with my Asylum Evolution. Well it deffintly didn't shave well in that razor or three other different razors. With this said, this must be one of those razor specific blades that works well in some razors but not others.
I put the blade back into the the Canadian 1932 thin handle tech and finished my shave. It was a DFS this time around.
I haven't shaved today because I have a new soap arriving today that I want to test out.

Used a new SH in my QShave at #2 with Proraso White. This time, while the blade dragged a bit, I actually got a reasonably close shave. Really not crazy about the feel of the blade and the shave. Not sure life is long enough to use a blade like this.

Prep- shower and was face with facial soap
Razor- QShave at 2
Blade- SuperHomex
Cream- Proraso White
Aftershave- RazoRock Emperor

Resurrected a Wizamet Super Iridium that I rode through the 2016 One-Blade-in-Feburary challenge with. Today's shave with it was number 33, and it was superior to any shave I got from the Super Homex.

And to think, I had binned the Wizamet because I thought it was done. Hah!

Took a minor hiatus from this challenge. Had to try out a new razor that I purchased and put a couple of shaves on it. Came back to the Super Homex today and tried to get another shave out of it. It would have been shave no#4, but the blade pulled and tugged almost from the get go. Deep 6 it, and threw in the 2nd blade into my Futur set to 2.5.
A comfy, 2 pass shave with very little irritation. No nics, cuts or weepers and one DFS finish. Felt just like the first blade I put in. I have noticed, for me at least that the blade performs better in the 2nd and 3rd shaves. Just feels a little smoother, not as rough or dull like during the first shave. That's just my experience...... Shave #2 tomorrow.....
IMG_0653.JPG

Shave #2 on Blade #2.
A very nice close and comfy shave. A 2 pass with an extended buff and touch up pass. No irritation, nics or cuts. Just a tiny weeper on the chin and the cold water rinse took care of that. Then finished off with Thayers, Nivea and an awesome Proraso Sandalwood A/S Splash. Why I have not used/attained this aftershave sooner is beyond me. Good stuff.....
IMG_0655.JPG

Sorry for checking out on this test. Recieved a few razors in the past few days and had to put a couple of them through some initial shaves. I have no discipline or control when it comes to shiny new razors......:001_tongu

Shave #3 with blade 2.
An excellent 3 pass shave with just one little weeper that the cold water rinse took care of. I set the Futur on 3-2.5-2 and it was a very, very close shave. The best one so far with the Super Homex blade. The slightest tingle from the alum pass and A/S Splash, and smooth as a whistle, near BBS. Like I've stated before, I get my best shaves with this blade during shave 2 & 3. Hopefully it will hold up for the next one.
IMG_0700.JPG

Top Bottom